How do you spread CA glue?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SURESHOT

Reaction score
So I tried searching the forum and couldnt find answers. I have a TLP kit that wants me to spread ca glue on the fins using an index card. Are there any other methods out there? anything that might be easier? how do you guys seal fins with CA?

There are a couple of CAs that come in a bottle with a brush. It is thin, and just brushes on where you want it. In my area, Wmart or Lowes carries Instant Krazy Glue Color Change Brush Formula. It goes on purple so you can see it, then dries clear.

Someone already said Qtips (I use them a lot for this), cardstock is good too. It all depends on the contour (curved or flat, etc) and surface texture of where you are spreading the CA.

One other tool that I have found works great on flat balsa: old credit cards. This is a significant step up from cardstock, especially if you are just trying to get a light coating and want to 'push' the CA across the surface quickly. The credit card is thick and strong enough that you can put considerably more force on the tool to work the CA. Plus, if the edge gets dirty or messed up with CA, trim off the edge and keep on going.

I just use the tip of the bottle itself. I get the pink bottles of "ultra-thin" CA from Hobby Lobby (usually the small bottles so I use it up fairly regularly) and squeeze it out onto the part and sorta lay the bottle tip over on its side and then use that to spread the stuff around as needed. You can apply more on the go as you work by squeezing a bit more out of the bottle. Just don't suck anything back into the bottle.

Works for me! OL JR :)

I just use the tip of the bottle itself. I get the pink bottles of "ultra-thin" CA from Hobby Lobby (usually the small bottles so I use it up fairly regularly) and squeeze it out onto the part and sorta lay the bottle tip over on its side and then use that to spread the stuff around as needed. You can apply more on the go as you work by squeezing a bit more out of the bottle. Just don't suck anything back into the bottle.

Works for me! OL JR :)

That's exactly the same I do it.

Whichever method you use, just make sure you're in a well ventillated area or outside. The fumes can get really bad. They burn my eyes like a nuclear onion!

Whichever method you use, just make sure you're in a well ventillated area or outside. The fumes can get really bad. They burn my eyes like a nuclear onion!

I searched for 'nuclear onion' and this came up.

The Onion: Nuclear Energy Advocates Insist U.S. Reactors Completely Safe Unless Something Bad Happens

Hmmm....

Back