MMX Motors on sale at Hobbylinc

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's not a bad price. Since I buy the majority of my motors from hobbylinc it will be very convienient for me.

Interesting. My local hobby shop charges 8.99 for the same engines. No wonder I don't buy anything from him.

Interesting. My local hobby shop charges 8.99 for the same engines. No wonder I don't buy anything from him.

Larry:
Buying MMX motors by the Pack can be very expensive no matter where you buy them.
I always try to purchase at least a case (12 - 6 motor packs) at a time. This helps both in cost per motor and shipping. Also look for deals like the SSVS Quest puts out every so often. The old SSVS packaging contained 50 motors along with all the LPB's & a complete launcher/ controller for under 50 bucks it's like getting all the other stuff for free! I beleive the last SSVS release only has 25 motors but it's still a decent deal.
Try getting together with other MMX flyers in your club to do a bulk purchase of MMX motors in cases from your favorite local hobby store. Our club did thia a few years back buying I believe 11 or 12 cases of MMX-II motors bringing the cost of each motor including shipping to LESS THEN 48 cents each.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
My first Micromaxx rockets came with the set from Quest for $62. This was a number of months ago. You are correct, there were 25 rocket motors included. I recently purchased 30 rocket engines from Fliskits for a little less than $30. Seemed like a good deal. Thanks for the suggestions.

My first Micromaxx rockets came with the set from Quest for $62. This was a number of months ago. You are correct, there were 25 rocket motors included. I recently purchased 30 rocket engines from Fliskits for a little less than $30. Seemed like a good deal. Thanks for the suggestions.

Larry, Quest will periodically put that set on sale for about $35 and they throw in an extra 25 motors and igniters. It's usually around christmas time I think.

That would be a deal. I wish Quest would cut the cost of shipping, though. I think I paid about 12 dollars for the set last time ===UGH

That would be a deal. I wish Quest would cut the cost of shipping, though. I think I paid about 12 dollars for the set last time ===UGH

Unfortunately I don't see that happening anytime soon. With the cost of fuel and other factors continuing to raise, shipping costs for just about everything are expected to increase.

Ah the Ol'e shipping cost game.

Being a former Purchasing agent among other things, shipping cost have always been something that is present in the mind.
How to leverage this expense can be a challange.

Specifically with reguard to Model rocketry material purchases: I try to keep a running list of needed, required, and Wanted new purchase items. Trying hard not to run completely out of any one thing while I'm compiling a new order. If buying kits, Parts, building materials; I try to group them with as many other items as practical for the same vendor or manufacturer before placing an order. Give yourself a period of time to consider additional items before you buy. When looking at these Items it can help to buy an extra or two toward building your "Stock" selection. You'll have to determine your needs and ability to "Stock" items that might be needed in some future project. Room for storage is alway a concern.

Motors are another issue entirely: First you want to really think hard about how you fly what motors and how often.. Where can you store you motors and in what condition...open packages, singley or unopened packs. in a controlled environment not out it the garage... How many will i use in a flying years? Is there a specific motor I use more then others?.. do I want to Stock certain motors to ensure availability when I want?
Personally I try to make bulk motor purchases from a well known vendor or manufacturer that "I" trust. I only purchase motors in the fall or winter months to more or less guarentee my shippment won't be sitting around in a 120+deg trailler stuck in some freight terminal for days or a week during the summer (Heat Cycling to the unth). It is also a decent Idea to over stock scarce or hard to find motors you like to fly. A10-0's for instance; while they were Oop with my BP stock I had and still have plenty.
By making bulk purchases from a single vendor, I can shop around for the best prices and sometimes (depending on the vendor(s) and size of the order) get reduced or FREE shipping as well as deep discounts on the cost of the motors in the first place.

Just some food for thought and Ideas for saving (in the long run) some money on Hobby related items.
Hope this helps.

Last edited:

I have a problem with Quests high shipping as well. If another company can sell Quest products at a lower price and with half the shipping then why can't Quest? That said the special deal that quest offers on the MMX sets is really just too good to pass up. I have a drawer full of unsused MMX LPBs from previous orders of these sets but the excellent Quest launch contollers and pads get extensive use. I'll order another one or two of these if they offer it again this year.

Micromeister makes some real good points about buying in bulk. I often wonder however if he doesn't have a bit more disposable income than most of us.

Micromeister makes some real good points about buying in bulk. I often wonder however if he doesn't have a bit more disposable income than most of us.

OH My Goodness NO Jeff:
Like just about everyone I'm on a very strict budget. Single income family...tho it's just the two of us these days we started with 5 of us. To this day I still have a very limited Hobby budget, sometimes takes several months to save enough to make the bulk purchases we're discussing. That said it is these bulk purchases that allow me to (again over time) stock pile enough materials that I can do my building on the fairly "cheap".

One example is good Old PNC-80K 8.15" long BT-80 styrene Nose cones. A good while back while I was Up Scaling everything, I went directly to Estes asking if I could purchase 10 or 20 of these cones. After a couple calls with customer service I ended up with 16 (price break point) that cost me at the time $2.85 each plus shipping While I was at it I added a couple scale kits and some other stuff which greatly reduced the impact of the shipping without greatly raising the overall cost. I still have I believe prehaps 8 left.... What's the cost of a PNC-80K Nosecone today?
Body Tubes: In the early 90's I and a few other club members went in on a trailer load of 36" craftpaper BT-5 through BT-101 and 5" Tubes from the same manufacturer that makes Estes tubes. Took me more than 5 months to save the investment money for this purchase but To this day I have just about Any Size Standard Estes body tube I want in 36" length for under a buck. How much are body tubes today..in 18" lengths? Exact same specs and I think we got a little better quality as the glassine seams seem to me to be matched better:) When MMX came into being I did pretty much the same thing with another tube supplier to fill in the gap T2 (.246") to T4 (.448") in white glassine 30" tubes.
Balsa and other Woods: much the same, do the research, price around in more or less bulk quantities, buy stock and store carefully. If you have the capacility buy Blocks or planks to saw your own sheets (decent table top bandsaw with rip fence). "Also helps to have a friend send a Balsa log section ever so often from Costa Rica" LOL.

As mentioned all that is necessary to amass such a building stock is time, storage space. (I live in an 800Sq Ft townhouse) and saved money for the initial purchases. That's how I stretch my limited hobby budget.
Perhaps a bit more planning then most want to invest in Hobby materials but hopefully might help with ideas that everyone can use to stretch their budgets.

John, where in the world do you put everything in 800 sq ft?? That's about what I have in the apartment my wife and I live in. My wife has her craft room and I have my rocket closet (shared with my clothes) :) You must be very well organized.

John, where in the world do you put everything in 800 sq ft?? That's about what I have in the apartment my wife and I live in. My wife has her craft room and I have my rocket closet (shared with my clothes) :) You must be very well organized.

LOL!!! Using ever nook & crannie....plus 3 sheds in the small back yard. The better 2/3rd has the little bedroom/convertable craft room and one shed, I have models all over the house but mainly confined to the basement & 10x10x12ft shed. everything else we work around LOL... Why do you think I've looks at Micro Maxx as a God Sent!..I was/am all but out of Built model storage room LOL!!!!
it's small by we think it's cozy:)

Latest posts

Back