finless Design

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cdw.lighting

Reaction score
I am currently working on a completely dynamic stability system for rockets, with the reduced cost of 3 axis gyroscopes, and accelerometers, I feel like I could probably make this happen. The question of the hour is, once a rocket is coasting, what would be the ideal way to stabilise it. I had been thinking about a pendulum attached to servos locked into in line position until burnout and using servos to shift the balance of the rocket either in pitch or yaw.

I know this topic has been mentioned before, but once project I am dreaming about is building a scale Minotaur launch system. Since the Minotaur does not cost within earth's atmosphere it isn't affected by wind forces during it's coast phase. I know fin-less rockets have been discussed but I am not sure if they were really going to be feasible until recently.

Thanks for any info anyone might be willing to provide that might guide me to a solution to the coasting question.

very excited for this build. I'm not sure if there's any requirements for stabilization or anything under NAR or Tripoli HPR code, but if there isn't them i'm extremely excited to see how this turns out.

any idea on the size/power of the gyroscopes?

The only thing that springs to mind (in my sleep-addled state) is possibly some kind of RCS, since you'll have the onboard gyros.

You could use small CO2 canisters, and place RCS ports around the tip of the NC. Since it only needs to run during the coast phase, it could be done.

Good luck!

G.D.

very excited for this build. I'm not sure if there's any requirements for stabilization or anything under NAR or Tripoli HPR code, but if there isn't them i'm extremely excited to see how this turns out.

any idea on the size/power of the gyroscopes?

I am looking at a line of ic based gyroscopes made by STmicroelectronics.

If you are successful you will probably bring yourself under the scrutiny of the Department of Homeland Security. Not that you should be scrutinized, but you will be.

Back