Most Unlikely Object to see in Flight (Odd-Rocs) Gallery

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Micromeister

Micro Craftman/ClusterNut
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
While we're talking about Odd-Rocs. What's the weirdest or most unlikely Object you've seen turned into a Flying Mod-Roc?

Over the years there have been some REAL Goofy things tried.. most with success some not so much.....

Here's one I though was about as far from something I'd see flying on a rocket motor.... A Brick! Others in the stable are a golf putter, unbrella, and Stack of Pumpkins but the Wildest not so good object was a 1/3 Scale Porcelain Throne...Yet a Toilet...not my creation but sure was worth seeing though a number of the Range crew tried in vain to get this guy to explain how it would be stable...As expected it wasn't at all. but being almost entirely styrofoam not that much of a threat.....did I mention it was a 3 D12 cluster:)
so here are two to start: at Good and not so good, but very entertaining Oddest of the Odd... you folks add more!

117c4-sm_The Brick 3 Pic Flight_02-92.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Slight segway...a real flying toliet:

5662156774_11cfb6c666_o.jpg

FC

Back in my younger and less intelligent days, I flew a potato. Believe it was on an A8-3, and it barely made it 30 feet in the air. Called it "Spudnik" if I recall correctly.

The Monolith - basically a brick. If there's much wind around, it weathercocks hard and turns itself vertical, which I suppose is really the correct orientation. :)

079monolith_small.jpg

081monolith_sky1_small.jpg

The Trabant. About the least likely car you'd expect to fly. As a bonus, it's a glider.

001trabant.jpg

003trabant_sky1.jpg

007trabant_glide.jpg

OH Man How KEWL is the Trabant!
Adrian That is one of the neatest Odd-Roc Gliders i've seen!
First Rate job! Reminds me that back in the 60's they promised me Flying CARS....by the turn of the century....well we're here...so Where are our Flying CARS! LOL Another government shame.... LOL!!!!

Gliding Trabant LOL!!! Man that's a great oddroc. Actually saw a couple of real ones in Dresden this summer. We were told the body is some pressed cardboard material...following any damage it lost its water resistance and would disintegrate immediately in the next rainstorm. And there was a 15+ year waiting list to get one.

I originally built this for the LDRS XXX oddroc challenge. Opted not to fly it to take advantage of the 50k waiver to finish up minimum diameter rocket.

flyingpie.jpg

pizzaclose.jpg

Special thanks for stickershock. He did an outstanding job making vinyl out of a photo I took of dinner one night.

G-75 reload and private launch, no video sorry, It was Becky's first flight of 3, her last flight was at a wedding reception, she was requested by the Bride to fly, I added wings and she flew better LOL

Here's the test model for the 4x upscale coming later this year:
tater1.jpg
tater2.jpg

Take care,

Duane

Hi Mark,

I still have the helmet you gave me hanging in a prominent my shop. Good to see you back in the hobby.

Take care,

Duane
Now living near Des Moines , IA

What are you doing in Iowa? Last I recall, you were teaching in PA. Have you been flying all of this time?

Wow! I sort of forgot about this Theme thread.

I'll have to add a bunch of the current Odd-Roc's in my fleet. There are quite a few so I'll just post the pics and you all can comment if you like:)
Going back to my "First Fleet" first Odd Roc's and work forward from there in the late 1960's........

Birdie-a-sm_Shuttlecock Odd-Roc_08-16-71.jpg

Triad-1a-sm_Clustered 3-2stage (7motor) b&w_02-04-72.jpg

The Point-1-sm_1st Fleet b&w_04-15-72.jpg

017-sm_R2-D2 Odd-Roc_02-12-86.jpg

019-sm_UFO (flying Saucer)_03-10-89.jpg

031b-sm_Birdie_.5A-C6 Odd-Roc_06-10-89.jpg

038a-sm_UFO 2 stage_10-28-89.jpg

090a-sm_M48-A5 Vampire Tank Odd-RocPMC_03-02-91.jpg

Last edited:
I like the M48 tank. Hobby Lobby had a 1/35 Tamiya M60A1 with reactive armor marked down to $9 and I could not resist, I was thinking it would make a good nose cone for a silly, fantasy rapid tank deployment system. At that scale it would need some serious power.

Continuing with the current fleet Odd-Roc's 08-05 to 10-1996. Starts with one of my Favorite Odd-Rocs a 5 - D12-3 Clustered Crayon ending with a few of my Halloween Theme creations.

190a-sm_CoffeeCream&Sugar_08-15-96.jpg

194a-sm_PB&J Sandwich_08-19-96.jpg

199a-sm_Flyin Ghost_10-09-96.jpg

Attachments

• 192a-sm_Crayon 2D_Clu-Odd-Roc_08-17-96.jpg
    192a-sm_Crayon 2D_Clu-Odd-Roc_08-17-96.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 69
Back