Most Unlikely Object to see in Flight (Odd-Rocs) Gallery

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do you have version #2 in the works?

I have the parts in a box and have been planning to build a new, hopefully better flying, Jolly Roger for some years. It just hasn't bubbled up to the top of the to-do list yet.

-- Roger

The ESTES UFO!!!! I remember that from when I was a kid! Now I MUST HAVE ONE!

The ESTES UFO!!!! I remember that from when I was a kid! Now I MUST HAVE ONE!

LOL! The Old Estes UFO was a fun flyer. Their more recent re-incarnation was call the Snitch. Not sure why but it was yellow rather then the silverish-grey of the UFO.
Unfortunately both are Oop. You may find one or either on e-bay but another alternative would be to Clone one of the Centuri Flying Saucer it was all Card-stock and fairly easy to build.
See my One Eyed, One Horned Flying purple people eater saucer below:) It's lighter then either of the all plastic Estes saucers making C6-0 flights a bit higher:)

038a-sm_UFO 2 stage_10-28-89.jpg

166-sm_Flying Saucer (Centuri)_01-06-95.jpg

Attachments

• 634b-d4c-sm_2-Stage NIght UFO lit (lights off)_08-04-07.jpg
    634b-d4c-sm_2-Stage NIght UFO lit (lights off)_08-04-07.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 72
  • 019-sm_UFO (flying Saucer)_03-10-89.jpg
    019-sm_UFO (flying Saucer)_03-10-89.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 76
Here are my Estes UFO and my Quest SPEV saucer at the July NARHAMS launch. Most people look at me funny if I don't call the Estes saucer a Snitch. :)

The wire landing springs are long gone and I had to break out the spare retainer at the July launch.

19189128493_07c4552b54_z.jpg

Very cool pizza table and lamp. This made me think of the leg lamp from Christmas Story, if you could get it to light up, what a hoot that would be.

Tupperware® popcorn bowl on an I55 Mellow.

[video=youtube;ffhZF5TSHPY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffhZF5TSHPY[/video]

Wow!, that gives me hope that my idea of trying to make a flying model rocket version of the Space Battleship Yamato (from Star Blazers) is not that crazy after all.

A guy from Japan had one at NARAM a few years back but did not fly it. I went with tractor motors but the Space Battleship has the motor in back.

A cat seems unlikely to me:

33572203423_382a78c2da_b.jpg

The "rock-cat" (rockat) was built by URRG member John Pembroke and flown this past weekend. Ducted tubing deplows the parachute from the cat's right ear. A curled up tail was the third fin around the back. Photo shows him getting a little gassy, just before liftoff (smelly cat?). The actual flight on a B4-4 (IIRC) was pretty straight and true; I'd guess it got maybe 200'. It flew surprisingly well.

Just found this gallery... Love some of these old posts. Including Micromeister's posts (RIP).

Back when Estes was blowing out all of their Mega Mosquitoes, there was a rash of build threads that were doing all kinds of things to them (lots of steampunk designs).

I made a comment that with all the Mosquitoes that were going to appear at launches, we'd need bug spray. And thus the idea for DEEP SPACE OFFL (Puns&Jokes) was born. My L1 scratchbuild.

15306702797_1accd7679c_k.jpg

That photo was of it still in primer... The final paint job was done by the time I cert'd (see the image below) and I cleaned up the "metal" (chrome Trim Monokote) bits.

21584510095_ffe4d7e164.jpg

people respond that the forward set of fins (on my sea killer rocket that is my favorite) will cause stability problems. how do some of these rockets that have extremely large forward fins not have have stability problems?

people respond that the forward set of fins (on my sea killer rocket that is my favorite) will cause stability problems. how do some of these rockets that have extremely large forward fins not have have stability problems?
There are powers of the Dark Side that will allow one to do things some may consider...unnatural. You will not learn them from a Jedi. Widely spaced motor pods, fins up front, motors up front on an asymmetric airplane design like an Ekranoplan, all hallmarks of Oddroc scum and villainy, we must be cautious. :)

There is a place that we Bene Gesserit find terrifying, stability without motion or fins in back. Many men like BPS have tried, but they have all crashed and died on landing! One will come who can transmute the water of life. Until that time we wait and mindsim.

Can you think outside the box young animal? The Guild uses pure mathematics and vast amounts of spice. Rocsim and chem dog are a dangerous cocktail, you end up trapped in your parent's basement, swollen with delivery pizza innocence.

We diligently watch for the oddroc abominations. Off to the RSO table we go, bringing along the BOX! Are you human or oddroc scum? :)

Back