Buck Shot Build.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Micromeister

Micro Craftman/ClusterNut
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
A few early photos of Fliskits Buck Shot build. This one goes together really quick. laser cut fiberboard fins and centering rings make it sooo smooth I forgot to take several building step photos.

Planning on adding some external piping and other details once I've filled the body seams. Heres the base pics, such as they are.

It's been so Moist shall we say around here the last couple week or so I'll be waiting for the primer to dry for some time before sanding I think.

MM 383uc02-Lg_Buck Shot T5 NC woodhardened_09-05-11.jpg

MM 383uc03b-Lg_Fins attach on Jig_09-05-11.jpg

MM 383uc04-Lg_MMT, LL & Tail Ring installed_09-05-11.jpg

MM 383uc05-Lg_1st Antenna & details appled_09-11-11.jpg

MM 383uc06-Lg_1st 3coat Primer_09-11-11.jpg

Micro you have been busy! Nice detailing on all of the Flis Kits Micros!

Micro you have been busy! Nice detailing on all of the Flis Kits Micros!

Thanks Keith:
Not so much Busy as Sorta Stuck inside for almost two solid weeks with Rain, Rain and more rain.... Last weekend was the first time we've seen the sun in so long my eyes didn't want to stay open outside LOL!!!

The Buck Shot is going to be a lot of fun to fiddle with. I'm looking at some Steam punking additions once the Body seams are taken care of. Perhaps even a relief valve or two:)

Man-o-man,Ive said it before and Ill say it again.I dont know how you do it.You must have nerves of steel. I dont think (well,I KNOW) I could not sit still long enough for the micro detailing you put on your builds. Looking good!!!!!!

Thanks Scotty Dog:
I Hope this one come out like I've seen it in the minds eye... rarely do but hoping this one is an exception.
Trying to hold the weigh down but add a bunch of drips and drabs.

I know you've flown your Buck Shot a few times. What kind of height did it get?

Thanks Scotty Dog:
I Hope this one come out like I've seen it in the minds eye... rarely do but hoping this one is an exception.
Trying to hold the weigh down but add a bunch of drips and drabs.

I know you've flown your Buck Shot a few times. What kind of height did it get?
Well,sorry to say,I am horrible at guessing how high.Ill willl say it went higher than I imagined it would.

How do put those little rivites on such a small thing???in a row,the same size? what do you use?

[POW]Eagle159;234975 said:
How do put those little rivites on such a small thing???in a row,the same size? what do you use?

There are a couple ways to do rivets, holes and lines. Tools needed are Sign Painters pounce wheels. very fine custom made Dotters (needle or fine point probe), Sharpened tooth pick points, CA and some time.

Recently Micro-Mark came out with and HO and O scale raised rivet decal sheets that can be a HUGE help if you don't want to take the time to hand rivet.
Most of the round rivet patterns on the Ulysses model are from one of those sheets. most of the division line rivets are Needle placed CA over a pounced wheeled pattern. Like everything both methods have a short learning curve but can really add interest to most Scale or sport models. Have to say the Decal sheet is way quicker then Needle in Pin-vise applications, wish they had a couple more sizes:)

Somewhere I have a few snapshots of various panel line scribing and rivet dotting but for the life of me I can't put my fingers them. soon as I run across them again they'll be added.

Pounce Wheels-c-sm_3 CloseUp  2pic_11-01-06.jpg

PounceWheel Rivet Patterns-a-sm_11-03-06.jpg

PounceWheel Rivet Patterns-b-sm_11-03-06.jpg

Pin-vise- Needle-Lg_Panel Scribe_Sm Rivethead dotter_07-87.jpg

Stainless Probes-Lg_Panel Scribe_Rivethead dotter_09-90.jpg

Last edited:
spent some time with sanding blocks and glit sticks getting the body tube & Nosecone ready for the next step.

Working mostly rolled computer paper and light 67lb cardstock a few faux fin reinforcement angles, pipe & wall flanges and base weldment hatch perimeter have been added along with mitered pipe cooling vains installed. a bit if 1/2 round styrene conduit added here and there... now more sanding before additional vent tubes, piping and stuff can be fabricated and applied.

with our annual Night Launch coming up this weekend, it's not likely much progress will be made til next week sometime.

MM 383uc07a-Lg_Steam-punk Dodad add-ons_09-20-11.jpg

More Sanding, then adding a few more segments of piping, vents, flanges overflows and crew cabin port holes.
Now a bit more sanding around the additions then last rivet applications. a bit more fine sanding and base color (copper) I think.

MM 383uc07b-Lg_Buck Shot Piping & Port Holes_09-24-11.jpg

Copper gets my vote. I know my Buckshot looks good dressed in copper.

BuckShotc.JPG

Over the weekend had some time to get a couple coats of paint on the Buck Shot.
Layed down the gold undercoat of rustoleum Metallic Gold.
While I waited for it to dry had a chance to lay some 3m blue painters tape on a piece of glass and cut fine 3/64", 1/32" and 1/64" strips to be used over certain details or areas to remain gold or silver as accents.
Took most of Saturday to complete the masking phase. Sunday morning the final Rustoleum Metallic Copper coat was sprayed and left to dry until well after noon.
All that remains now is a couple small Vessel name and number decals, tying on the 3/4" x 10" teflon Red streamer and a coat of Future. Should be no problem to have it ready for this weekends sport launch...YEAH!

MM 383uc08a-Lg_After Gold base, Mask details_10-08-11.jpg

MM 383uc08b_After Copper Coat & unmasking_10-09-11.JPG

very nice! Can't wait to see how this one performs. Keep us posted! :)

Thanks Jim:
Without the 3/4" x 10" teflon permanent wadding/Streamer she weighs in at 7.4grams. I don't expect the over all Liftoff weight to go much over 9.5grams. we'll have to see how she flys. Most larger frontal area micro's don't do as well, but should still get decent flights.
Hope to have photos and positive flight report next week if the darn weather will cooperate....I'm sick of rain for awhile;)...

Yeap KH! I think the steampunk theme worked well on this one. Thanks for the Kudo's.

Thanks Jim:
Without the 3/4" x 10" teflon permanent wadding/Streamer she weighs in at 7.4grams. I don't expect the over all Liftoff weight to go much over 9.5grams. we'll have to see how she flys. Most larger frontal area micro's don't do as well, but should still get decent flights.
Hope to have photos and positive flight report next week if the darn weather will cooperate....I'm sick of rain for awhile;)...

Yeap KH! I think the steampunk theme worked well on this one. Thanks for the Kudo's.

Now all you need to do is make it hiss, clank and shoot steam out. :y: :eyeroll:

Kind of looks like a submarine to me with the forward portholes. Anywhoo-Very nice job Mm. Glad ya went with those colors. Another one to add to the fleet! COOL!

Kind of looks like a submarine to me with the forward portholes. Anywhoo-Very nice job Mm. Glad ya went with those colors. Another one to add to the fleet! COOL!

Thank ye Scotty Dog...Those 1/8" dia. Port hole & flange pieces were a pain to work with but I think they sort of make the whole thing work. Spacing three of them around the Nose sort of balanced the other additions and rivet work.

Currently they are silver down in the recess but I'm thinking about changing the color to either a dark blue or black to give the illusion of glass.

Printed the decals last night, hope to apply the Name/number this evening to the tail ring and finish up any last minute after thoughts before the Future.
This is another one I can't wait to get in the air.

Keep everything you guys have two of crossed for some decent weather this coming weekend in the Maryland area.
I'd sure like to get this one and a few others recently completed in the air if we can have a few days without the heavens opening up with the wet stuff.

Here she its the UFP vessel Buck Shot. Motors have already been prepped for Saturdays "planned" Club sport launch....we'll see:fly:

MM 383p01-Lg_Buck Shot Decal & Futured_10-10-11.jpg

Well Shoot I added the SteamPunked Buck Shot Flight pics to Scotty Dogs Buck Shot thread...Doh! that's what happens when ya don't slow down and read stuff first.

Anyway the SteamPunked Buck Shot is a fine flier as well as good looking model.
Weather cocks pretty good even in 8-10mph breeze but made a wonderful first flight. I'm happy to say I even caught an in flight photo though a nearly missed it. Even a 9.8grams LOWt. the SteamPunked Buck Shot takes off Very FAST.
I'm with Scotty Dog! I really Like flying this model. it's kinda big and bulky but it's still a Hoot and a half to fly.

Attachments

• MM 383Lp01a_SteamPunked BuckShot on Pad_10-22-11.jpg
    MM 383Lp01a_SteamPunked BuckShot on Pad_10-22-11.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 35
  • MM 383Lp01b_Steampunked Buck Shot in flight_10-22-11.jpg
    MM 383Lp01b_Steampunked Buck Shot in flight_10-22-11.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 33
Back