Need some advice on what to do with R2

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What to do with R2

• Build him and fly him.

• Stash him back away.

• Sell him if the offer is right.

Results are only viewable after voting.

vigilante

Reaction score
Hey all. Found this old kit stashed away from years gone by and I can't decide what to do with it. I don't have a built one in my collection and would love to build/fly it but on the other hand it's still sealed and may be worth some $$ someday.

What would you guys do with it?

P1030245.jpg

P1030246.jpg

Last edited:
well, i don't know how old the kit is or how many were made, or anything about it. Personally, I am getting one in the mail soon and am planning to build it. Mine is a different packaging though so, who knows. Frankly I am not a collector of that sort of thing. I plan to enjoy it in the air and on display. Built. :)

-Z

Build it! Too bad we don't live in the same area, because I'd love to see an R2-D2 at a launch. Fire the motor with a Q2G2! :D

If I received one, I wouldn't necessarily turn down a generous offer for it, either.

It really needs more than the recommended C6-3 for a decent flight. If I built one to fly, I would probably use Aerotech D21 and 24 motors. YMMV.

My brother had one, flew great until it flew into a light pole and shattered.

Really fun launch. I've got my eye out to pick one or two up. I'd build it. They pull more than retail, but not nearly enough to be collectable.

Yeah, hobby stuff doesn't hold it's value the way licensed toys do. I recently tried to sell an old AMT/MPC Millennium Falcon from the Empire Strikes Back boxings....I made about 5 bucks.

Just build the thing, have fun and wow the kids when you send the little astromech skyward

You need a forth option, build an X-wing that is to scale with that R-2 so you have 2 ways to fly him!

:D

Ha!! That would be cool!

I'm thinking I will build it. I believe I will get more enjoyment out of it than the cash would bring, or stuffing it in a box for another 20yrs.

You know it's sad, but my 6yr looked at it and said "WHAT is that!?" (thoroughly not impressed)

I remember the first time I saw him at theater when the movie came out late summer of '77 I think. I thought it was the coolest thing I'd ever seen.

Mine flew pretty good on the recommended engine C6-3, sure a heck of a lot of fun to see in the air. On one of the flights she started coming down pretty quick, but at least the chute opened prior to landing on the dome.
R2Dsscamp004-1.jpg

R2Dsscamp005-1.jpg

R2Dsscamp003-1.jpg

DSC_0164.jpg

DSC_0165.jpg

DSC_0170.jpg

DSC_0171.jpg

Hey! Very nice! Thanks for the pics. Gives me a good reference for when I do mine.

How high do you think it went?

These come up pretty often for auction, and don't command a collectors type price, so build it. I prefer a 24mm mount, with extra nose weight. Best flights are on a D12-3, but a C11-3 works, as does an E18.

My boy was gifted the all plastic 18mm rear ejection with controller. It flies great on C6-3s but is a bit tricky to load the recovery. Build it. They are a ton of fun to fly.

Side note, Find some same thickness lexan and make some smae thickness patterns for when the fins break.

At a Freedom Launch a few years ago, I saw an R2D2 model attempt to fly on a K1100. The nose cap popped off sometime right around burnout.

Back