Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. #1
    Join Date
    3rd February 2011
    Location
    Iowa State University
    Posts
    817

    Chicago Rocket Mafia at LDRS XXX

    I have more pictures but this is it for now, pictures by Sather Ranum (SMR). Justin Farand, Gus piepenburg and I flew my rocket Carbon Nightmare on an L2375 White thunder. This flight really rocked and rolled! It hit 19,000 flat, just above mach 2 at 40 Gees. It was a picture perfect flight/recovery other that the fact that it took me 27 hours to find it! Pretty good for a 3" rocket on an "L"! Post pics if you have 'em!

    Manny
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Carbon Nightmare takeoff.jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	28.9 KB 
ID:	56631   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Carbon Nightmare close up.jpg 
Views:	156 
Size:	19.5 KB 
ID:	56632  
    Last edited by mannyskid; 6th September 2011 at 09:27 PM.
    Total Ns in 2014: 53,996 (P)
    Total flights in 2014: 8

    TRA #14100 Level 3

    KE0BUX

  2. #2
    Join Date
    20th February 2009
    Location
    Cayuga, Indiana
    Posts
    8,075
    Quote Originally Posted by mannyskid View Post
    I have more pictures but this is it for now, pictures by Sather Ranum (SMR). Justin Farand, Gus piepenburg and I flew my rocket Carbon Nightmare on an L2375 White thunder. This flight really rocked and rolled! It hit 19,000 flat, just above mach 2 at 40 Gees. It was a picture perfect flight/recovery other that the fact that it took me 27 hours to find it! Pretty good for a 3" rocket on an "L"! Post pics if you have 'em!

    Manny
    Manny,

    I told you you'd get it back--congrats!

    -Tim

  3. #3
    troj's Avatar
    troj is offline Wielder Of the Skillet Of Harsh Discipline, Potentate of Perilous Pans TRF_ADMIN.png
    Join Date
    19th January 2009
    Location
    In a house
    Posts
    13,866
    Quote Originally Posted by mannyskid View Post
    It was a picture perfect flight/recovery other that the fact that it took me 27 hours to find it!
    Nice flight, Manny!

    And better 27 hours than never.

    -Kevin

  4. #4
    Join Date
    3rd February 2011
    Location
    Iowa State University
    Posts
    817
    It all just worked out very good. Right as we were about to leave the event. I stoped to talk to Tim and Jim for a little while, Jim offered to help me find it, he pointed me in the right direction and what do you know, we finally got a signal again. Now, I have to get CJ a present...............

    Manny
    Total Ns in 2014: 53,996 (P)
    Total flights in 2014: 8

    TRA #14100 Level 3

    KE0BUX

  5. #5
    troj's Avatar
    troj is offline Wielder Of the Skillet Of Harsh Discipline, Potentate of Perilous Pans TRF_ADMIN.png
    Join Date
    19th January 2009
    Location
    In a house
    Posts
    13,866
    Quote Originally Posted by mannyskid View Post
    Now, I have to get CJ a present...............
    Might I suggest a gallon bottle of CA debonder?

    -Kevin

  6. #6
    Nice flight, glad you finally found it.

    Chuck

  7. #7
    Join Date
    23rd February 2009
    Location
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    254
    Quote Originally Posted by mannyskid View Post
    I have more pictures but this is it for now, pictures by Sather Ranum (SMR). Justin Farand, Gus piepenburg and I flew my rocket Carbon Nightmare on an L2375 White thunder. This flight really rocked and rolled! It hit 19,000 flat, just above mach 2 at 40 Gees. It was a picture perfect flight/recovery other that the fact that it took me 27 hours to find it! Pretty good for a 3" rocket on an "L"! Post pics if you have 'em! Manny
    Very nice flight. My 3 inch G10 rocket on an L640 Dual thrust only did 14.5 K. How much did yours weigh? Mine was 13 pounds loaded.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    3rd February 2011
    Location
    Iowa State University
    Posts
    817
    Mine weighed about 18 lbs. The reason why mine went 4500ft. higher is because the L2375 has ~2100 more Ns than the L640.

    Manny
    Total Ns in 2014: 53,996 (P)
    Total flights in 2014: 8

    TRA #14100 Level 3

    KE0BUX

  9. #9
    Join Date
    23rd February 2009
    Location
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    254
    Quote Originally Posted by mannyskid View Post
    Mine weighed about 18 lbs. The reason why mine went 4500ft. higher is because the L2375 has ~2100 more Ns than the L640.

    Manny
    I was looking at Thrustcurve.org and saw the total of 2225ns which made me wonder how it went higher. After checking the Cesaroni website I see it does have ~2100ns more at 4878ns total. Thrustcurve.org needs an update! Another example of why its important to cross check sources. Anyhow, great pics and nice results on your flight. Are you planning on going with a bigger motor in the future? I want to try the CTI L935 Imax but have heard that it can shred the Acme fin can.


  10. #10
    Join Date
    15th May 2009
    Location
    Northern Illinois Rocket Assembly and Test Facility (NIRATF)
    Posts
    1,662
    Quote Originally Posted by mannyskid View Post
    Jim offered to help me find it, he pointed me in the right direction and what do you know, we finally got a signal again.
    Jim would know... He has a LOT of experience finding stuff that flies out-a-sight. Do you have any idea, distance-wise, how far your rocket was laterally? Oklahoma?

    Congrats on getting her back. Nice flight.

    Wisconsin Organization of Spacemodeling Hobbyists
    Fox Valley Rocketeers
    Indiana Rocketry
    Quad Cities Rocketry Society

    2013 APCP: 48,397.3 Ns (18% P)
    Highest altitude achieved: 21,981' AGL

    "Gravity is a cruel and unpredictable mistress"

  11. #11
    Join Date
    3rd February 2011
    Location
    Iowa State University
    Posts
    817
    Quote Originally Posted by Threemorewishes View Post
    I was looking at Thrustcurve.org and saw the total of 2225ns which made me wonder how it went higher. After checking the Cesaroni website I see it does have ~2100ns more at 4878ns total. Thrustcurve.org needs an update! Another example of why its important to cross check sources. Anyhow, great pics and nice results on your flight. Are you planning on going with a bigger motor in the future? I want to try the CTI L935 Imax but have heard that it can shred the Acme fin can.

    I do plan on going with a bigger motor. At MWP this year I will be competeing in a little drag race with an 8000ns M2000 research load. I would say go with the L935. If you feel uncomfortable, you can always reinforce the fin can.

    Quote Originally Posted by SMR View Post
    Jim would know... He has a LOT of experience finding stuff that flies out-a-sight. Do you have any idea, distance-wise, how far your rocket was laterally? Oklahoma?

    Congrats on getting her back. Nice flight.

    Thanks Sather, and thanks for the pics. I found it aproximately 2.5 miles out from the flight line near that big oil rig to the south of the pasture.

    Manny
    Total Ns in 2014: 53,996 (P)
    Total flights in 2014: 8

    TRA #14100 Level 3

    KE0BUX

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Threemorewishes View Post
    I want to try the CTI L935 Imax but have heard that it can shred the Acme fin can.
    I've seen this flight (the only one?) happen. The conclusion was that it probably was an incident. It was a very old fin can and may have become a little brittle. It also had unknown history.

    But the L935 is a powerful motor.

    Jeroen

  13. #13
    Join Date
    19th January 2009
    Location
    Hole in the wall near Savannah, GA
    Posts
    4,117
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeroen_at_CTI View Post
    I've seen this flight (the only one?) happen. The conclusion was that it probably was an incident. It was a very old fin can and may have become a little brittle. It also had unknown history.

    But the L935 is a powerful motor.

    Jeroen
    I think that is about the only way an ACME fincan can be shredded..Those things are nearly indestructible!
    Chute Happens!!
    NAR 86940 L2
    TRA 12270 L3 09-01-12
    KF4GUL
    TeleTubby Fan, Unofficial King of Namby-Pamby Land

  14. #14
    Join Date
    18th January 2009
    Location
    Savannnah, Ga
    Posts
    4,318
    Quote Originally Posted by mannyskid View Post
    It all just worked out very good. Right as we were about to leave the event. I stoped to talk to Tim and Jim for a little while, Jim offered to help me find it, he pointed me in the right direction and what do you know, we finally got a signal again. Now, I have to get CJ a present...............

    Manny
    How's about a ChiTown Mafia shirt Xlarge! My skills failed me on Tues, mine [rocket] got away!
    Jim Hendricksen
    L-3 Tripoli 9693
    ICBM, Orangeburg SC - QCRS ,Princeton ILL - MDRA , Price Maryland - Woosh, Bong Wisconsin- ROCC, Charlotte NC
    "Made" member of Chicago & Carolina Rocket Mafia
    Rocketry...........an exact science.......but not exactly !!!

  15. #15
    Join Date
    18th September 2011
    Location
    Malfunction Junction, Indiana.
    Posts
    1,381
    Jim, i just learned that you were appointed to a TAP position and wanted to offer my congratulations! Its been along time coming.....sorry we did not get a chance too talk at LDRS but, we will at MWP9.
    To the guy who sat down with me 7 years ago and helped me get my L1 and L2 that day at a place call Walcott Ia. I can't think of anyone more deserving than yourself.
    If you do not recieve a CRM shirt from Mannyskid at Bong, i will have an extra one from own private stock to donate in October....call it well deserved present.
    Take care......
    Gustav "The Firestarter" Piepenburg.
    BluesRockS, CIA, Indiana Rocketry, OAMC, TWA, QCRS.
    Chicago Rocket Mafia, Public Enemy Aerospace.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    18th January 2009
    Location
    Savannnah, Ga
    Posts
    4,318
    Thank you Gus,

    I remember that day well.

    A perfectly built black Wildman on a H-123 for L-1

    Then after all had left, just you, me & Tim... you had the guts to fly a J-350 using motor ejection, no tracker at Walcott! [After you took the test] In a field surrounded by corn & beans.

    Not bad for all in one day!

    Unbelievably the darn thing landed ON the grass. Thinking back about that now, would you have done it knowing what you do now? LOL

    Jim

    Ps. I also remember you saving MY butt by bringing your pad to NSL so I could fly the Gone Bananas on a M-2200 skid in Indiana.
    Last edited by blackjack2564; 18th September 2011 at 06:53 PM.
    Jim Hendricksen
    L-3 Tripoli 9693
    ICBM, Orangeburg SC - QCRS ,Princeton ILL - MDRA , Price Maryland - Woosh, Bong Wisconsin- ROCC, Charlotte NC
    "Made" member of Chicago & Carolina Rocket Mafia
    Rocketry...........an exact science.......but not exactly !!!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •