Trailer workshop ideas?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SMR

Entropy Demonstrator
Reaction score
A year ago, my wife suggested I invest in a rocket trailer. (After I hauled my 60 pound upscale Death Star to a launch in Wisconsin, sticking out the sunroof of her car.) I ended up with a 6' x 10' vee-nosed trailer, which has been great. Rear ramp, side door, stand-up interior height, lots of room for stuff, but I still find myself packing in tubs and getting less organized as the launch progresses. I just got back from LDRS XXX, where I had the good fortune to see a few great trailers with built-in storage and/or work areas. What I think I would like is a bunch of storage drawers, with a work surface over the top. Like a small desk. I anticipate the usual launch site activities... assembling motors, ejection charges, cleaning casings, etc. So, before I spend a bunch of time making something, I thought I'd poll the membership and see what, if anything, you guys (and gals) would deem essential in a small, portable work station. I don't want to add a lot of weight, or lose a lot of volume, so it needs to be somewhat efficient. What have you seen, built, used, liked, dis-liked, wished for, etc. Lighting? Drawer size, depth. Cubby holes. Useful features? Unnecessary features. Wasted space. Pictures would be great, as would links to sites of related ideas. Thanks. Sather

IMG_4022.jpg

IMGP1973.jpg

IMGP6322.jpg

Last edited:
I don't have a trailer, not that I haven't thought about it. My eyes aren't what they used to be so besides the glasses, I also need light. I'm not sure I would want to be working inside the trailer. If you have to add lights inside, that makes everything more complicated.

I would tend to go more toward adding racks and storage areas to the trailer so I can store everything without worrying about it moving around or breaking during transport. Also make sure the gear is easily removable for quick setup.

I would consider a RV type awning so I don't have to deal with the gazebo any longer.

I don't have a trailer, not that I haven't thought about it. My eyes aren't what they used to be so besides the glasses, I also need light. I'm not sure I would want to be working inside the trailer. If you have to add lights inside, that makes everything more complicated.

I would tend to go more toward adding racks and storage areas to the trailer so I can store everything without worrying about it moving around or breaking during transport. Also make sure the gear is easily removable for quick setup.

I would consider a RV type awning so I don't have to deal with the gazebo any longer.

Thanks. All great ideas. I agree, the lighting in the trailer isn't the best to work with. Better at the rear near the ramp, not so good in the vee-nose front where I want to put this. Maybe a light under some overhead cabinets, directly over the workbench surface. The lights would probably have to be 12V, tapped off the tow vehicle or one of my 12V pad batteries not being used.

:smile:

well i can tell that rockets will take up most of the space, especially lower down. I'd suggest a board hinged at table height that can go either to the floor or ceiling. Then once you get to the launch and unload, you can simply raise/lower the table and lock it in with an angle joint or something, and you've got your work surface.

A light wouldn't be too much work, but it'd have to be either battery powered, or hooked up to a gennie.

I'd say some wall mounted rocket racks could make a great addition, or wall/floor mounted cabinets in the front of the trailer past the side door so it can be accessed even when you've got your big projects in there :)

One neat thing that was in the GBR trailer was a "wine rack" -- a wall of rubber-lined cubbyholes turned at 45 degrees to hold rockets, motor cases, igniters, whatever was convenient at the time. It's kind of hard to describe, and I'm looking frantically for a picture of it to help illustrate the concept. It was extremely useful for sorting out rocket pieces, keeping preassembled motors for various projects separate, and transporting everything in an organized fashion. It was placed to line up with the forward side door in the trailer, so you'd open it up and there'd be the wall of rockets in front of you for easy access. And the rubber inserts in each individual V helped keep the parts from sliding out during transport. It was big enough to hold the various sections of, e.g., Aramis wrapped up in blankets, or all three X-rockets at a time, or a pile of 54mm cases, etc. I'll try and find a photo somewhere on one of my hard drives...

Well I sure ain't no 'trailer expert' but I do have a thought to offer--

If you need light inside there, and if you are customizing the trailer anyway, you may want some sort of lift-up or tilt-up opening in the roof. (Kinda pop-up camper style?) With a big enough opening (or removing a section completely) you could get a lot of light, and you could get some air circulation inside there too.

Alternatively, you could use those sheets of translucent fiberglass sheet to cover the roof. It would at least let in a little light, even if you didn't make it openable.

Well I sure ain't no 'trailer expert' but I do have a thought to offer--

If you need light inside there, and if you are customizing the trailer anyway, you may want some sort of lift-up or tilt-up opening in the roof. (Kinda pop-up camper style?) With a big enough opening (or removing a section completely) you could get a lot of light, and you could get some air circulation inside there too.

Alternatively, you could use those sheets of translucent fiberglass sheet to cover the roof. It would at least let in a little light, even if you didn't make it openable.

Which would also allow me to watch rockets from the workshop area. I also have toyed with the idea of putting windows in it. (I did a van conversion in the 1980's, and windows were surprisingly easy to do.) They might take up too much wall (shelf) space, though. And I still want to come out and socialize. I'm putting together a few layout ideas in poor-man's-CAD and will post when further along. Thanks again to all for your inputs. A lot of good ideas come from brain-storming sessions. Sather

One thing you really need to keep at the forefront of planing is weight distribution. Your trailer fully loaded, partically loaded needs toungue weight. Too much weight behind the axle and you will get that sucker whipping back and forth behind you. Get a pair of jack stands too, put them under the rear corners when you set up and crank it level with the tongue jack. Keeps it much more stable. Lighting shouldn't be a problem, you can get flourescent wook lights that plug into the aux. or lighter plug. Just put a plug in and keep it plugged into the tow vehicle. 12v large dome type lamps are also available for about $10. I put one in my topper, works great.
With tongue weight in mind, the pointed nose section might be a good place to put your overhead cabinets in with mechanical latches so they don't pop open going down the road. Make a triangle work platform that can sit on mounted supports on the angles walls. Sit it in place at site, right by the side door for light and easy access. Make another set up supports just under the cabinets for storage and going down the road. Gets it up out of the way for longer loads down low.
Balancing the load side to side is also important. For shorter rockets you could build standoffs on the walls that fit the body tubes and use bungie cords to secure to the standoffs.
On the short side wall, I've seen a bench built in with a padded cushion on top that flips up for storage underneath.
Planning is the key, takes time but worth it.
Decide what you have, what you will have in the future, weigh it, lay it out on the garage floor to properly distrubute the weight and things should just fall into place. Build into the trailer and you should be good to go.
You can get awnings in a variety of sizes, even ones with a zip on screen room. My pop up camper had one, loved it.
And be sure to check the maximum of the trailer and tires, do not exceeded.
Be sure to check you tranny fluid in tow vehicle. Might consider adding a tranny cooler if it doesn't already have one.
Hope something was useful to your success.

Lighting is no big deal and can be accomplished in a number of ways. A dual 4 four foot work shop fluorescent could be hung over your work area and powered by a cheap inverter or genny.

Hanging a RV awning on one or even both sides is a great idea.

Adding tiedowns to the floor to help secure your loads might be helpful.

Checking the tear drop trailer forums might give you some ideas for storage and work area solutions. These guys come up with some pretty clever stuff to make the most of limited space. Fold downs and slide outs are pretty common in these little trailers. A cubby area with a bench that drops down for use comes to mind and when folded up it covers the cubby holes for transport.

Just having the trailer puts you so far ahead of what most of us have to make do with. I am super jealous. Good luck with your project.

... trailer forums might give you some ideas for storage and work area solutions. These guys come up with some pretty clever stuff to make the most of limited space. Fold downs and slide outs are pretty common in these little trailers. A cubby area with a bench that drops down for use comes to mind and when folded up it covers the cubby holes for transport...

Wow. I would never have though of that, but there is a ton of info out there, thanks. It'll take a while to wade through, but you are right, there are some really good ideas in them. And I thought scratch-building rockets was a challenge, some of these guys scratch-build trailers!

DSC_2130.jpg

DSC_2115.jpg

Trailerwoodwork007.jpg

Trailerwoodwork001.jpg

Wow. I would never have though of that, but there is a ton of info out there, thanks. It'll take a while to wade through, but you are right, there are some really good ideas in them. And I thought scratch-building rockets was a challenge, some of these guys scratch-build trailers!
Check out some of the teardrop trailer forums for builds.

It's not just a project, it's a way of life.

okay, I have collated my list of trailer must-haves. Now I have to try and squeeze everything into the trailer, while keeping it accessible and properly balanced.

to secure the load...
D-ring tie downs
universal track tie-downs

stuff to fly...
rocket / motor rack with appropriate rockets and motors
vehicle assembly and transport cradle
electronics
recovery gear (in bins)

support equipment...
Sears Craftsman 9-drawer tool cabinet
range box
shovel
broom, dust pan
fire extinguisher
flashlight
radio, speakers, amp
spare tire carrier
bulletin board
motor cleanup station (bucket, gerry can w/ soapy water, bottle brushes)
paper towel dispenser
trash can
ladder
EZ Up
folding chairs
cooler

work space...
shelves, workbench surface
good lightning

Last edited:
Wow, been busy putting the finishing touches on a couple projects for MidWest Power, I almost forgot what I need to get 'em there and set up. When I last opened the trailer up, I started pulling off the 3mm Luan plywood that came in it, anticipating replacing it with 1/2" plywood, with which I could hang stuff. That is how she sits today, so I had better get cracking on it over the next two weeks. Still balancing weight vs needs/desires, and the degree of difficulty in some areas (around the door frame, etc.), I decided to just re-skin the vee nose area. Anything that needs to go on the flat side walls can be attached to the metal framework, which conveniently is on 16" centers like wall studs. While YMMV, I have narrowed down the layout to what I hope will work for me. I decided to keep my prep area external, using a folding table and EZ-Up. This preserves more of the social aspect of rocketry, as well as providing better (natural) lighting and ventilation. (I don't use it over the winter, anyway.) So, what I really need to fit in the trailer itself is accessible, organized storage. EZ-Up, table, and chairs are the first things out, so should be the last things in. The heaviest piece, a Craftsman 9-drawer cabinet, fits nicely over the axle to keep the weight balanced, and I can wheel it out to the prep area for convenience. I also believe the drawers work better than bins or toolboxes for tools and other things that need to be readily accessible. I prep in four stages... electronics (altimeters, timers, trackers, cameras), ejection (BP charges), recovery (parachutes and rigging), and motor (assembly), so I will try to keep stuff organized into little mini work stations, to minimize the amount of time I waste "digging" for something. And to maximize room, a little shelving will go up opposite the tool cabinet to keep stuff off the floor. I'll try to get some pictures up as I get further along.

IMG_9666.jpg

IMG_9659.jpg

IMG_9656.jpg

I said it before and I'll say it again, I'm super jealous.

Please do post more pics. This is an aspect of rocketry that many of us can relate to, that is getting all your stuff to and from the launch site.

That is a pretty nice setup. My only suggestions would be an ac unit and a porta potty! :D

Sather, I was going to ask you, but my mental train of thought got sidetracked by the Gizmo altitude readouts (and my swear jar donation ;)) -- how did the trailer setup work out for MWP? Any updates/configuration changes planned, or is it pretty solid?

Sather, I was going to ask you, but my mental train of thought got sidetracked by the Gizmo altitude readouts (and my swear jar donation ;)) -- how did the trailer setup work out for MWP? Any updates/configuration changes planned, or is it pretty solid?

Well, I haven't settled on a final trailer configuration, but it works fine thus far. It is a work in progress, as I slowly grow into it. I initially thought the trailer would be a mobile workstation, but I found early on that I don't like working INSIDE the trailer. It isolates you from the social aspects of rocketry, blocks your view of the range, and some of my fleet doesn't fit inside the trailer once assembled, anyway. So, my criteria changed, and the trailer is now evolving into a mobile storage container. Thankfully, I hadn't started building a lot of benchwork into it. My current goal is to maximize the efficient use of space, convenience of loading / unloading, all while keeping things secure in transit. I finished re-skinning the interior of the vee nose with 1/2" plywood, and have started to hang stuff up and get them off the floor. I added stereo speakers to the front, for hooking up a radio to pick up range announcements when transmitted over FM. Re-skinning the sides is a little more involved, as the door frame and ramp trim are designed for the 1/8" thickness of the factory plywood. Tim suggested some cheap plastic shelves, which have worked out nicely. The temp at MWP was comfortable (chilly), so I did not need to set up at EZ-Up, but I picture pulling up to a launch, staking off a work site and parking area, setting up an EZ-Up and table, and moving what I need frequently to convenient, reachable positions. The Craftsman tool cabinet is on wheels, so it should roll down the ramp easily. (Working on a convenient method to attach it to the trailer wall for moving, though. Leaning towards some e-track rails.) Things that see limited use, (broom, motor cleaning supplies, etc.), or that hopefully will never be used, (shovel, fire extinguisher) can stay in the trailer until needed, so they all went up on wall-mounted racks. I also put in a pair of ladder hooks, separated by a few feet so they can double as racks for poles, rails, etc. The bulletin board is convenient, I plan on putting a smaller one on the inside of the door for checklists during prep. Invested in a half dozen flush D-rings with backing plates for the floor, and laying them out where I think they will be most useful.

I did spend a good amount of time at MWP digging for stuff in various bins, so I'm not completely where I want to be with it, yet. I also spent a good deal of time checking out other's trailers for rocket rack ideas. I think Vern Hoag has one of the best setups I've seen to date.

IMG_0773.jpg

IMG_0774.jpg

IMG_0777.jpg

IMG_0794.jpg

IMG_0781.jpg

Last edited:
Another good source of ideas for this type of trailer is the RC guys... planes and cars... especially the car guys... they have full blown workshops, storage, etc.

R

The trailer gets put in the garage for the winter. This saves it from some exposure to the harsher environment, as well as getting out of the way of the snow plow. Just pulled it out for the summer flying season, and got a few little projects done. (1) The side door was sticking a bit, so I took apart the latching mechanism, cleaned, lubed, adjusted, and reassembled. Now it opens very nicely. (2) I got a little ahead of myself when I replaced the interior plywood in the vee nose. To install (thru-bolt) a bracket for the spare tire, I had to pull off one panel to access the back for nuts and lock washers. Now the spare is up off the floor, and out of the way until needed. (3) I have a big bulletin board on the left side interior, but felt one on the side door would be more accessible and useful on the range for prepping / checklists.

IMG_3299.jpg

IMG_3307.jpg

IMG_3336.jpg

I finally started putting in the tie-down brackets. Now more of a reaction than proper planning, as I found some of the items I had been content to leave stacked and loose have a tendency to shift while going down the road. I had previously installed a flashlight and a fire extinguisher by the door for easy access. My Craftsman tool cabinet, even with the brakes on, moved enough on a recent road trip to knock them off. So, while figuring out how to repair the minor damage from that, it was time to cinch a few other things down. (1) I started on the left (port) side, adding a Universal T-Track to secure the table against the wall. Basically, it is a pair of giant Kaplow clips. Bob, Rockler should pay you a royalty on that.

IMG_9656.jpg

flashlight and fire extinguisher removed.jpg

Rockler T-rail holds table.jpg

(2) I was happy with the locations I had mapped out for the floor D-rings, so I drilled 3 1/2" holes in 6 locations and began thru-bolting them down. The faces have square holes to fit 3/8" carriage bolts, which makes it possible to crank the nuts from the outside/bottom, i.e. without having a second person to hold a wrench on the bolt inside the trailer. The bolt holes are not far from the edge of the large central hole, so I was glad I sprung for the full backing plates. Finally, even though they were galvanized, I shot everything with some paint to protect, as much as possible, against the exterior environment.

brackets in position.jpg

floor drilled for first tie-down bracket.jpg

floor drilled x 6.jpg

tie down bracket installed.jpg

backplates installed and painted.jpg

okay, I have collated my list of trailer must-haves. Now I have to try and squeeze everything into the trailer, while keeping it accessible and properly balanced.

to secure the load...
D-ring tie downs
universal track tie-downs

stuff to fly...
rocket / motor rack with appropriate rockets and motors
vehicle assembly and transport cradle
electronics
recovery gear (in bins)

support equipment...
Sears Craftsman 9-drawer tool cabinet
range box
shovel
broom, dust pan
fire extinguisher
flashlight
radio, speakers, amp
spare tire carrier
bulletin board
motor cleanup station (bucket, gerry can w/ soapy water, bottle brushes)
paper towel dispenser
trash can
ladder
EZ Up
folding chairs
cooler

work space...
shelves, workbench surface
good lightning

Looks GOOD Sather!:D

Course i couldn't live without a black/white checkerboard floor and, some Pl*yboy centerfolds on the wall!:eek:

Woody's right get your weight distribution figured out.....(trust me i know some things about this.....) Heavy stuff too the middle/slight front...middle and, verify your tongue weight. Makes hauling a "Tag" type trailer on a windy day a MUCH more safer/pleasant experience.

I can tell that rockets will take up most of the space, especially lower down. I'd say some wall mounted rocket racks could make a great addition.

One neat thing that was in the GBR trailer was a "wine rack" -- a wall of rubber-lined cubbyholes turned at 45 degrees to hold rockets, motor cases, igniters, whatever was convenient at the time.

This was a great idea (thank you), and though it took me a long time to eventually get around to building it, I finished it up just prior to MWP14 and it worked great! I used 3/4" PVC with cut up pool noodles for padding. It is sturdy enough to carry a bunch of rockets (up to 6" diameter) on the wall and leave room for the bigger stuff on the floor. The rack hangs vertically on wooden bracket clips mounted to the wall, and it can be removed to use horizontally outside the trailer.

IMG_1581.jpg

IMG_1893.jpg

IMG_1908.jpg

IMG_1914.jpg

IMG_1927.jpg

IMG_1595.jpg

Wow, is that rack beautifully built and a fantastic idea....

Great build...

Teddy

A year ago, my wife suggested I invest in a rocket trailer. (After I hauled my 60 pound upscale Death Star to a launch in Wisconsin, sticking out the sunroof of her car.) I ended up with a 6' x 10' vee-nosed trailer, which has been great. Rear ramp, side door, stand-up interior height, lots of room for stuff, but I still find myself packing in tubs and getting less organized as the launch progresses. I just got back from LDRS XXX, where I had the good fortune to see a few great trailers with built-in storage and/or work areas. What I think I would like is a bunch of storage drawers, with a work surface over the top. Like a small desk. I anticipate the usual launch site activities... assembling motors, ejection charges, cleaning casings, etc. So, before I spend a bunch of time making something, I thought I'd poll the membership and see what, if anything, you guys (and gals) would deem essential in a small, portable work station. I don't want to add a lot of weight, or lose a lot of volume, so it needs to be somewhat efficient. What have you seen, built, used, liked, dis-liked, wished for, etc. Lighting? Drawer size, depth. Cubby holes. Useful features? Unnecessary features. Wasted space. Pictures would be great, as would links to sites of related ideas. Thanks. Sather

I got a larger trailer (7.5' x 17.5") but it's NEVER enough. With out racks or shelves, the entire floor is covered with rockets and supplies.
After many years I decided to use only one pop-up canopy outside. I bring a stack of small folding tables and I place ALL my rockets outside on the tables so I do not have to squat and bend over so much. Many years of construction has taken its toll on my body.
That leaves room for tool box, tubs for supplies and motors and a couple of small tables and chair to work on 1 or 2 rockets at a time in the trailer. When I worked outside I ended up getting too much sun and walking in and out of the trailer hundreds of times a day.
Next I am building one rack out of plywood this weekend to hold all my rockets for that weekend. It will also have racks for my motor cases.
Pictures to follow.
This is it with no racks or shelves.
DSC_0241.jpgDSC_0243.jpgDSC_0265.jpgDSC_0266.jpg

I got a larger trailer (7.5' x 17.5") but it's NEVER enough. With out racks or shelves, the entire floor is covered with rockets and supplies.
After many years I decided to use only one pop-up canopy outside. I bring a stack of small folding tables and I place ALL my rockets outside on the tables so I do not have to squat and bend over so much. Many years of construction has taken its toll on my body.
That leaves room for tool box, tubs for supplies and motors and a couple of small tables and chair to work on 1 or 2 rockets at a time in the trailer. When I worked outside I ended up getting too much sun and walking in and out of the trailer hundreds of times a day.
Next I am building one rack out of plywood this weekend to hold all my rockets for that weekend. It will also have racks for my motor cases.

Thanks. That sounds just like what I ended up with as a final plan. Working IN the trailer was isolating (socially) and uncomfortable (environmentally), so I stopped working IN the trailer and just use it for storage and transport. One EZ Up, a few tables and range boxes get moved outside, work on a rocket or two outside in the fresh air, watching rockets and hanging with friends. Getting things off the floor was a huge improvement in the usefulness of the trailer. And the packing order and placement of supplies makes a quick setup and tear down. I see you also have placed your Craftsman tool cabinet over the trailer's axle. Do you leave it in the trailer or roll it out? How is it attached? Looking forward to seeing pictures of your racks.

Last edited:
This was a great idea (thank you), and though it took me a long time to eventually get around to building it, I finished it up just prior to MWP14 and it worked great! I used 3/4" PVC with cut up pool noodles for padding. It is sturdy enough to carry a bunch of rockets (up to 6" diameter) on the wall and leave room for the bigger stuff on the floor. The rack hangs vertically on wooden bracket clips mounted to the wall, and it can be removed to use horizontally outside the trailer.

I saw this at MWP thought it was a great idea!

Bigger trailer means bigger rockets!

By the way - the patriot was awesome!

Thanks. That sounds just like what I ended up with as a final plan. Working IN the trailer was isolating (socially) and uncomfortable (environmentally), so I stopped working IN the trailer and just use it for storage and transport. One EZ Up, a few tables and range boxes get moved outside, work on a rocket or two outside in the fresh air, watching rockets and hanging with friends. Getting things off the floor was a huge improvement in the usefulness of the trailer. And the packing order and placement of supplies makes a quick setup and tear down. I see you also have placed your Craftsman tool cabinet over the trailer's axle. Do you leave it in the trailer or roll it out? How is it attached? Looking forward to seeing pictures of your racks.

I got the rolling cabinet for my dragbike operation so I could have everything outside.
I made a plywood base that is the depth of the toolbox and runs inside the length of the top tray of the cart.
In essence, the tool box is bolted to the cart and the cart has 4 tiedowns to cleats in the floor.
The cleats are surface applied on the floor with wood screws.
I leave it in there now, it is a HD cart I got at Sears I think. I drilled some 1/2" holes in the cart to attach the tie downs.
It stays in the trailer along with 2 long folding tables that are strapped down also.
That gives me an area to work, sit down and work out of the wind plus it's well lit.
Again, by working in the trailer I get more done, less unloading and loading each day. All the rockets are outside on long tables or saw horses to do final assembly (loading the charges and chutes for each section and insert the motor.)
I'm building ALL motors in my shop at home, that has saved time, too.
My brother taught me a lesson on rigging prep that really helps when launching several rockets of different sizes on any given day.
We color code the end of a chute swivel, u-bolt attachment, etc (All attachment points) with colored electrical tape. Red attachment points connects to a red shock cord, etc. Saved a lot time getting stuff built in a hurry and lessens mistakes hooking up cords and chutes.
Next I am designing a unified rack to hold the day's rockets and motors.
Without it I tend to fill the floor with rockets and flip tubs to the point you can hardly walk in side.
That will change.

Last edited:
Next I am designing a unified rack to hold the day's rockets and motors.
Without it I tend to fill the floor with rockets and flip tubs to the point you can hardly walk in side.
That will change.

Absolutely! I have found over the last few years two key elements. (1) Keeping things off the floor helps me stay organized, and (2) making everything modular (removable) allows the trailer to be multi-use. Pop off the PVC rack, roll out the tools, and find another fun thing to do with the trailer. So glad I put those D-rings in the floor.

IMG_5697.jpg

Back