Experience with Testors Amazing Air airbrush?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marc_G

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Hi Folks,

While pawing around at Hobby Lobby I saw this aerosol-based mini airbrush set:

t350_d5e57f562e71b736ad3fa8f597ec6628[1].jpg

Here's a link to the product page.

They have several varieties and show them spraying from tiny bottles of acrylics, enamels, and lacquers.

I've used the Preval 6-oz bottle aerosol sprayers, which are basically a substitute for rattlecans, but this Testors detail sprayer looks pretty cool.

Keep in mind, my interestes are strictly low to small MPR. Say, BT-60 and smaller rockets. OK, a Mean Machine would take a while with this thing :dark:

But for routine stuff, like detail painting of stripes and the like, this looks like it might be an economical way to go, paint-wise, and open up lots of possibilities to me. I'm not interested in investing in a real airbrush/compressor, largely due to the need to clean it, store it, noise, etc.. But for ~$25 minus 40% with coupon, this could be pretty cool. I like that it's focused around tiny bottles of paint.

There's also a less complex thing that apparently uses the paint straight from the TEstors tiny paint bottles.
See here.

I think that link is for the paints but it references the sprayer in the picture.

I'd appreciate any experiences.

Marc

Absolute crap. If you are going to spray with that, just save the money and use rattle cans.

It sprays blotchy, is an absolute PIA to clean. Horrible product. If you want to airbrush on the cheap get a paasche H. I recommend a compressor from harbor freight. I bought mine for 40 bucks about 5 years ago and use it all the time

H.O.K or Alsa you will never go back. Ever

Those are paints for anyone who looked up and not airbrushes.

For airbrushes, I like and use the Paasche series. Around $85-$100.
For quickie, toxic stuff (like spraying nitrate dope or epoxy) I use the Harbor Freight $5 (on sale) airbrushes. Truly garbage, but they can serve a purpose.

Compressors and air brushes. Get a compressor with a tank. You need a uniform and constant pressure when using an airbrush. A tankless compressor will not work here.

Kevin K.

I have a Paasche airbrush that I use with my full sized compressor. No water trap or filter. Works fine here in AZ, but I doubt it would be so good where the humidity is a factor. One comment I read about this is that a tank of Co2 is an excellent source of compressed air, and silent too. I use a 15 lb. tank to air up my Jeep tires after wheeling, so I might give this a try. Just need to turn my regulator down to 25 lbs. or so. No condensed water in Co2, and a 15 lb. tank costs about $10 to refill.

Wayne, if you have no problems using your compressor, couldn't you just use the tank with out a filter/seperator the same way? I've thought about that but haven't yet acquired an airbrush. I have a couple of tanks laying around that need new hoses and valves. I may just save them from the recycler for future use.

Wayne, if you have no problems using your compressor, couldn't you just use the tank with out a filter/seperator the same way? I've thought about that but haven't yet acquired an airbrush. I have a couple of tanks laying around that need new hoses and valves. I may just save them from the recycler for future use.

Depending on how large they are, you might not be happy with how long they last. If you are talking about filling a small air tank up to about 150 psi., tank pressure would drop off pretty fast. And most of those small tanks have no regulator, so how do you regulate it down to the lower pressure (20 to 25 psi.) that is required for an air brush? My 25 gallon air tank on my compressor might last for a while, but if you're talking about a 2 or 3 gallon tank, that might be a disappointment. Co2 tanks are filled with liquid Co2 to around 500 lbs. They last for quite a while, converting liquid Co2 to gas as the pressure drops. If I tried to air up one of my big off-road tires on my Jeep with an air tank, I would have to fill it several times to just get one big 37/12.50-17" tire up to 25 lbs. With Co2, I can fill all four tires up at least three times with a relatively small tank.

Wayne, that makes perfect sense. I don't plan on buying an airbrush any time soon but when I do, I'll just put a dryer on one of my little compressors. I'm going to keep my eye open for a big propane tank on the cheap (like free) and just convert it so I can use that for a gravity feed gun and my air tools.

I have a 20+ year old cheapo Badger that I use with a converted freon tank. It's always worked well on plastic models using a variety of paints. I never thought to use it on rockets. Static display is one thing but I just can't put that much effort into painting a rocket that that may not live past the first launch.

Those are paints for anyone who looked up and not airbrushes.

.........Kevin K.

These can be used in airbrushes but I admit they are better suited to larger Mid and High power projects based on price point alone. A good compromise is Alsa Killer Cans. True two part urethane in a specially designed rattle can. They also have a true "Chrome" in a can. Killer cans run around $40.
As for airbrushes, I've used them all. I like Thayer Vegas but sinse they were bought by Badger, parts are hard to come by. Iwata make the best across the board and they offer models for every skill level and budget.

I had several Badgers over the years, and a few Pisschets.
Dual action badgers INHO are the best, but that is for what I did which was murals in trunk decks, hoods, van sides, etc.
But the interchangable needles and nozzels you can get from a .1mm line to a 2.5" pattern and any flow rate.
BUT...you need to practice because just using an air brush in this manner is an extreme art form in itself. I never totally mastered it, but was well good enough to do topless beach bunnys catching beach balls!
OH, those were the days when the models loved posing!

Back