I got a crayon!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eggplant

L3 | NAR 93664, TRA 17791
Reaction score
I got a four inch diameter, red crayon from Toys R Us. Now what to do with it. :confused: I am not in the mood for 3fnc, but may have to settle for that.

keep me posted! This is one of the things on my "to do" list.

Reviving an old thread here... Now that my son has finished building his Arreaux, it's my daughter's turn. Of course, nothing is easy... She saw an Estes "Crayon" but she wants "a big one that goes on the big launch pads" like her brother's... And I'm up for a challenge. So, I browsed the crayon threads, and I concluded that I just need a little help getting ideas about how to convert the 4" giant crayon bank (see link) to a 4" rocket.
Buncha questions:
1) Has anyone done this and is willing to share build ideas?
2) Converting the existing tip into a nosecone... How?
3) What size motor mount? Think I might have some spare 29mm sitting around, know I have 24mm...
4) Order custom centering rings, or time to invest in a drill press, circle cutting bit, and birch?
5) Ideas on fin style and attachment...
I think that about covers it, just another project in planning stages, if and when build happens, I'll share the experience.
Thanks, TRF...

I built my son's red crayon to be durable. 38mm, and adapt it down to fly G80's. I can send a Rocksim file if it would help.

SanJoaquin-Tranquillity-20141018-00111_zpsd0c7cafc.jpg

We did a four fin rocket

20130609_113715b.jpg

View attachment CrayonX1.rkt

We used the decoupage circles from Walmart to make Centering Rings, LOC 1.14-MMT, Acme Rail Guides, Kevlar harness, and an Estes Motor Retainer. We also found a matching parachute and used a nomex square .

So not to pricey at all !

Kenny

Last edited:
Mine has clear lexan fins it was a little difficult to glue it up good and strong with out messing up the look of a crayon and all but it can be done for pretty cheap even. You need at least a 29mm motor they can be kind of heavy.

I could have sworn I had build pics but they may have died when my computer crashed I see what I can dig up.

TA

crayon.jpg

crayonrail.JPG

Bob Kaplow did a write up, that was in a NAR Rocketry Magazine, but can also be found here on the Northern Illinois Rocketry web site.

https://nirarocketry.org/docs/LE/2001/LE2001NovDec.pdf

I have done a couple of different size's and included the breakdown of the 54in tall 5in dia red crayon breakdown here.

crayon launch.jpg

Baby-Crayon.JPG.jpg

Last edited:
Three tools that are a must for any rocket shop. Now a lathe and a cop saw are great too but these are the first must haves. :)

1. Drill press
drillpress.jpg

2: Sander
sander.jpg

3: Scroll Saw
scroll.jpg

TA

Reviving an old thread here... Now that my son has finished building his Arreaux, it's my daughter's turn. Of course, nothing is easy... She saw an Estes "Crayon" but she wants "a big one that goes on the big launch pads" like her brother's... And I'm up for a challenge. So, I browsed the crayon threads, and I concluded that I just need a little help getting ideas about how to convert the 4" giant crayon bank (see link) to a 4" rocket.
Buncha questions:
1) Has anyone done this and is willing to share build ideas?
2) Converting the existing tip into a nosecone... How?
3) What size motor mount? Think I might have some spare 29mm sitting around, know I have 24mm...
4) Order custom centering rings, or time to invest in a drill press, circle cutting bit, and birch?
5) Ideas on fin style and attachment...
I think that about covers it, just another project in planning stages, if and when build happens, I'll share the experience.
Thanks, TRF...

1) Has anyone done this and is willing to share build ideas? Yes, I built 4 for my daughter and her preschool friends.

2) Converting the existing tip into a nosecone... How? Glue in Centering ring past shoulder, the John Coker way

3) What size motor mount? Think I might have some spare 29mm sitting around, know I have 24mm... 29mm uses the cheaper Estes retainer

4) Order custom centering rings, or time to invest in a drill press, circle cutting bit, and birch? I used 2.8mm doorskin luan from Home Depot . you can make bulkheads with a drill press

5) Ideas on fin style and attachment... Through the wall, remove the plastic lower section and slot tube about a half inch up.

Kenny

I have two Crayons.

Bought the Crayon banks from a local Toys 'r' Us and the internals from Bay Area Rocketry (BayAreaRocketry.com). One is a 29mm built according to the plans while the second is a 38mm that had several modifications done during the construction process.

Crayon rockets easily accommodate 38mm motors and are generally what I consider a "beater"...as in takes a licking and keeps on ticking.

Biggest motor I have put mine up on was an I218R. It went pretty high.

I got a four inch diameter, red crayon from Toys R Us. Now what to do with it. :confused: I am not in the mood for 3fnc, but may have to settle for that.

Been flying my 5 D12 Clustered Toys R Us 4"diameter Crayon for a very long time now. I used 4 clear Polycarbonate fins just for fun. She's always a crowd pleaser when flown.

There are also 2.6" diameter and smaller Crayons out there that also make Excellent Odd-Rocs;)

171lp03a-sm_5D Crayon_Ready for launch_09-96.jpg

171lp03c-sm_Crayon 5D midflight_09-96.jpg

171lp03d-sm_5D Crayon_Under canopy_09-96.jpg

192a-sm_Crayon 2D_Clu-Odd-Roc_08-17-96.jpg

MM 272b2-sm_White Crayon_2nd Flight_07-05-03.jpg

3 small Crayons for conversion_08-04-09.JPG

Mini Crayon-a_2in x 7.625in Odd-roc (13mm motor size)_07-07012 .jpg

Last edited:
I second the CrayMarc, I am gonna attempt something like that, but with 4" tubes at the end of the stubbie wings.

Loving all the info! Thanks for all the pictures and ideas. Now I just need to get the parts and start building!...

I’ve got a Crayon and I’m writing “Kill Clouseau” all over the padded walls; with my feet.

Who am I?

Gotta love crayons! I've got two, one with a 29mm mmt and one with a 54mm mmt

Thanks for the Rocksim file! And thanks for the ideas. When I eventually get the parts, I'll post some pics along the way...

Mine has clear lexan fins it was a little difficult to glue it up good and strong with out messing up the look of a crayon and all but it can be done for pretty cheap even. You need at least a 29mm motor they can be kind of heavy.

I could have sworn I had build pics but they may have died when my computer crashed I see what I can dig up.

TA

I think your Crayon is excellent!!

All this crayon talk has me thinking about finless crayons...

Back