Flight Systems Inc. (FSI) - Viking Gallery

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zetoyoc

Reaction score
Thought I would share my FSI Viking. I love the way it looks and flies. One of my first kits too.

-Z

Post copied with permision

NOTE: the rocket in this particular post is the BMS clone of the Viking 1

Attachments

• viking (1 of 1).JPG
    viking (1 of 1).JPG
    202.1 KB · Views: 103
  • viking 2 (1 of 1).JPG
    viking 2 (1 of 1).JPG
    143.1 KB · Views: 112
  • viking 3 (1 of 1).JPG
    viking 3 (1 of 1).JPG
    218.8 KB · Views: 116
Last edited by a moderator:
Here is my (BMS clone of) FSI Viking I:
6180207624_4d75d5fe8a.jpg

Here is my upscaled Viking II:
6180207616_196dca9aac.jpg

The upscale is based on the BT-70H tube & associated parts available from Semroc. I based the paint job on the illustration on the "classic" Viking II instruction sheet. Eventually I'll make the "decal".

Funny. I was just going to look for a Viking gallery.:wink: No originals, but lately I'm loaded with Vikings of one kind or another.:cool:

First is the obligatory BMS Clone of the Month Viking 1. (Wish Bill would go back to doing the Clone of the Month thing.)

image-oop---balsa-machining-service---fsi-viking-clone-of-the-month-600.jpg

This is my Viking 2 upscale, inspired by Stefan's, but a BT-60 to his BT-70. Unflown at the moment, but the corn is almost ready to cooperate. I think it'll fly on an E9-4 when the time comes.

005-4.jpg

004-6.jpg

My Viking 3 was going to be a 24mm bird, but I had a gluing issue while installing an engine block.:mad: Kinda killed my enthusiasm for the project, but I'm almost over the disappointment, so painting should follow shortly.

0042.jpg

No Viking 4, YET! But I expect the package to arrive tomorrow.

This is my Viking 5 clone at NARAM 53.

001-3.jpg

This is the Viking 5 CATOing at NARAM.:mad:

007-1.jpg

008.jpg

Lots of internal scorching, a broken shock cord, both launch lugs ripped off, and the motor mount was ripped loose. Currently under repair and still awaiting a first flight.

Finally, this is my Viking 6, my vision of where the Viking line may have logically gone to if things had been different. It'll be E-powered, and done in colors as yet to be determined.

001-8.jpg

002-6.jpg

A collage of my Vikings, I through IV. I built all of them in 2007.

Backyard%252520Vikings-2%252520for%252520YORP.jpg

Oh very nice I am going to have to get working on the rest of the set now :)

-Z

Mark's lineup is inspiring.

I'm going to be working on a "slight upscale" (based on a 24mm motor mount tube) of the Viking III next.

Actually, I'll be working on in parallel:

Micron
Penetrator
Viking I
Viking II
Viking III

I already have a 24mm Viking II and the BMS Viking I, but I've had these part collections set aside for years and I want to get them built and out of the way. I may put the models up for auction or use them as gifts.

I intend to make the fins / mounting stubs "through the wall," with permanent 18mm motor mounts.

It would be hard to make a properly scaled Viking IV to accompany the 24mm Vikings. You'd need a 1.27" OD tube.

It would be hard to make a properly scaled Viking IV to accompany the 24mm Vikings. You'd need a 1.27" OD tube.
The way I figure it, they didn't seem to mind fudging a bit on tolerances here and there, so I won't mind either.;):D

I'll bet that you could get away with using BT-55 (1.28 inch OD) coupler stock and a custom nose cone. After all, what's 0.01" between friends? ;) :D

BMS C55-34.

I keep forgetting that you CAN get FSI-equivalent toobs from Semroc. Probably cones and transitions as well. So you could make same-size clones of not only the Vikings but the Sprint, Nova, and Orbit.

These all would fly just fine on 18mm motors.

How many different versions of the FSI Viking are there? Very nice looking rockets guys.

How many different versions of the FSI Viking are there? Very nice looking rockets guys.
FSI released five different models in the series. Early on in the company's history (around 1968), FSI released Vikings I to IV (shown in my photo). They eventually produced the the Viking V about 20 years later. I suspect that the FSI Vikings may have been some of the very first tube fin-stabilized model rocket kits ever produced. (Centuri didn't come out with the Groove Tube until 1972.)

The "Viking 6" is Bill's invention. It's kind of like a "VikingEos." ;) I have a "Viking 2.4" built that I may show, if I ever get it painted.

Semroc carries a nearly full line of FSI repro parts for cloning. (No Nike Smoke nose cone, probably because it's just a bit too large for the Krellvenator.) All of my FSI models (20 and counting) are clones. I am well along on a project to clone every single one of the 30 rocket models that FSI showed in their catalogs. Then it will be on to the historic variations (i.e., early vs. late versions).

This is my Viking 4 in a dry fit I did this afternoon. Semroc BT-70 based with BT-55 tube fins, it's an approximate 2X upscale. I think the tube fins might be a tad long, but based on the information I had, this was what they looked like 2X'd.

009-1.jpg

010-1.jpg

011-1.jpg

Welcome to the FSI Viking Gallery on TRF.

This gallery showcases the FSI Viking and those rockets derived from it. Particularly appropriate in this thread are the following:

Balsa Machining Services (BMS): FSI Viking 1: #FSIV1
Flight Systems Inc. (FSI): Viking I: MRK-9 or #1009
Flight Systems Inc. (FSI): Viking II: MRK-10 or #1010
Flight Systems Inc. (FSI): Viking III: MRK-11 or #1011
Flight Systems Inc. (FSI): Viking IV: MRK-12 or #1012
Flight Systems Inc. (FSI): Viking V: #1029

as well as any upscales, downscales, clones, kitbashes or other derivative works. Even Goonies qualify!

Last edited:
Balsa Machining Service (BMS) FSI Viking 1 (FSIVK1) Basic Information.

bms.gif
Balsa Machining Service (BMS)

FSI Viking 1

#FSIVK1

Introduced:
Final Year:
Designer:

Type: sport/tubefin/clone
Motor Mount: 1x18mm
Recovery: parachute
Stages: 1
Length:
Diameter:
Span:
Weight:

Mfg. Description: DESC

bms-viking1-2009%20web%20livery.jpg
BMS 2009 Web Ad

First post in this thread featuring this rocket.

See Also: LINKS
EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

If you have any additional information on this rocket and/or catalog photos please let us know.

Last edited:
Flight Systems Inc. (FSI) Viking I (MRK-9 or #1009) Basic Information.

fsi.gif
Flight Systems Inc. (FSI)

Viking, Viking I, Viking 1

MRK-9 or #1009

Introduced: 1968
Final Year: 1987
Designer:

Type: sport/tube fin
Motor Mount: 1x18mm
Length: 20"
Diameter: 0.903"
Span:
Weight: 1.6 oz

fsi-viking%201-1971%20cat%20livery.jpg
FSI 1971 Catalog
fsi-viking%201-1977%20cat%20livery.jpg
FSI 1977 Catalog
fsi-viking%201-1979%20cat%20livery.jpg
FSI 1979 Catalog

EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

If you have any additional information on this rocket and/or catalog photos please let us know.

Last edited:
Flight Systems Inc. (FSI) Viking II (MRK-10 or #1010) Basic Information.

fsi.gif

Viking II, Viking 2

MRK-10 or #1010

Final Year: 1994
Designer:

Motor Mount:
Length: 16"
Span:
Weight: 1.5 oz

fsi-viking%202-1971%20cat%20livery.jpg
FSI 1971 Catalog
fsi-viking%202-1977%20cat%20livery.jpg
FSI 1977 Catalog
fsi-viking%202-1979%20cat%20livery.jpg
FSI 1979 Catalog
fsi-viking%202-1990%20cat%20livery.jpg
FSI 1990 Catalog

EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

Last edited:
Flight Systems Inc. (FSI) Viking III (MRK-11 or #1011) Basic Information.

fsi.gif

Viking III, Viking 3

MRK-11 or #1011

Final Year: 1987
Designer:

Motor Mount:
Length: 15"
Span:
Weight: 1.5 oz

Mfg. Description: The VIKING 3 is one of the flagships of the F.S.I. Viking fleet. This beautiful and advanced model rocket is also an exceptionally stable and efficient model in flight. Extended stabilizers permit a wide application of model rocket engines. (FSI 1971 Catalog)

fsi-viking%203-1971%20cat%20livery.jpg
FSI 1971 Catalog
fsi-viking%203-1977%20cat%20livery.jpg
FSI 1977 Catalog

EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

Last edited:
Flight Systems Inc. (FSI) Viking IV (MRK-12 or #1012) Basic Information.

fsi.gif

Viking IV, Viking 4

MRK-12 or #1012

Designer:

Motor Mount:
Length: 20.25"
Diameter: 1.130"
Span:
Weight: 2.1 oz

Mfg. Description: The VIKING 4 is for the advanced rocketeer who wants only the finest in high flying models.

Roam the sky. Be a bold one. Fly a Super Viking!

Altitudes to 4000' can be reached with Flight Systems, Inc. super powered "F" series model rocket engines. (FSI 1971 Catalog)

fsi-viking%204-1971%20cat%20livery.jpg
FSI 1971 Catalog
fsi-viking%204-1977%20cat%20livery.jpg
FSI 1977 Catalog
fsi-viking%204-1979%20cat%20livery.jpg
FSI 1979 Catalog
fsi-viking%204-1990%20cat%20livery.jpg
FSI 1990 Catalog

EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

Last edited:
Flight Systems Inc. (FSI) Viking V (1029) Basic Information.

fsi.gif

Viking V, Viking 5

Introduced: 1987
Designer:

Motor Mount:
Length: 45.34"
Diameter:
Span:
Weight:

Mfg. Description: The VIKING V is the command ship of the Viking series. It stands 45.34 inches tall and features a transition section. The advanced design stabilizers make this kit unique in appearance as well as offering extreme stability. (FSI 1990 Catalog)

fsi-viking%205-1990%20cat%20livery.jpg
FSI 1990 Catalog

EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

Last edited:
FSI Viking 4, BT-70 upscale.:cool:

Viking4glamourshot.jpg

Flight was very cool. A nice, slow liftoff and big, curving windcock to the east. Looking forward to flying this one in zero wind. :rolleyes:

Viking4ignition.jpg

Viking4liftoff.jpg

Viking4clearstherod.jpg

Recovery was eventful as the 12" chute brought the Viking 4 in a little hot. It stuck the landing at an angle. :D

Viking4sticksthelanding.jpg

Post copied with permission

FSI Viking 3. Pretty much a 1:1 clone, but with Estes parts.

Viking3glamourshot.jpg

Even with a C6-7 this was an impressive flight. Followed the same flight path as all of the E9 flights, but lower and at a steeper angle. The streamer brought it almost straight down and it wound up as my longest walk and toughest find of the day.

Viking3ignition.jpg

Viking3liftoff.jpg

Viking3recovery.jpg

Post copied with permission

016.jpg012.jpg015.jpgAfter looking at a Viking IV, I built this from a Super Neon XL kit. the inside of the tube fins have holographic paper from a craft store.

Here is my (BMS clone of) FSI Viking I:
6180207624_4d75d5fe8a.jpg

Here is my upscaled Viking II:
6180207616_196dca9aac.jpg

The upscale is based on the BT-70H tube & associated parts available from Semroc. I based the paint job on the illustration on the "classic" Viking II instruction sheet. Eventually I'll make the "decal".

Both really nice,My Vikings are both originals so I don't have to go the clone route.Not really interested in upscaling them, fine with 18mm.By the way,
,how did you get accurate angular cuts on the stabilizers?congrats, really nice work.

Back