Thrustline - Arapahoe E Gallery

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I built a Arapahoe for my level 3 using an M1351 class motor when built it was 10 foot tall and went too approx 7000 feet

Phil

Last edited:
Hi Gary

yes I did have a collection of pictures Not sure where I saved them too or on what pc, still have the manual that I produced for level 3 and the rocket is in the loft, and it has survived considering I built and flew it back in 2008

Phil

Reviving this old thread to show love for one of my favorite designs. Kind of a trip down memory lane from the time when I used to help John at Thrustline. Here are some old pics from the original beta version. It's really cool to see how much the paint scheme has stayed a part of this rocket. Most I see are very similar to how I painted this one.
03.06.05 002.jpg 03.09.05 001.jpg
ArapahoeE 03.19.05 006.jpg 03.30.05 001.jpg 03.30.05 006.jpg 04.09.05 001.jpg 05.03.05 011.jpg 05.03.05 014.jpg 05.03.05 019.jpg 05.03.05 020.jpg

It's inspiring! "I like this ship."
They are wonderful fliers and just plain beautiful rockets. I have a cloned one (built just before Squirrel Works re-released them) and a 3" built with lightweight 3" (Estes tube/BMS T300). The nosecone is a 3" Big Daddy NC and the Tailcone is a 3" PNC-300K from Balsa Machining Service, just need to fillet the fins and finish painting rocket.

They are wonderful fliers and just plain beautiful rockets. I have a cloned one (built just before Squirrel Works re-released them) and a 3" built with lightweight 3" (Estes tube/BMS T300). The nosecone is a 3" Big Daddy NC and the Tailcone is a 3" PNC-300K from Balsa Machining Service, just need to fillet the fins and finish painting rocket.
Good leads - Thanks :)

I finished my scratch Arapahoe E yesterday. The Squirrel Works didn't have any in stock so I ordered up the parts I'd need to do a reasonablly close clone. To finish it I used an airbrush and Createx paints, which is a first for me.

Attachments

• Arapahoe2.jpg
    Arapahoe2.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 82
  • Arapahoe1.jpg
    Arapahoe1.jpg
    180.8 KB · Views: 84
  • Arapahoe3.jpg
    Arapahoe3.jpg
    188.9 KB · Views: 82
My Squirrel Works has been sitting here unfinished for quite some time, and it's now time to get the sucker DONE!

That being said, I'd still love to see an upscale fiberglass kit of this one for a 38mm motor.

Here I am posting about the 3" Arapahoe I built and then I failed to include the obligatory rocket photo...

The blue painted is a clone of the original based on information from Sandmans fin patterns and TRF'ers recommendation for nose cones (built just before Squirrel Works re-released the kit)
. The green painted is my 3" (BMS T300 airframe) 29mm powered Arapahoe I, the nose cone is from a Big Daddy (picked up from a yard sale by Tripoli Las Vegas iirc) and the Tailcone is a modified PNC-300K that is available from Balsa Machining, Mercury Engineering, and Apogee and possibly others (tailcone needs to be longer aspect ratio than nosecone or the rocket looks funny). Fins on the 3" are done MDRM style built up from 1/8" ply cores with balsa skins (next time I will use basswood), the rocket is light and can be either single or dual deploy, can fly on F50ish motors up to 29mm I motors.
ta_arapahoe01.jpg 3inchAraphoeI pic 1.jpg 3inchAraphoeI pic 4.jpg

I have a 4in upscale version in bluetube with a 54mm mount. Need to add a layer of glass to the fins, build the eBay and then it'll be ready for paint. Calling it an Arapahoe J.

I just launched my Arapahoe-E for the first time today, on an C11-5. Nice flight. It was kind of breezy so I was pretty conservative.

Attachments

• DSC01984.JPG
    DSC01984.JPG
    40.5 KB · Views: 21
Back