Cool Spool Dimensions

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MasonH

Reaction score
Quite honestly, im unhappy with LOCs price for a premade spool rocket. so, i am taking the liberty of making one mysely. Problem, is, what are the dimensions? i need to know:

1) length of the motor tube
2) the diameter of the rings
3) any unique features of the rocket
4) is there an engine block

Quite honestly, im unhappy with LOCs price for a premade spool rocket. so, i am taking the liberty of making one mysely. Problem, is, what are the dimensions? i need to know:

1) length of the motor tube
2) the diameter of the rings
3) any unique features of the rocket
4) is there an engine block

Okay, I am going to make this REALLY easy for you. Go to either a local electrical contractor or local electrical supply store. Ask for an empty spool - they will likely have zillions of them in their dumpsters. Buy either a 29mm tube or a 38mm tube and jerry-rig a way to glue the tube to dead center of the spool. Insert motor large enough to lift spool and fly.

With a setup like this, it's so cheap it doesn't matter that you let it tumble to the ground without a chute. Of course, you could put a chute in it if you want. Unless you are dead set on making something the exact same dimensions as the Cool Spool this will work just as well.

Good luck!

i want something that will give the same performance as the spool. thats why i need the ring size. but i also want the rocket to be cheap. several others have at my local launches have the spool, but a drag race wouldnt be fair unless they were the same size.

i want something that will give the same performance as the spool. thats why i need the ring size. but i also want the rocket to be cheap. several others have at my local launches have the spool, but a drag race wouldnt be fair unless they were the same size.

That would be fun to watch......WE NEED VIDEO WHEN IT HAPPENS!!!!:neener:

Ahhh...that makes total sense. Sorry, can't help you there.

-Dave

My advice, if you want the LOC spool, buy the kit. If you just want to fly a spool, then follow DAllen's advice and just stuff a MMT in a spool and fly it.

My advice, if you want the LOC spool, buy the kit. If you just want to fly a spool, then follow DAllen's advice and just stuff a MMT in a spool and fly it.

agreed, companies put a lot of money and effort to make marketable kits, and it's really unfair to them to ask for dimensions and then make your own version.

Old thread, I know. Anybody have the demensions or type of spool? I crashed mine and need to rebuild.

Old thread, I know. Anybody have the demensions or type of spool? I crashed mine and need to rebuild.

I use the plastic spools that fuel line and starter rope for our string trimmers came on. Light weight plastic, close to 29mm for motor mount, and easy enough to replace when it finally trashes. As long as we stay in business, I'll have a supply. They're about 6" in diameter and almost 6" tall. Maybe ask your local auto parts store if they would be willing to give you a few.

Adrian

I believe the Loc Cool Spool is no longer in production so I see no issues posting the measurements. Mine measures (as it sits on the pad) about 6 1/2" in diameter and 8 1/4" to 8 3/8" tall depending on where you measure. Mine is kind of beat up. ;) The spindle is about 1 3/4" O.D. and the through hole is just a little over 1 1/2".

That should be enough info to make an upscale. :)

Several years ago I snagged 2 spools at my place of employment with the same specs as the Cool Spool. 1 is built ready to fly. I have been looking for more. Alas the new spools have to many cut-outs and holes in them(To save on materials) to be of any worth. To clone one using 1/8 ply stock, a 54mm bt(to help stabilize the rings) and a 29mm mmt my be the way to go.

Back