R/C SR-71 Hobby lab

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The SR-71 water decals are very fragile. I got tape too close to the cockpit front windshield and lost some of the decals. Otherwise, I found that I had to lay down masking tape sticky side up over the decals and pin the tape in place so that the non-sticky side was covering the decals. I found some acrylic spray paint Krylon Chalkboard in the acrylic section at Michaels. The paint is a little bit flatter than the gloss that is on the original SR-71, but overall the finish is not too bad.

IMG_2557.jpg IMG_2561.jpg

IMG_2565.jpg IMG_2566.jpg

I am going back and working on the nose damage of my Hobby Lab Sr-71 that was damaged in a crash last Fall. It looks like the repair may be doable. There seems to be a small thin nose cone at the tip of the SR-71. I separated it from the model and carved out the thin styrofoam inside a little bit with an Exacto knife. I then cut two small profiles of the SR-71 front fuselage from 1/64" ply. I glued one ply profile to the back of the crumpled fuselage without the nose cone tip using Foam-Cure flexible glue and 2 small plastic vice grips.

IMG_2925.jpg IMG_2929.jpg IMG_2932.jpg

The end result of the first half shell repair without the nose cone tip looks like this. The photo glare somewhat obscures this first half of the ply repair.
IMG_2936.jpg

I then took the remaining ply profile and put a slight crease in it with the Exacto knife and glued it to the nose tip holding it in place with a disposable paint brush handle. After the glue had dried I glued this part into the upper fuselage and lower shell, which was already in place.

IMG_2938.jpg IMG_2939.jpg

The final finished repair still remains, but it does look doable. This was fairly easy once I envisioned how to do it.

IMG_2942.jpg IMG_2944.jpg

Last edited:
I flew the repaired SR-71 again this past Saturday on an E15-P. I had an old launch pad that I built for the Lady Hawk that is adjustable for launch angle. I launched at about 30 Degrees from the vertical. I do not have any video or take-off pictures. Perhaps, the model transitioned to glide better than a vertical launch, but I still ended up in a flat pancake landing. Perhaps, my R/C skills are lacking. I could tell that I had a little bit of R/C control but not much and not much altitude to work with either. The good thing is that there was no damage except for the battery hatch coming off upon landing.

IMG_3009.jpg

Back