Airbrush Disaster!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jhein

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Hello!
Long time BAR lurker/1st time poster. Recently I tried airbrushing instead of the usual rattlecan. I used the Badger knockoff from Harbor Freight. Once I got the hang of it, I was having fun. But then disaster struck. As I was peeling off my usual blue masking tape off the areas I had masked, the underlying paint peeled off the rocket along with the tape! The underlying primer was Duplicolor High Build sanded smooth. The AB paint was Createx. I let the paint dry for 24 hours before applying the tape. The tape simply pulled the paint right off the primer in rubbery sheets like a latex paint. I tried to sand the acrylic so I can retouch but it doesn't sand, it just pills up in little balls.

What did I do wrong?

thanks
Jim

You may have used too fine a grit paper on your primer, i.e. not enough tooth for a good mechanical bond. 320 is as fine as you need to go. If that dosn't do it, it could be an incompatability between the Createx and primer. Createx makes a "bond all" adhesion promoter that could help. FWIW

Its pretty common, run a razor around your masking tape after you paint. Cut just on the tape, not on the rocket.

I have this happen a lot, easiest way i have found, the cratix doesnt really adhear well to hard surfaces.. its water based and water soluable, you can actually wash it off...

check out Createx's web site for their tech information. One of the biggest problems I see is that few people read the instructions for the product. It's time well spent.

@mkadams001:
Thanks for the reminder to check the Createx site. I did and I learned that the opaque AB paints need to be Heat Cured after air drying. The question now is do I need to invest in a heat gun? Over at the "Ye Old Rocket Forum" the person who authored the AB sticky mentions that a hair blow dryer works. Since my wife won't let me use hers, I have to buy something.

What does the collective mind think?

thanks
Jim

I had the same experience a couple of years ago. I wanted to use a water based paint so I could paint in my basement with minimal venting. Createx fit the description so off I went.

I used Duplicolor base and after waiting the appropriate interval, used the Createx over the duplicolor primer. In my case I was doing an all over white over duplicolor grey primer. After 24 hours, I went to wet sand the Createx layer and got a massive shock....where ever I sanded, the Createx just pealed off....time to read the instructions.

I had purchased the Createx "heat cured" paint instead of the "auto-cure". Heat cure requires something like 120°. In any case, after removing the damaged layer, I went forward using my Monocoat heat gun and have been very happy using Createx from that point on.

Another example of why reading the instructions saves the day.:eek:

"If at first you don't succeed, read the instruction!"

Although my personal favorite is "If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer!" :p

@mkadams001:
Thanks for the reminder to check the Createx site. I did and I learned that the opaque AB paints need to be Heat Cured after air drying. The question now is do I need to invest in a heat gun? Over at the "Ye Old Rocket Forum" the person who authored the AB sticky mentions that a hair blow dryer works. Since my wife won't let me use hers, I have to buy something.

What does the collective mind think?

thanks
Jim

Blow dryers are cheap enough... I got one to use to warm up the tractor battery, intake manifold, and head area for about 9 dollars at Walmart last winter... puts out pretty good heat too! (You'd be surprised what a little warmth in mid-winter will do for starting recalcitrant diesel tractors! I just prop the hair dryer under the hood on top of the radiator tank, pointing back at the intake manifold, battery box, blowing under the battery box across the cylinder head, and out the back... the hot air swirls under the hood and warms everything up in about 30 minutes or so... When I start cranking, I pull the intake dust separator off the intake air filter and shove the blow drier into the pipe inlet... blows hot air down into the filter which is drawn into the engine when I start cranking-- fires right up!)

How much heat is needed?? (Someone else mentioned 120 degrees?) Might be enough to just stick the rocket in the backseat of the car parked in full sunlight with the windows up for the afternoon... cars typically hit 140 degrees inside in full sunlight...

Later! OL JR :)

Back