Loki Research to be at LDRS XXX

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Loki Research

Motor Manufacturer
Reaction score
Here is an announcement from Paul Holmes which I thought everyone would like to see.

To All,

Scott Kormeier (Loki Research) has submitted all the correct documents to include transfer notice and the proper DOT stamps required to be granted Tripoli Certified Manufacturer status. This allows Mr. Kormeier to attend all Tripoli (and granting reciprocal organizations) functions as a motor manufacturer and to continue supplying our members with Loki Research reloads and motors. We will be discussing our future plans at LDRS 30 on procedures to get all of the legacy reloads, specifically the Loki White, Loki Blue and Spitfire propellant recertified due to this change in manufacturing venue. At this time those reloads will continue to be certified throughout this period as production gets back on-line.

Our Congratulations to Loki Research and we wish Scott and his team well in this endeavor.

H. Paul Holmes
Chairman, Tripoli Motor Testing

Great news. Thanks to Scott for picking up the line and also following all of the proper rules to get things going again. That bodes well for future success, in my opinion.

Looking forward to flying some LOKI again!

Sandy.

Congrats, Scott!

I know there are many folks out there who've been anxiously waiting for just such an announcement.

-Kevin

Hi Paul,
I am a TRIPOLI member #13019 and a research rocket enthusiast
wanting LOKI Research, new! and improved kits for making
large HPR reloads yourself! Opportunities revel when you can
design a propellant better and more powerful than aerotech!!
Tell Scott we want great new reloads from him! and would help
if he had more available used 54mm and 75, 98mm hardware for sale...
just some suggestions.....

Hi Paul,
I am a TRIPOLI member #13019 and a research rocket enthusiast
wanting LOKI Research, new! and improved kits for making
large HPR reloads yourself! Opportunities revel when you can
design a propellant better and more powerful than aerotech!!
Tell Scott we want great new reloads from him! and would help
if he had more available used 54mm and 75, 98mm hardware for sale...
just some suggestions.....
I'm wondering where a manufacturer would get USED hardware?

--Lance.

Congrats Scott! Thank you for taking the time (and aggravation, I'm sure) to do it right.
I don't have a Loki motor, and I my never have one (MPR may be my limit), but those that do surely appreciate your effort!

Best of luck Scott! After mixing 250lb propellant this week, I don't know how you guys do this full time.

Go Loki:)

Tell Scott we want great new reloads from him!

You're talking to him. ;)

New hardware and loads you say?

Shown below in blue are the 54/2800 and 76/3600 cases. The other cases are headed to the anodizer in the morning. For now, if you want to know any more you'll have to stop by the Loki Research booth at LDRS and ask. :rolleyes:

2011-08-22 09.47.04.jpg

Last edited:
thanks alot scott thats the last thing i need is a 54mm M class motor for my 54mm min diam:kill::lol::wink:

i am so bummed i will miss LDRS being stuck overseas at work sucks

Last edited:
Scott, I will be stopping by your booth just as soon as I get one of Tim's LDRS specials. See you there!

Scott,

For those of us poor souls who for whatever reason cannot make it to Argonia, is or will the website be up to date?

I'm hoping to see some Loki Blue in my future....

G.D.

The website is up to date, I just haven't had time to mark the items that are still out of stock. I'm working hard on restocking ALL inventory, it just takes a long time to do so.
If you email me what you're looking for, I'll let you know if I have it.
[email protected]

The website is up to date, I just haven't had time to mark the items that are still out of stock. I'm working hard on restocking ALL inventory, it just takes a long time to do so.
If you email me what you're looking for, I'll let you know if I have it.
[email protected]

Do we get to call dibbs? :cool:

I am very curious about that LoOOng 54mm tube..

AND< is the other 76/ Longer than the 8000..

See you at LDRS.

Hint, there is not a 76/8000 case in that photo.

Clay, if I've got it, it's for sale.

You talking to him. ;)

New hardware and loads you say?

Shown below in blue are the 54/2800 and 76/3600 cases. The other cases are headed to the anodizer in the morning. For now, if you want to know any more you'll have to stop by the Loki Research booth at LDRS and ask. :rolleyes:
Scott,
First off congratulations on the acquisition.
I'll be by early Friday morning.
A 54 M motor sign me up, at least once.
Miss ya at MWP ;-(((
Chris
TSR 10116

Flown:

L-1500, 54mm, 43.85" case, ~4,300Ns, 3 sec burn.
Flown on the 5th in Whitney Richard's 3" minimum diameter fiberglass rocket to ~14k'.

N-2600, 76mm, 51.15" case, 11,230Ns, ~5 sec burn.
Flown by Andrew Grippo in a 4" rocket. It shreded at the booster coupler about 3.5sec into the burn. Booster kept on bookin all the way to apogee. That's the second roket of Andrews sheded to a Loki motor at LDRS.

Lastly a K-500, 54/2000 case withe the same new propellant, flown as aresearch motor.
~2,100 Ns, 4sec burn.
Flown by Bart Merkley from Arlington, VA in his 54 Mongoose to ~13,900'. A new personal best for Bart!

Can't wait to do it again!

Last edited:
Flown:

L-1400, 54mm, 43.85" case, ~4,300Ns, 3 sec burn.
Flown on the 5th in Whitney Richard's 3" minimum diameter fiberglass rocket to ~14k'.

N-2600, 76mm, 51.15" case, 11,230Ns, ~5 sec burn.
Flown by Andrew Grippo in a 4" rocket. It shreded at the booster coupler about 3.5sec into the burn. Booster kept on bookin all the way to apogee. That's the second roket of Andrews sheded to a Loki motor at LDRS.

Lastly a K-500, 54/2000 case withe the same new propellant.
~2,100 Ns, 4sec burn.
Flown by Bart Merkley from Arlington, VA in his 54 Mongoose to ~13,900'. A new personal best for Bart!

Can't wait to do it again!

Nice. Any chance you going to make Balls this year Scott?

It was great to finally put a face with a name, Scott! Our club is looking forward to you making a trip up to Nebraska, when you get a chance to do so!

-Kevin

Yes, I plan on being at BALLS Burner.

Likewise Kevin.

I think I forgot to announce it, but the Loki Research web store has been opened and updated. I have not had a chance to update out of stock propellant, but it's not too much. I hope to have more changes coming soon to the website as well.

Oh yea, Whitney Richard before flying the L-1500. I called it an L1400 by mistake before.

L1500_Whitney.jpg

Last edited:
Yes, I plan on being at BALLS Burner.

Likewise Kevin.

I think I forgot to announce it, but the Loki Research web store has been opened and updated. I have not had a chance to update out of stock propellant, but it's not too much. I hope to have more changes coming soon to the website as well.

Oh yea, Whitney Richard before flying the L-1500. I called it an L1400 by mistake before.

Just wanted to say thank you to Scott from Loki Research. We used 4 M1882's to power our Rocket Powered Tiki Bar to 1,000' and captured 1st Place in the odd rockets competition for the Discovery Channel show. All motors burned perfectly. Loki is back!!! :smile:

TIkiBar2.jpg

TikiBar1.jpg

That's an amazing display of smoke and fire. Great job on the TIKI boost and Loki for the motors. I'm proud to say I've flown an M1882...though not 4 at once!

-Eric-

The Tiki Bar got 1st place?!!! I didn't know that. AWESOME job guys!

Oh and BTW, just in case anyone is wondering how the new motors are performing, those 4 M-1882's in the Tiki Bar were made in August 2011, along with the M-3000 that shreded Alex Z's (?) 3"MD rocket in the fastest to 10K race.

See you at MWP Eric.

Scott nice to see new things comming out already.

what is the thrust difference between the L1400 and L1500.

i fly a lot of L1400's and M2550's. any new 76mm M's on the horizon?

Yep, that Tiki Bar was awesome. Looked like a comet really. I was expecting the thatch roof to catch fire, but examining the remains the day after, it looked like it survived (at least better than the structure itself).

Last edited:
Yep, that Tiki Hut was awesome. Looked like a comet really. I was expecting the thatch on top to catch fire, but examining the remains the day after, it looked like it survived (at least better than the structure itself).

i was just across the drive from them... .... then.... i realized it was a rocket....

I serously just thougth someone was going to party it up right....

Unfortunately for me, we were reatreating from the heat by the time it flew.

what is the thrust difference between the L1400 and L1500.

I fly a lot of L1400's and M2550's. any new 76mm M's on the horizon?

I plan to do this propellant in all the larger 76mm and 54mm motors so you'll get some more L's and M's to fly.

I've never burned/tested this motor or case before so I couldn't give you a true comparison to the L1400LW. All I can say is, you'll really like it. I used the new 54mm Extended bulkhead on the flight, and after the rocket slowed down, you could see the smoke and track it for about 10 seconds or so after apogee. You can see it sticking out a bit further than ussual in the photo of Whitney.

Here's a video of the L1500. David Reese took it with my little Kodak pocket cam at 60fps. It sounds like a little more than a 3sec burn maybe. View it in 1080p res.

[YOUTUBE]DW-IvMSGZVM[/YOUTUBE]

Back