Wildman rocket design contest - Post your designs

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nh4clo4

Reaction score
I, for one, would love to see what ideas were submitted for this contest. I think it would be cool to share our ideas and designs.

Who knows what will come out of this. It's always fun to have a comparison point and to see the great ideas are out there. One of those could be my next scratch build project.:)

I'll start with my entries. I submitted the three rockets below. Nothing crazy, since I figured it would have to be relatively inexpensive to make.

Enjoy.

View attachment Albatross I.rkt

View attachment Jagged Edge II.rkt

View attachment Star_Seeker.rkt

I only submitted 1 entry. Maybe I should have put more in. The one I chose to submit was because it was as different from Tim's current kits as I could get while still being reasonble to manufacture, and relatively straightforward to build.

PS: you'll want to take a look at this in 3D, as it's 2 pairs of fins, and not 4 of the same.

View attachment helios.rkt

Side 0.JPG

side 90.JPG

helios_3D.JPG

Last edited:
As has been discussed in the Design-A-Wildman-Contest threads, it would be cool for folks who did not make the cut to post their designs here. I for one would be interested to see what everyone else came up with and submitted.

Here's mine:

I tried to strike a balance between something new/different, and manufacturing ease/cost. I also tried to come up with a design that was in keeping with the way Wildman does things (materials, construction details, scalability/versatility, etc.)

While there are two rockets shown, they are actually two versions of the same rocket. Similiar to the way the Wildmen and Darkstars are done, this can be flown as a shorter single deploy rocket, or as a longer dual deploy with the added AV/payload bay. This could easily be scaled up or down as well for other versions.

I very much meant this to include the curved/split fins that are shown on the longer rocket. However, with a nod to manufacturing ease/cost concerns, I included the much simpler square fins (shown on the shorter version) as an option for Tim/Jim to choose if they felt it necessary.

My sim flights range from 1000' (H) to 7000' (J) on 38mm motors.

So, fellow losers, post your work! Let's see what "everyone else" came up with.

s6

wmcontent.jpg

I really do understand how the rocketry community has embraced Rocksim and other various software proggies for designing rockets, but I'm sure there's a great many of us "OF's" out there that don't need to or want to use them. Therefore, we can not see these file types you are posting. Seeing how the thread title caught my interest, I had considered posting a few of my own. Guess I won't be doing that if I can't see my competition. :(

I really do understand how the rocketry community has embraced Rocksim and other various software proggies for designing rockets, but I'm sure there's a great many of us "OF's" out there that don't need to or want to use them. Therefore, we can not see these file types you are posting. Seeing how the thread title caught my interest, I had considered posting a few of my own. Guess I won't be doing that if I can't see my competition. :(
OpenRocket is free and will open RockSim files. It won't save files in RockSim format.

Here is mine. Big, bad. Build already in progress (although my actual build is utilizing Blue Tube 2.0 and Honeycomb fins versus the Fiberglass requested by Wildman). Named Curtana (ceremonial sword). Color scheme: Black, Lime Green, Flame Red-Orange with geometric shape highlights (Stickershock decal attached).

Curtana.jpg

Curtana_3D.jpg

Curtana pre.jpg

Last edited:
This is my design, Wild Thing, four inch fiberglass rocket with four 38mm holes. Sims to 600ft on two G185's and 11,000 on four J570's.

Manny

WT 1.jpg

WT 2.jpg

I only submitted 1 entry. Maybe I should have put more in. The one I chose to submit was because it was as different from Tim's current kits as I could get while still being reasonble to manufacture, and relatively straightforward to build.

PS: you'll want to take a look at this in 3D, as it's 2 pairs of fins, and not 4 of the same.

Very cool. I like how the tube fin is nested inside the larger fins.

I like tsai's helios.

I'm generally not a fan of tube fins, but that's pretty cool.

s6

Although personally a RockSim user, I agree that it would be nice for folks to post screen captures of their designs. Even though I have the program, downloading the files and then opening them is a bit of a pain just to have a look-see. If I'm interested after a quick look, it's then great to have the RockSim file to open and investigate further.

s6

Here's mine. It's a two inch rocket that sims to just over a mile on an I200. It's slightly adapted from a scratch built rocket that I have.

Wildman Design.jpg

Wildman Design 2D.jpg

Nice, Brian. I like the sleek boat-tail. I'd like to see pics of the actual rocket you have.

I also like the quad posted by Manny. More clusters!

s6

I like tsai's helios.

I'm generally not a fan of tube fins, but that's pretty cool.

s6

Thank you, sir, that is high praise. Tube fin/ring fin designs are generally polarising. Designing one that appeals to the masses has been a remarkable challenge.

Cheers,
- Ken

I posted this in the other thread, but here is mine. It is slightly adapted from a scratch rocket that I built a while ago.

Picture 187.jpg

Attachments

• Wildman Design 2D.jpg
    Wildman Design 2D.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 25
  • Wildman Design.jpg
    Wildman Design.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 25
Here's mine;

Broken arrow, a 54mm dual deploy 2 wing and 3 fin design. I built it to test a different building technique; the center rings, motor tube, wings, and fins are all built outside of the rocket. The rocket is precut to the end to for all of the fins to just slide right in. Just need to fillet and foam and your done.

Of course, I haven't actually finished building the rocket yet.... too many other projects have jumped in queue, but the fincan concept worked well.

brokenarrow.jpg

brokenarrow2.jpg

Here's pics. Sorry! Forgot about non Rocksimers.

Photon Probe 2D.jpg

Monogram 2D.jpg

Photon Probe 3D.jpg

Monogram 3D.jpg

Last edited:
Brian, that looks awesome! That's one I would have picked up for sure if it won the contest

Here's mine;

Broken arrow, a 54mm dual deploy 2 wing and 3 fin design. I built it to test a different building technique; the center rings, motor tube, wings, and fins are all built outside of the rocket. The rocket is precut to the end to for all of the fins to just slide right in. Just need to fillet and foam and your done.

Of course, I haven't actually finished building the rocket yet.... too many other projects have jumped in queue, but the fincan concept worked well.

brokenarrow.jpg

brokenarrow2.jpg

Wow, I have to say, most of these designs are better than the Wildman contest finalists.

I agree!!!!
alexzogh's is simply stunning. blows away the designs in the wildman poll. I would like to revoke my vote for Arrow, and vote for broken arrow. the photo's you've posted do not look like they are from rocksim. Could you possibly post the rocksim file? I would love to take a closer look. Also, I don't really understand the building idea you were talking about. sliding the fins in? Could you explain this a little better?

Thank you, I'm blushing from the praise :>

This was originally made in openrocket. I converted them to rocksim, as that is what Tim requested.

I also have a 38mm version, and a 2nd stage for the 54mm dual deploy version.

The beauty of this hobby is we are all standing on the shoulders of giants. While the wings are different, the idea of 2 wings and 3 fins goes all the way back to the early bell x- rocketplanes. Do a search on TRF for Bret Simpkins, he built a giant 2 stage 2 wing 3 fin design a few years back - wings are very different, but the idea is the same.

The construction idea to build the fincan outside of the rocket isn't my idea either. Giant Leap sells something called a groove lock (https://giantleaprocketry.com/products_fins.asp) that shows this technique really well. Unfortunately, they only sell it in a 38mm version.

You will have to wait until Monday for the rocksim files. I converted them to rocksim on my work computer.

This thread is longer than the other one, so I guess it's the winner. :)

I uploaded my design to RocketReviews.com at:

https://www.rocketreviews.com/rocksim-infiltrator.html

I called the design "Infiltrator" just because it was the only action-sounding "-tor" name I could think of that hasn't been used for a kit's name. I based the design on the Shadow/Optima which, as some may know, is a favorite of mine. Instead of the upper fins, though, this design has a ring of tubes embedded in the main body tube. It took me a little while to figure out how to model it in Rocksim. I finally created a phantom, virtual tube, on which to mount the embedded tubes as "tube fins."

Coming up with the design was a fun diversion.

-- Roger

Last edited:
Sorry Alex, I need to post a few corrections to your comments.

If you want to find the original sledgehammer, you will need to search the archives, not this site. Here is the link: https://www.rocketryforumarchive.com/showthread.php?t=36316

I see you made his design for your level 3 rocket in your signature. Very kind of you to acknowledge him as inspiration for your kit, that doesn't happen very often. Personally, I find your version much more appealing, and head and shoulders above the finalists outlined in the poll thread. The hobby seems to be fixated on angles; when I see a kit with flowing curves, it really stands out. Giant Leap didn't invent the concept of building the motor and fins outside of the rocket. You can go back to the mid 1990's and rocketry online had some great how-to's using this method. Finally, peformance rocketry already sells a kit called "Broken Arrow". Just correcting some of the facts, not knocking your great design which should have won.

Last edited:
Back