Excelsior needs a bit of help on a decal.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sandman

Reaction score
I'm doing this for a customer and if I can get everything worked out our club (HUVARS) is planning a winter build session for this project.

The regular decals are no problem I can just print those.

The problem is the metallic yellow roll pattern at the top of the Patriot missile.

I can print the silver chrome just fine. I can print the black just fine.

Printing that much yellow on a sheet comes out way to funky with streaks and overlaps and it is just beyond the capability of an Alps printer

I am trying to do the metallic yellow. There is no metallic yellow Alps ink. I have tried printing yellow (without the white undercoat) over gold Mylar paper...no good. Not enough of the gold shows through and I get the streaking effect.

The gold Mylar paper seems to print the silver chrome and the black OK but the I may have to stick with the gold Mylar and forget about the yellow.

Would the gold be acceptable to most of you?

Any ideas or comment?

The attachments shows it in yellow but it is shiny and chrome like with a silver border about 1/4" wide and the oval thingys are silver inside not white

Pro Patriot 3.JPG

Is there any reason the decals cannot be layered, one atop the other?

For example, have the black sections printed onto the metallic yellow mylar, and print the white and silver on clear, with small registration marks that could be trimmed off after application.

Then you apply the yellow mylar onto the airframe, and once that is dry, you would apply the clear decal.

Never done it before myself, but I can't imagine why it couldn't be done.

G.D.

Is there any reason the decals cannot be layered, one atop the other?

For example, have the black sections printed onto the metallic yellow mylar, and print the white and silver on clear, with small registration marks that could be trimmed off after application.

Then you apply the yellow mylar onto the airframe, and once that is dry, you would apply the clear decal.

Never done it before myself, but I can't imagine why it couldn't be done.

G.D.

It seems I worded that wrong.

The problem is the metallic yellow.

I can't duplicate the metallic yellow color. I can do gold, silver, chrome gold, chrome silver, metallic magenta (red) and metallic cyan (blue) but there is no metallic yellow available. I have chrome gold Mylar and I tried printing yellow over it but that doesn't let enough of the chrome shine through the translucent yellow.

What I am asking is, is chrome gold instead of chrome yellow an acceptable color for this model?

All of the other colors, chrome silver and black print over the gold just fine.

Chrome yellow is just not available.

At least someone here has replied. Over on YORF all they want to talk about is politics.:rolleyes: and the end of America.

Last edited:
Is there a clear yellow tinted sheet that you could apply on top of the chrome silver to get your metallic yellow?

G.D.

It would work for me. But then I am not a purist. I have always liked the original. I was thinking of trying a 3 or 4 inch upscale.

I'm doing this for a customer and if I can get everything worked out our club (HUVARS) is planning a winter build session for this project.

The regular decals are no problem I can just print those.

The problem is the metallic yellow roll pattern at the top of the Patriot missile.

I can print the silver chrome just fine. I can print the black just fine.

Printing that much yellow on a sheet comes out way to funky with streaks and overlaps and it is just beyond the capability of an Alps printer

I am trying to do the metallic yellow. There is no metallic yellow Alps ink. I have tried printing yellow (without the white undercoat) over gold Mylar paper...no good. Not enough of the gold shows through and I get the streaking effect.

The gold Mylar paper seems to print the silver chrome and the black OK but the I may have to stick with the gold Mylar and forget about the yellow.

Would the gold be acceptable to most of you?

Any ideas or comment?

The attachments shows it in yellow but it is shiny and chrome like with a silver border about 1/4" wide and the oval thingys are silver inside not white

Gordo
May I make another suggestion: If your really looking for a Yellow metallic I strongly suggest Krylon X-Metal yellow over X-Metal metallic silver base coat. it comes out looking like Anodized alumimum with a bit of a metal flake sparkle.
I've only done one model with the stuff but MAN you can't believe the sparkle and shine outdoors. has the Miles deep look. Sorry these are the best pictures I have. the upper section is X-Metal Purple which looks more burgandy to me:)
I've printed alps yellow over metallic silver rather then Silver foil that came out very well on a fairly large Model name not sure what it would look like on a full background piece though.
Hope this helps or at least give you another option

Special Paints_3of6 KrylonX-Metal (Anodized)_10-17-10.JPG

MM 379_MM T3 DarkStar_05-17-11.JPG

MM 379Lp01a_DarkStar on pad 1st flt_05-21-11.JPG

MM 379Lp01b_DarkStar Mid Flight_05-21-11.JPG

442a02_OneLONGNight-LED's&Fintips_09-11-06.jpg

Not really a yellow metallic, more of a yellow gold foil but much lighter yellow.

More yellow than gold but foil like.

Really hard for me to describe.

I really appreciate all the tips so far.

Is the yellow block even needed? It is my understanding that it isn't "scale."

I would say no it's not needed. I'm just trying to accommodate a customer.
True. Yes, that's important. He or she contracted with you to create a certain specific design in a decal.

Gordy try Avery 500 series metallics they have several Yellows. you should be able to use that as your medium and print right on it with the alps.

I apologize if this is an over-simplistic suggestion, but...

Could you not print the yellow at 50% saturation (or whatever), rather than 100% yellow, over the gold underlay? That should allow some of the gold/sparkle to show through. It might also reduce the noticeable banding as there's less ink at the intersection to make the band pronounced where they don't quite meet.

Of course, I don't know what kind of software you use to drive that Alps, nor whether you can print anything but "solid" colors (vs. partial coverage). But I would assume that it's possible. If so, it's worth a try.

I apologize if this is an over-simplistic suggestion, but...

Could you not print the yellow at 50% saturation (or whatever), rather than 100% yellow, over the gold underlay? That should allow some of the gold/sparkle to show through. It might also reduce the noticeable banding as there's less ink at the intersection to make the band pronounced where they don't quite meet.

Of course, I don't know what kind of software you use to drive that Alps, nor whether you can print anything but "solid" colors (vs. partial coverage). But I would assume that it's possible. If so, it's worth a try.

I use Corel Draw.

I tried printing at various percentages at just one band per try and the color just doesn't look right on any of them.

My next try is yellow over silver.

I have no idea if this is useful, but if you can get the printer matched to the screen...

Metallic-Yellow.gif

Name # Metallic Yellow
Product # M9
HTML # FDCD0C
CMYK # 1, 18, 99, 0
RGB # 253, 205, 12

https://www.art-paints.com/Paints/Fabric/Dala/Metallic-Liners/Metallic-Yellow/Metallic-Yellow.html

Bob

Latest posts

Back