Dr. Zooch SLS- beta build thread...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
370.jpg
Roll program initiated...

371.jpg
Rolling to the proper launch azimuth...

372.jpg
SLS continues its ascent to orbit...

375.jpg
and begins the pitchover manuever...

378.jpg
SLS continues to climb steadily...

More coming! OL JR :)

381.jpg
SLS continues heading downrange to the east...

382.jpg
As it completes its pitchover to the east...

383.jpg
Throttling down now as we approach...

384.jpg
the area of maximum dynamic pressure on the vehicle...

385.jpg
SLS now passing through Max Q...

More coming! OL JR :)

387.jpg
SLS is through Max Q...

389.jpg
now throttling up its main engines...

391.jpg
to full rated thrust of the SSME's...

393.jpg
and we have SRB burnout...

395.jpg
SLS continuing under the thrust of its SSME's...

This is the voice of SLS control... we'll have more coming in just a moment! OL JR :)

397.jpg
SLS climbing toward orbit...

399.jpg
on this first unmanned test flight...

400.jpg
of the SLS vehicle that will return America to deep space exploration...

401.jpg
And we have a safe return of the SLS vehicle...

Later! OL JR :)

Yep, she sure did... couldn't have gotten any closer to a "scale" flight profile if you tried... she rolled a bit right off the pad, pitched over toward the east, and flew like a bat outta h3ll... just perfect!

Deployed her chute and landed not 50 yards from the pad... BEAUTIFUL flight!

I otta get mission points for this one... :)

Luke...can I ask what engine you had in her? C6-5? I agree with you...just a perfect flight!!

Yep, she sure did... couldn't have gotten any closer to a "scale" flight profile if you tried... she rolled a bit right off the pad, pitched over toward the east, and flew like a bat outta h3ll... just perfect!

Deployed her chute and landed not 50 yards from the pad... BEAUTIFUL flight!

I otta get mission points for this one... :)

this thread was extremely helpful to me in building the SLS kit. Having built the Shuttle kit also helped. I am just now finished with assembly of the components and need to paint the core stage before attaching the SRBs.

SLS.jpg

I have not decided whether to paint in Shuttle ET colors, or paint white and add the black trim in Saturn colors. I did not use the Saturn wraps in the kit, I like the texture of the corrugation strips better than the simulated corrugation on the printed wraps. The red corrugation in this kit is more like a foil, different than the paper wrap that was in the Shuttle kit.

I hope to finish this SLS, and then maybe I can get the EFT-1 and build it before the actual launch takes place.

Go job, I like it!!! If there is a plan to put four SRB"s on the real one, I bet a model with four SRB's would fly without fins, especialy if the rocket where lengthened a little. I've done it lots of times.

she looks great Glen!! Nice job! can't wait to see how you paint her.
I agree..Luke's threads are great! really helpful!

this thread was extremely helpful to me in building the SLS kit. Having built the Shuttle kit also helped. I am just now finished with assembly of the components and need to paint the core stage before attaching the SRBs.

View attachment 187186

I have not decided whether to paint in Shuttle ET colors, or paint white and add the black trim in Saturn colors. I did not use the Saturn wraps in the kit, I like the texture of the corrugation strips better than the simulated corrugation on the printed wraps. The red corrugation in this kit is more like a foil, different than the paper wrap that was in the Shuttle kit.

I hope to finish this SLS, and then maybe I can get the EFT-1 and build it before the actual launch takes place.

Go job, I like it!!! If there is a plan to put four SRB"s on the real one, I bet a model with four SRB's would fly without fins, especialy if the rocket where lengthened a little. I've done it lots of times.

Nope, there won't be any four SRB boosters using shuttle size solid rockets out of KSC... I know I've seen proposals for them several times, even pics of 3 SRB proposals, but none of them are realistic... total pie in the sky thinking...

When Ares V was still being developed, it went from 4 segment shuttle type boosters to 5 segment Ares I type SRM boosters... the weight of the two additional segments is quite substantial. Ares I problems pushed more of the lunar stack mission weight onto the Ares V, which needed additional performance to lift the additional mass... so the SRB's were increased on Ares V to 5.5 segment boosters (each segment is made up of two smaller segments, joined together at the factory in Utah after the propellant is cast into them, then these joined segments are shipped individually to Florida by rail and stored in bunkers at CCAFS, and moved over to the VAB at KSC for assembly into the shuttle or rocket stack-- these segments are joined together at the "field joints" between the segments-- the other joints are locked together at the factory. The 5.5 segment boosters would have added an additional "half segment" to the top of the booster for additional thrust over the standard Ares I type five-segment boosters). The addition of an extra "full segment" mass (two half segments, one on each of the two Ares V boosters) plus the additional mass of the Ares V's larger planned 10 meter (33 foot diameter) core (versus the SLS "shuttle size" 8.4 meter (27.5 foot) core) and six RS-68 engines was enough to max out the weight that the VAB floor, crawler, and crawlerway could support... plus the additional mass of the launch platform. It was also rapidly approaching the limits of the pads themselves and what they could support. There was even talk of going to SIX segment boosters for Ares V since more performance was needed, but it was completely unfeasible, without COMPLETELY reworking the VAB floor, crawlers, crawlerways, and pads that would support the massive stack during assembly, movement out to the launch pads, and hold them for launching... which would have been prohibitively expensive and was a non-starter.

The Russian Buran shuttle launcher, the Energia rocket, used four boosters, but the Russians use LIQUID rocket boosters, not solid rocket boosters, and unlike solid boosters liquids are moved to the pad EMPTY of propellant and fueled at the pad, whereas the solid boosters are moved fully fueled from the VAB, making them EXTREMELY heavy. Therefore NO more than 2 SRB's (at least when we're talking about large SRBs like the 146 inch diameter shuttle-size SRBs) can be supported with the infrastructure at KSC. Liquid rocket boosters would be a totally different story, just as with the Russian Energia.

Now, there were also proposals for Saturn V variants back in the late 60's that would have added four solid rocket boosters to the sides of the Saturn V. These proposals, however, would have had the Saturn V stacked on the MLP in the VAB as was normally done, and then moved to the pad via crawler. Then the crawler would have brought in a new piece of equipment that would have sat on the pad, equipped with cranes and equipment to stack and attach the solid rockets to the sides of the Saturn V as it sat on the pad... the solid rockets themselves would have been moved out to the pad via the crawler one at a time (or in segments, depending on the solid rocket design). Therefore the crawlers and crawlerways and VAB floors would never have had to bear the full weight of such a massive stack of solid rockets and the core Saturn V. (the pads would have had to been beefed up, however, as well as the new solid stacking facility built to be transported to the pad via the crawler, and hauled away by the crawler before launch after attaching the solid boosters to the Saturn V.)

For these reasons, any "four SRB" proposals are pure fantasy, at least for NASA rockets out of KSC...

As for adding more SRBs to the Dr. Zooch SLS kit and it being stable without the flame fins, in a word-- DON'T. It won't be stable. The Dr. Zooch kits using flame fin units are designed specifically to use the flame fins as instructed to remain stable and fly stably.

View attachment 187186

Great job! KUTGW! OL JR :)

Finished painting and decorating. I took some liberty with the decals, using scans I found on-line from the Estes Saturn V decal sheet and the Dr. Zooch patch. Brush painting in the corrugated regions was challenging, the paint tends to get sucked under the masking tape due to capillary action in those little channels, I would not try to do this again, I should have used spray paint.

DSC_6074.jpgDSC_6077.jpgSLS_ZOOCH_LAUNCH copy.jpg

Attachments

• DSC_6075.jpg
    DSC_6075.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 102
a few more close ups... really fun kit to build, I can't wait to fly it.
DSC_6082.jpgDSC_6083.jpgDSC_6085.jpgDSC_6086.jpg

For these reasons, any "four SRB" proposals are pure fantasy...

speaking of which, Boy/Cub Scouts are in the middle of their popcorn fundraiser; the sales incentive prize sheets have an interesting rocket to illustrate this year's theme: Wings of Exploration. The rocket artwork is not one of the actual prizes scouts can earn, but an interesting artistic rendering of a 4-booster configuration. I wonder where it came from or what inspired it. Looks somewhat shuttle-derived. Probably came from clip-art.

Picture 2.jpg

speaking of which, Boy/Cub Scouts are in the middle of their popcorn fundraiser; the sales incentive prize sheets have an interesting rocket to illustrate this year's theme: Wings of Exploration. The rocket artwork is not one of the actual prizes scouts can earn, but an interesting artistic rendering of a 4-booster configuration. I wonder where it came from or what inspired it. Looks somewhat shuttle-derived. Probably came from clip-art.

View attachment 188126

That's a Soviet Energia... the booster they used to launch their Buran shuttle. The main difference between the Energia/Buran and our shuttle system is that their Energia was designed to be capable of launching other payloads than their Buran shuttle, although it was only used once in that role-- to launch the side-mount payload in place of the Buran, the Polyus space battle station (which was the Soviet answer to "Star Wars" under Reagan). Unfortunately the Polyus was supposed to flip 180 degrees end for end and ignite its own engines to insert it into orbit, but due to an error it flipped a full 360 degrees and fired its engines in a retrograde fashion, decelerating it into reentry rather than accelerating it into orbit.

Energia's only other launch was to boost the unmanned Buran orbiter into space for its first flight... the Buran then subsequently reentered and flew down to a runway landing automatically (something the US shuttle was specifically designed NOT to be able to do, to REQUIRE the presence of astronauts aboard).

Energia was a very interesting rocket... it consisted of a large central core vehicle burning LH2 and LO2 in four RD-0120 hydrogen burning engines mounted directly under the core, unlike the US shuttle which housed its three SSME's in the orbiter and used the External Tank for mere fuel canisters. The Soviets decided that reusable LH2 engines weren't worth the effort and expense and expended them with the core. Their Buran merely carried a pair of small maneuvering engines roughly analogous to the OMS engines on the US orbiters. Like the US shuttle, the Energia needed additional boost for liftoff, which it obtained from outboard boosters. Unlike the US shuttle, however, these were LIQUID rocket boosters, not solid rocket boosters like our shuttle. This has a lot of advantages, not the least of which is the boosters are moved the to the pad COMPLETELY EMPTY of propellant, unlike SRB's which are completely filled with propellant and thus EXTREMELY HEAVY when stacked in the VAB and moved to the pad on the crawler. The LRB's on the Energia were in fact modified Zenit rockets, each powered by an RD-170 four-chambered kerosene/oxygen burning engine. The strange "boxes" on the sides of the boosters were designed to house recovery parachutes and landing legs, as eventually the Zenit boosters for Energia were designed to be reusable (they would deploy parachutes and land horizontally on landing legs, at least that's how they were designed, but sadly they never actually launched them in a reusable configuration... Energia was canceled before it flew more than twice and could actually be launched in that configuration).

Also, unlike the super-heavy SRB's which MUST be stacked vertically (as all NASA rockets have been in the VAB and moved to the pad via crawler) the much much lighter LRB's are mated to the Energia core horizontally, as the Soviets have always integrated their launch vehicles, and then rolled them to the pad by rail and then erected them vertically onto the pad, as Soyuz and Proton is done (as was their N-1 moon rocket). The Buran was lifted atop the Energia stack and the entire assembly rolled out to the pad by rail and then stood up onto the pad and prepared for launch, unlike our shuttle which was moved vertically by the crawler to the pad.

Anyway, that's why the Energia could use four boosters while the US shuttle and shuttle derived vehicles cannot...

Very interesting that those are LRBs rather than SRBs. I thought it looked vaguely familiar, but I wasn't sure that the illustration was based on an actual historical rocket. Kind of ironic the that Boy Scouts of America fundraiser material features a Russian rocket, maybe no big deal these days I guess, but back in the height of the Cold War this would have been considered a major faux pas of international proportions, but let's not get the French involved.

just now gluing up the flame fins to the body tubes for the SLS. I noticed these fins are slightly smaller than the Shuttle, I need to mark them so I don't forget which set goes with which rocket at the launch pad.

I ordered the EFT-1 from Apogee this week and it should arrive in the mail today. I have been on a Zooch-kick lately: Shuttle, SLS, EFT-1, those kits are addictive, just the right combination of scale-realism and simplicity. We are in the rainy season, so I can't fly for a while, so this is a good time for building up a new fleet.

just now gluing up the flame fins to the body tubes for the SLS. I noticed these fins are slightly smaller than the Shuttle, I need to mark them so I don't forget which set goes with which rocket at the launch pad.

I ordered the EFT-1 from Apogee this week and it should arrive in the mail today. I have been on a Zooch-kick lately: Shuttle, SLS, EFT-1, those kits are addictive, just the right combination of scale-realism and simplicity. We are in the rainy season, so I can't fly for a while, so this is a good time for building up a new fleet.

I've got a build thread of the EFT-1 here too... plus I built a second one for Wes at Dr. Zooch for the Cape Canaveral Air Force Station Museum...

Glen.....the great thing about Dr. Zooch is the variety of kits to choose form. His Titan III is another neat looking rocket that is pretty straight forward to build. Flies great too! My personal favorite Zooch kit is his Saturn 1b (white tank)....just an awesome kit! His Lifting Body is a close second! of course, his Vostok, Soyuz, Saturn V, Mercury Redstone are pretty cool too.....

I found all of Luke's beta build threads very detailed and helpful, it really helps to plan ahead and visualize the procedures. The many other more recent contributions over the years also give good ideas, its amazing the longevity of some of these build threads as new people discover the kits. In building the Shuttle kit first the others seem fairly straightforward by comparison.

My wish list includes a Mercury Redstone, a Mark II (close enough to a Titan/Gemini), and a Saturn V. Those would look nice on display next to the Shuttle and SLS. Not sure if there are still any of those Vanguard Eagle gap-staged kits available, those look really cool, but I would probably never see the sustainer stage again at my home field unless I put a return postage guaranteed address label on it.

I found all of Luke's beta build threads very detailed and helpful
Yep, he does a great job on explaining what he's doing in the builds, and has a lot of great suggestions!

My wish list includes a Mercury Redstone, a Mark II (close enough to a Titan/Gemini), and a Saturn V.
Luke has great Redstone and Saturn V build threads. I have a detailed build thread of the Saturn V too (complete with instructions on how to get the Funky Glue Putty to work), but on the Redstone I limited my build thread to just the capsule and red Launch Escape Tower on top, showing how I managed to get the LET red without painting the capsule too. There's a useful tip in there on building it around a pencil that you should look at.

Thank you so much for posting this!!! We went to start building this over the weekend, and realized we got the instructions for the Saturn V instead. This is going to save much fear and loathing!

here's a cool promotional video on the Boeing web site:

That's a cool video. I just hope I'm still alive when (and if) they ever launch one of these!

I'm only 46, but with the speed these programs go and the cancellation history I wouldn't make any bets.

Latest posts

Back