The building of inertial navigation system

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

93°

I am a 17 years old student from China. I started building this system 1 year ago and it will be launched soon.
I believe this is the first amateur rocket with navigation and control system in China. Please excuse my poor English.

Functional Block Diagram
The Diagram below shows how the navigation system works.
fbd.PNG

According to this diagram, the coordinate of target will be set before launch, then the INS and GPS system will be calculating the real time coordinate of the rocket. This positioning data will be used to compute the command to control the rocket.
The coordinate system of GPS is WGS-84, and the coordinate system used in INS is NEU system. The coordinate of target will be transformed to NEU coordinate system from WGS-84 system first.

Sensors from ADI(ANALOG DEVICES) are used in this project

DSC_0096.jpg

DSC_0007.jpg

DSC_0100.jpg

Three STM32F103 CPUs are used in this rocket. However it was still not fast enough.
Im trying to upgrade them to DSP now.

DSC_0102.jpg

DSC_0104.jpg

DSC_0003.jpg

DSC_0051.jpg

This is the finished rocket. Named "SION", 4 servo motors are installed, it will be launched soon.

SION.jpg

The chart below shows the flight data from my earlier rockets.

gyro.png

RF(HITOBI) Studio
https://rfstudio.info
will... i am too lazy to update my website ;p

Last edited:
Hi!
Your project is impressive. What are your future development plans?

I am working on a very big rocket project and I really need a inertial navigation system with full long range communications link.

It you are interested in learning more about it an perhaps work on the project, let me know.

Anyhow nice stuff you are making. Keep posting updates please

Wow! I am just getting into electronics myself. Looks impressive! What are you using for engines?

I love to dabble in electronics but really dont have a clue what all your data is..anyway thats one nice machine I dare call it a model rocket

Wow, that is very, very impressive. It would be cool to do something like that in America, however, it is against the law here.

In America, once a rocket has a guidance system installed it is no longer classified as a model rocket. Our government sees it as a potential danger at that point.

Keep us posted as to how it worked!

I'm sure you are quite competent with the electronics and all but I would find a bunker to hide in the first time you launch it. :y:

Hello 93 !

Congrat, is a very interesting project and seem you have a good advance.

I would like to understand better your project, i'm not interesting either the electronic or navigation part.

i'm interesting in the control theory, how do you got the transfer function to have a stable flight and the limit of your rocket?

Other is how many thrust duration you will have ? and what kind of flight do you are planing ?

Sorry for all the question but i like the control theory, indeed i have more questions :y:

Thanks for sharing your work !!

Nice project, but big problems: with that package installed in your rocket; it's no longer a rocket. It is now a missile.

Destructive or not it is still a missile.

JD

I'm with you JD, It's not that we can't do this. We are not allowed to for obvious reasons. It's a Missile, therefore illegal to build at the hobby level in the US and the rest of the civilized world!

Eric Foster

Wow, that is very, very impressive. It would be cool to do something like that in America, however, it is against the law here.

In America, once a rocket has a guidance system installed it is no longer classified as a model rocket. Our government sees it as a potential danger at that point.

Keep us posted as to how it worked!

That sucks, because this hardware would be a boon to assist rockets maintain a stable flight.

Not sure that this would be illegal in Canada, but I'm guessing that this would be. I don't think this ever came to question here. Altho' the system doesn't do any active targeting of any objects in the air.

93º, I personally welcome your presence here, and I hope to see more posts from you!

Last edited:
Can someone point to or quote a specific law, statute or regulation that prohibits active guidance on a model rocket? I have looked for such a law and I can't find it. I'm not saying that such a law doesn't exist I just can't find it if it does.

Active guidance does not make a rocket a missile. Infact a missile can be unguided. A rock thrown at a target is a missile. An arrow is a missile. A bullet is a missile. Obviously rocks, arrows and bullets are not illegal in the U.S.

I assume that the OP has made provisions for the safe recovery of his rocket and the inclosed electronics that he has worked so hard on.

Some of our more distinguished rocketeers have experimented with active guidance on model rockets. George Gassaway and his sun guided rocket come to mind.

The fact that this project is being built but a 17 year old blows me away. Good work young sir!

I don't know that it's explicitly illegal, but I can guarantee it will get you a tremendous amount of attention if you do a project along the lines of the original poster. He's integrated INS with a GPS, which you can be the government would look at and say "potential targeting system."

The hobby projects, including George's have essentially been around causing a rocket to travel in an upward, benign trajectory. Not towards a target or location.

Significant difference in terms of the level of attention it will receive.

In addition, I'd bet money that the US government would tell you that any discussion regarding INS and GPS integration would be covered by ITAR.

-Kevin

I don't know that it's explicitly illegal, but I can guarantee it will get you a tremendous amount of attention if you do a project along the lines of the original poster. He's integrated INS with a GPS, which you can be the government would look at and say "potential targeting system."

OMG, have you seen the plethora of amateur UAV sites on the internet? I think that community may be larger than HPR after a while. All the quadcopter and like are advancing with IMU's and GPS. The genie is well out of the bottle by now.

OMG, have you seen the plethora of amateur UAV sites on the internet? I think that community may be larger than HPR after a while. All the quadcopter and like are advancing with IMU's and GPS. The genie is well out of the bottle by now.

Didn't know that; interesting that the gov't hasn't had a hissy fit.

-Kevin

Active guidance does not make a rocket a missile. Infact a missile can be unguided. A rock thrown at a target is a missile. An arrow is a missile. A bullet is a missile. Obviously rocks, arrows and bullets are not illegal in the U.S.

Good point. If we extend the logic a bit, we all are building missiles with a passive guidance system.:pop:

I have seen several threads on this forum dealing with steerable recovery of a rocket or glider. Some have proposed using GPS to that end. The ultimate goal being to make a rocket land where you want it to. The fact that we see so few successes in this is testimony to how hard it is to do.

If our OP is successful in his endevours I can see a rocket that can steer itself back to a given point, flare to a nose up attitude and deploy its chute. Pretty neat feat if it can be done.

This kind of high tech experimentation isn't really my cup of tea but I would hate to think that our gov would restrict anyone from doing it. Especially if that someone is a very talented young person. Perhaps I am a bit naive?

really cool. been wanting to do something like this for a while myself amazing bit of engineering and programming to be done at home. i know the theory behind it all just wouldn't have any idea on how to write the ofp for a system like this.

Back