Launch Lug Placement

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Che

Reaction score
I was just curious as to how much flexibility there is in placing the launch lug. I would like to hide it a little and keep it out of plain view in the middle of the body.

The rocket is the Quest - Magnum, Sport Loader. The kit instructions say to install the trailing edge of the launch lug stand-off 7 inches from the end of the body tube. The body tube is only 14.5" long, which puts this nearly smack dab in the middle of it. I was thinking of hiding it right next to one of the rear fins.

Any help is much appreciated.

I'd wager something about the center of gravity of the rocket figures in to lug location so it doesn't try to tilt as it goes up the rod.

I'm using the trial version of RockSim. The launch lug should be centered at the balancing point of the length of the rocket. This is to maximize eash of launch off the launch rod. If it is off, it will create drag effecting max altitude and performance. If it's too far off, and the launch rod is too small it will hang up on the rod from the thrust of the engine (torque) and you will get deployment while on the pad.
Kit rockets are designed for maximum performance. My suggestion is to put it where the instructions say too.
You can download the 30 day free trial of RockSim from Apogee, try adding weight to the tail or nose to move the center of gravity to get the launch lug where you want it. But adding weight will also effect the performance and altitude.
Model rockets have launch lugs. It's a fact of life we all live with.
Personally, I use larger than suggested or supplied launch lugs, coathing the launch rod with graphite powder and squiting some inside the launch lug each flight to aid in ease off the pad.
Every little bit helps.
I hope this was helpful.

That's what I thought. Not necessarily what I wanted to hear, but I think that I will stick to the instructions on this one.

I like the idea of using graphite powder inside the launch lug. I know I have some laying around here somewhere.

Actually if your using a single launch lug. It should be positioned with at least 2/3rds of the lug ahead of the loaded CG. to helps the model not attempt to pivot around the CG as it raises on the rod.

If using two lugs one should have it's aft end near the CG. the other can be placed anywhere most bury it in a fin fillet usually toward the leading edge.

466-e4_Little Joe-II wire Launch Lugs_03-01-07.JPG

Launch Lug Options_72nd F100 PMC .020in wire embedded Lugs_.jpg

472p07e-sm_both Launch lugs attached_01-13-08.JPG

475p1-sm_Nike-X Construction Complete_01-22-08.JPG

003d-p02-sm_Goblin Body painted Orange_02-01-07.JPG

I'm sure people have put launch lugs all over the place, and mostly gotten away with it. Many of the old rocketeers would put the launch lug against one of the fins, which puts it pretty far behind the CG. The launch lug is there to keep the rocket going in a straight line and not rotating before it reaches a stable speed. I think at the CG location is good, or closer to the engines is good, but far ahead of the CG is probably not good. It is also important to glue the launch lug on securely. It won't do much good if it tears off partway up the rod which is what I saw happen with an Estes Python one time.

Che,

If you want to reduce the visual impact you might consider a small wire loop.

This kinda gets into the craftsmanship skills that used to be common in model airplane building. You can find lots of tools designed for bending music wire, and you can make little loops with that stuff by bending/wrapping small music wire around a 5/32 or 3/16 rod, this will make a loop big enough to pass over a 1/8th launch rod. Take a close look at that first picture that Micromeister posted and you will see some tiny loops--those are his launch lugs. You will need to use two or three of these (aligned carefully!) along the length of the rocket for this to work, and this technique will be limited to low-power models.

Another idea would be to use small screw eyes (already formed into loops) but this requires you to plan ahead and build some tiny wooden blocks into the insides of your rocket (in the right places) so you can later add the screw eyes.

More than one way to skin a cat?

I already placed the launch lug and am fine with it. But hey, if you want to skin a cat; my wife has three that I'm not terribly fond of... hehehehehe, just kidding..., well kinda.

Back