Flis Kits BuckShot & Micro Onyx

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KHamel

Reaction score
Finished up a couple of more MMX rockets. The Flis Kits BuckShot and a Micro Onyx based on the Loc Onyx midpower kit.

The BuckShot was a nice easy build, it would be a great first kit for any one building their first Micro Maxx rocket. It is not too small and the laser cut fins make it an easy build, as always the J Flis parts are top notch. It is painted with Rusto Painters Touch Gloss Back, Apple Red and Valspar Bumblee Yellow. It weighs in at 5 grams empty.

The Micro Onyx is BT5 based, I used a J Flis nose cone and some scrap BT5 I had. The fins are 1/32 ply. Painted with Rusto Painters Touch Gloss Back and Apple Red. It weighs 3 grams empty, I think this will really scoot.

Thanks for Looking.

P8120144.jpg

P8120146.jpg

P8120148.jpg

P8120149.jpg

Very nicely done on both counts.
Since both are BT-5 based should be possible to catch some liftoff or in fight shots, Will look forward to seeing what you get.

Nicely finished, both of them. I'm trying to figure out the balance between balsa filler and performance. My two existing micros don't have much filling done, so the grain is fairly obvious. Look forward to flight reports!

Nicely finished, both of them. I'm trying to figure out the balance between balsa filler and performance. My two existing micros don't have much filling done, so the grain is fairly obvious. Look forward to flight reports!

It gets to a point that it sometimes feels like no further comments need be made, as apparently all previous experimentation, flight performance observation and building are regarded as non-valid work.... but i'll go ahead and mention a few conclusions drawn from 200 Plus Various dia & sized models and a bit over 900 MMX flights for those who might be interested.

Balsa filler, and primers of all types are MENT to be sanded almost completely off anyway so there should only be a MINIMAL amount of excess mass added no matter how many initial coats of material are applied. our base white or color coat should be the final "filling" if you will. Does Balsa Filler, Fill n finish or aerosol (Rattlecan) Primers add mass to the bare model.. sure but not enough to really adversely effect the flight unless we are really not doing the sanding job that should be;)
We add much more mass with multi color, many coat paint jobs then should ever be added by just our fillers/primers.
Remember we are just trying to stay within 8-12 grams total empty weight for good performance.
Frontal area is also a key factor. Which is why BT-5 Size models are on the outer limits for single motor models. All that extra mass and area just don't lend themselves to good altitude with single motor micros.

Hope this helps a little.

Last edited:
I used both filler (Elmers) and primer and yes I sanded most of it off. I will try to get photos of the lift offs when I get a chance launch.

Thanks

Looking good! It's nice to see our newest micro getting out to the field. It's a beaut and I love flying mine :)

Back