Rocket Workshop Gallery

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Heres mine after a nice launch...

The pic is more bout the rockets then the work space though....

rockets+cousins 026.jpg

Dang, my dad continually gets mad at me for all of the launch rods laying around. Also, I have balsa, plexiglass, half-finished rockets, drills, clamps, drill bits, wood, fully built rockets, saw,\ (he wasn't too thrilled about that one), and just clutter in general. Also, @John Brohm, I have a proof that your workshop is Photoshop'd. Your space is so clean that you can walk 2 inches without killing yourself. Therefore, your photo is fake.

... Also, @John Brohm, I have a proof that your workshop is Photoshop'd. Your space is so clean that you can walk 2 inches without killing yourself. Therefore, your photo is fake.

Nice to see this thread active again. And particularly great to see all the shops out there. I think the variety shows that the ideal shop is highly individual-specific, but I'll bet that they all share at least one attribute and that's being a space where each of us can find comfort, and one that allows us to relax and enjoy this great hobby. Apparently we each find comfort in different ways!

I do wish to dispel the speculation that rockets don't actually get built in my shop. They do, just not at the rate I'd like. Like most of us, I'm sure, real life seems to get in the way. Nevertheless, occasionally something does manage to migrate from the shop to the display cabinet, and more recently the items below appeared. I must admit, though, that I've yet to paint the fin checkers on the Astron Mark - on the "still to do list", it seems.

Great thread, and I hope we can extend the privilege of vicariously visiting the various rocket shops around the country.

:eek: I don't... really... have a... workshop. I sort of... bring stuff out... to the... dining... room... table. Okay, there you have it... I bring my rocket stuff to the dining room table to work.
I don't have a workshop either. I'm currently building 10 (soon to be 9, hopefully) low- and mid-power rockets on a card table less than 3 feet on a side! :y:
The dining table does occasionally get invaded...
I'm not sure you guys would want to see pics of it as is; it hasn't been organized in a while. It might permanently scar you. :dark:

Naw, we wouldn't be scarred. The sight of mine might blind you though.

I moved and got a new workshop.
This one is in the old green house.
Hot as hell in here, in mid summer (AKA now) I'll be in the shop for 3 minutes before i begin to sweat. I guess I'm just preparing my body for hellfire.
It's hard to mix large amounts of epoxy because it "kicks" really easily in here. I always have a cold cup of water handy.
Looks pretty though and once the sun goes down it actually drops below 90F!
I'm not going to mention the spiders though. :p

IMG_5240.jpg

IMG_5241.jpg

IMG_5243.jpg

Alex

Get a window A/C unit.

I moved and got a new workshop.
This one is in the old green house.
Hot as hell in here, in mid summer (AKA now) I'll be in the shop for 3 minutes before i begin to sweat. I guess I'm just preparing my body for hellfire.
It's hard to mix large amounts of epoxy because it "kicks" really easily in here. I always have a cold cup of water handy.
Looks pretty though and once the sun goes down it actually drops below 90F!
I'm not going to mention the spiders though. :p

View attachment 89506

View attachment 89507

View attachment 89508

Alex

My tiny sliver of workshop is visible in the "Show us your desk" thread. It is a small table sandwiched between my desk and the stacks of boxes that will eventually be moved to my new home when construction is completed.

attachment.php

The rest of these pics are in my daughters old bedroom where the bench is now. #5 is a parts bin and the left side of the bench. #6 is a front view of the bench. (who said it had to be neat????) #7 is the right of the bench where there's a hanging Dremel and asst hand tools. The storage bin is for body tubes, vinyl's and more hand tools. #8 is the bottom of the closet where there are boxes of bulk balsa blocks, a bench grinder, and various other goodies not shown. I couldn't get a great shot of this because the guest bed is in the way.

5.JPG

6.JPG

7.JPG

8.JPG

#9 Top shelf where there's a little tube hoarding going on and some rolled vinyl stripe stock. Second shelf for various chems, nose cone and coupler storage boxes. #10 is the said guest bed and it's pretty much a catch all area. #11 is the lathe booth. I have it surrounded with a polyethylene drape of sorts for dust control. # 12 is the rest of the table shared with the lathe booth for my tube cutting jig (far left) and some misc stuff that doesn't have a home yet.

And there you have it. Another "King of Klutter."

9.JPG

10.jpg

11.JPG

12.JPG

Last edited:
ok i had to chime in with garage pics,table saw,band saw,lathe,disc and belt sander+ lots of dustP2030840.jpgfurther back drill press and comp P2030841.jpghidden in back rockets ,body tubes,and other assorted rocket stuff,P2030845.jpgP2030846.jpgmy wife has 10 sq ft of my garage and thats it.have lots of upscales hidden all over 3 in orbital transport, 4 in boosted wac corporal,4 in estes Blackbird and many others YES its messy but it my mess I think of it as therapy :shock:

ok i had to chime in with garage pics,table saw,band saw,lathe,disc and belt sander+ lots of dust further back drill press and comp hidden in back rockets ,body tubes,and other assorted rocket stuff,my wife has 10 sq ft of my garage and thats it.have lots of upscales hidden all over 3 in orbital transport, 4 in boosted wac corporal,4 in estes Blackbird and many others YES its messy but it my mess I think of it as therapy :shock:

Dood! I thought I was a king! Now I see I'm only a Squire! You got my daddy on concentrated clutter! LAWD!

LOL!!! Such First World problems... :)
Yeah Gary, I think you rule. :y:
Tho oddmanrockets is doing alright for himself as well!

LOL!!! Such First World problems... :)
Yeah Gary, I think you rule. :y:
Tho oddmanrockets is doing alright for himself as well!

It's a little hard for me to maneuver around in there because I have so much crap in the way. I should have taken a pic of the floor. I have to tippy toe where ever I go in there. I think oddman has my daddy tho. He has so much going on....I'd be afraid to see the floor.

a clean garage is a sign of a sick mind LOL, as to the floor depends where you walk i glass alot of body tubes and dribbles happen.lots of rockets have come out of this and previous garages ive had the pleasure to work in.you havent even seen all my launch equip.i also have a 20 ft radio tower thats flown several P motors and rockets over 400 lbs.we fly some awesome stuff at Plaster Blaster.Im getting my controllers ready for a boy scout troop to use next month to get their rocketry badges:cool:

We moved into a new house a few months ago (on Nellis AFB to another on base house), but our old house had a wonderful workbench built it. The new one did not. Uh oh. I've never built anything substantial, certainly no furniture or anything resembling productive workworking. I have always wanted to learn more, but...a lot of you know how it goes. So, I went in search of a new workbench.

While there are certainly some nice offerings commercially, I kind of wanted to finally 'make' a workbench. Either through a link here or through some other searches, I found "2x4 Basics Workbench" on Amazon for $69 and ordered it. Of course, that necessitated the purchase of a 10" compound sliding mitre saw too ($79 on sale at Harbor Freight). The 'kit' arrived today and off to Lowes I went. With $91 of 2x4s, particleboard and MDF tops, I was ready to go.

Assembly actually went quick. Say an hour and a half? All it took was cutting the 2x4s to length with the new mitre saw and then screwing it all together. The instructions say each shelf can hold 1000 lbs, and while I am not eager to test this, this thing is as solid as a brick sh!thouse, if you know what I mean. I can sit on the top fully without any bowing or movement whatsoever. For those of you that may buy one of these as well, while pilot holes are not required, I went through a few phillips drill bits screwing in the 3" #10 screws. If I were to to it again (and I may), I'll drill pilot holes.

All in all, I am pleased as heck with my new workbench! Now onto the shelving, pegboard back, under shelf lighting and power outlets for the new bench!

20130614-_6140069.jpg

20130614-_6140072.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
We moved into a new house a few months ago (on Nellis AFB to another on base house), but our old house had a wonderful workbench built it. The new one did not. Uh oh. I've never built anything substantial, certainly no furniture or anything resembling productive workworking. I have always wanted to learn more, but...a lot of you know how it goes. So, I went in search of a new workbench.

While there are certainly some nice offerings commercially, I kind of wanted to finally 'make' a workbench. Either through a link here or through some other searches, I found "2x4 Basics Workbench" on Amazon for $69 and ordered it. Of course, that necessitated the purchase of a 10" compound sliding mitre saw too ($79 on sale at Harbor Freight). The 'kit' arrived today and off to Lowes I went. With $91 of 2x4s, particleboard and MDF tops, I was ready to go.

Assembly actually went quick. Say an hour and a half? All it took was cutting the 2x4s to length with the new mitre saw and then screwing it all together. The instructions say each shelf can hold 1000 lbs, and while I am not eager to test this, this thing is as solid as a brick sh!thouse, if you know what I mean. I can sit on the top fully without any bowing or movement whatsoever. For those of you that may buy one of these as well, while pilot holes are not required, I went through a few phillips drill bits screwing in the 3" #10 screws. If I were to to it again (and I may), I'll drill pilot holes.

All in all, I am pleased as heck with my new workbench! Now onto the shelving, pegboard back, under shelf lighting and power outlets for the new bench!

Great looking workbench! Looks like you could park a car on top of it! Just a suggestion, since you seem to like to buy tools (like I do). Look into a cordless impact driver. They are amazing at driving screws! I used one on a very stout aquarium stand I built a few years ago, and it's definitely the way to go. No pilot holes needed, even for 3" screws. Just be sure to get an impact rated Phillips bit for it.

The "Corner Office" for home projects in the garage is slowly morphing into "Rocket Central." The rack on top is mostly 70's era Centuri and Estes models that have come out of storage to be refurbished (if possible) and flown using the latest technology.
Workshop TRF.jpg

My father built a bench with this exact method of construction. To date it held a complete finished Oldsmobile 455 big block V8 and it didn't even creak once.

Your bench can handle the weight. Trust me on this one.

I am a bit envious of all these work areas. I live in a small apartment with no room for anything, yet I am into many hobbies that take up even more space. Then add a cat into the mix that loves to chew on everything so I have to keep my tools and rockets put away. Arg.

But viewing this thread gave me ideas for my workshop when I get a house.

I'd show you my workshop, but it's my living room/dining room area. :D I keep all my rocketry tools in a toolbox, and have a pile of Semroc boxes full of parts and two totes full of kits. I use the totes to limit my buying... if I know I don't have room in a tote, I don't buy.

Back