Rocket Workshop Gallery

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It has been a couple of years since I did post #39 above

Now I am settled into my new house and have a functional workshop.

14427736088_752181ff8b.jpg

Part 2

My workshop is literally underground. The floor and the back wall are the floor and back wall of the house foundation

And since there is no natural light, the walls, ceiling and cabinets are whitewhitewhite.

The room is divided into 3 zones: the "working end"; the "storage end", and the paint room.

Here is an overall shot of the "working end"
14611137811_aab7207095_b.jpg

In addition to the workbench, I have 2 other tables on that end. One is a "staging" area where I keep the ongoing project materials handy. The other is a place for models and/or sub-assemblies to dry without cluttering up my work area.
14634319943_0365d0c5cf.jpg
14427763449_d3be92243a.jpg

On the opposite end of the room, away from most of the dust, is storage.

14612277904_cfc1ffb1b9_b.jpg

Here you can see access to the paint room through a pocket door. The room is vented to the outside and will eventually have a paint booth. Right now it has a cabinet for storage of paint supplies, a shop sink, dehumidifier, and a dorm fridge.

If you look at the photo above, you can see a plastic tub on top of the cabinet. That is one of 4 tubs full of built rockets in various stages of disrepair (after all, they were in storage for 15 years and moved 3 times!!) As they get repaired, the go either up on the high shelf or on top of the cabinets.

From this perspective, there are 2 storage cabinets to the right, and a single cabinet with a corner unit to the left. The cabinets on the right are for storage of building materials and range supplies.

The cabinets on the left are for storage of the models that are too large to sit up on top.

14611134281_48b1ddea4b.jpg

Right now, that corner cabinet contains the boneyard models that won't fit in those plastic tubs.

Part 4

The cabinets are actually IKEA closet systems.

Here is the inside view of my supplies cabinet
14634319413_fb681dc2a3_b.jpg

And here is a view of my flight-ready larger birds.
14591334236_df9989ecd8_b.jpg

For work that involves paint or sealer, I use the garage desk. The location is also pretty much kid-proof, and there are plenty of great storage niches.

During those times when the humidity becomes unbearable, I do as much as I can inside on the study desk. Got it from Hobby Lobby for Christmas last year. Great size - compact, but the swing-down front provides ample space. The fleet is kept safe and high on top of the bookshelf to the right.

No real workshop
I build on the family room floor while watching TV
The wife always wants me to clean up each night (doesn't always happen - sometimes something is drying and I can't disturb it)
workfloor.jpg

I use some totes to store the parts in when I have to put things away at night
tub.jpg

My one area has my tools, kits, and finished rockets
pana1.jpg pana2.jpg

Back