Rocket Workshop Gallery

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aksrockets

Now with 8% more aluminum
Reaction score
Post pics of where you build your rockets.
Mine Used to be in my bedroom but it sucked trying to sleep with the smell of epoxy or f-glass drying so I moved everything out to the "office"
:SHIELD YOUR EYES, CLEAN FREAKS:
IMG_2617.jpg

IMG_2619.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I live in an apartment and have to use my dining room. Actually, I do a lot more work there than eating!

I took this photo for another discussion group. I was doing both electronics and rocketry work at the time.

5846608341_18e0e700ba_z.jpg

A. Plywood plank for soldering.

B. (Blue tub) Modeling supplies.

C. Tub with parts for electronic project (E below).

D. Badger rocket

E. An electronics project, the Mystic Lantern. It came out pretty good.

F. Satchel with miscellaneous non-modeling tools.

Egg crate in the lower right is where my electronic projects live. I keep it on a shelf when not in use. (In fact, everything here goes on a shelf in my storage area when I'm not actually doing a project.)

You can see the Guenevere and a Zenith II on the table in the background. That table is where I photograph things . . . I put gray foamcore the table and up in back. There are some boards for Guillow's-type model airplanes in back of that. (Just dabbling.)

Here's my space.

John

That's not a shop... thats a museum! :y::y: There is NO dust there? Impossible. Nothing's ever been built there... no way. No glue on the floor... cob webs... ya can't build without spiders... I'm not buying it... that's a photoshop'd picture...

:):):D:D:D:D

Starting from the door and then turning left around the room.

Entry Door - Enty door with shelf above that has two boxes of Wizard bulk packs I build for club membership drive promotions. From here we turn slightly to the left.

L1 - Picture with a foldout table I take when I go to the Manchester, TN field. Next to that is some plywood for fins and a box of larger body tubes and wood dowels.

L2 - Closet door where there are a couple of metal toolboxes stored that have HPR motor casings and a few reloads. Next to the door is my metal square and aluminum angle to mark lines on body tubes. Above that is a shelf with an incomplete LOC Magnum.

L3 - Leaning against the door is the hinged post I clamp to the back of the truck for the weather center I take out to launches. T the left is my very cluttered work table. It's been a bit busy at work for the past few weeks so I haven't cleared it off to continue work on the stratos model.

L4 - Here's a couple of plastic shelving units. On the shorter one I have boxes for sandpaper assortment, parts, tools, electronics, parachutes, LP engines, and assorted glues, plus West System epoxy. The taller unit has a Saturn V kit, some boardgames, my and brother's laptops, (behind the white poster board) there is a box with scale and NARAM CDs, and rocketry books.

Continuing..............

L5 - On the top shelf there is my level one and level two rockets plus a 1/3 scale of my level three rocket to determine the drag of a ring tail design. Below that is an old computer I use to play music CD's while building.

L6 - Next to the computer desk there is a scroll saw, a skil table, a step stool and the disassembled sawhorse I use to launch MPR and LPR.

L7 - Shelving uint with a couple of cat caddies, an old toaster oven that I might someday use to heat plastic for vacuum forming, radio and some non-rocket stuff.

L8 - My brother's table. It's not gotten as cluttered as mine since he has worked on his rockets within the past three weeks.

L9 - Another plastic shelving unit with cans of paint and primer, Steve's rangebox, hundreds of feet of recovery harness, and some misc. stuff. I plan to build a 7.8" diameter rocket with a sci-fi motif to launch the Vulcan teddy bear in but I haven't found a clear plastic canopy material to use for the cockpit yet. Admittedly I haven't been looking very hard either.

I'm horizontal surface challenged. I pretty much fill up any flat surface with junk. So I build rockets wherever I can. The two main places are my dining table and a small table I have in my computer room. I also do some things on my workbench. With all my mess and clutter, it's amazing to me I can build the rockets I do.

table1.jpg

table2.jpg

workbench1.jpg

workbench2.jpg

And here are the major power tools I use for rocket building.

bandsaw.jpg

drill_press.jpg

lathe.jpg

sander1.jpg

sander2.jpg

Here`s a few of the worshop/woodshop and my clean room /assembly room/zombie preparedness room (I`m always ready for ZOMBIES) ;)

Most of these were in the old "mancave" thread.

Paul T

php71cOASAM.jpg

phpZLifYsAM.jpg

phptccJGPAM.jpg

phpuSQFnKAM.jpg

php9m1ayyAM.jpg

:eek: I don't... really... have a... workshop. I sort of... bring stuff out... to the... dining... room... table. Okay, there you have it... I bring my rocket stuff to the dining room table to work.

Paul I did a search on Workshop and Shop, but restricted it to the Galleries section. And this thread popped up. At the time it had a single post, I figured rather than start a new thread....

Mancave... never did like that term... would never have dawned on me to search for that. Nonetheless I figure things like this are new to some as there are always new people joining up.

That Astrobee-D. Aerotech or your own? I cut some 6mm (1/4") ply fins for a scratch build 60mm (2.6") diameter. I figured I'd skip trying to bevel them. Instead I though I might try painting the illusion of bevels. The only other idea I had was putting balsa laminations on each side covering the non-beveled area and using something to fill the beveled areas. Doing that though makes me wish I'd cut them from something thinner.

Nice Shop! Did you do a build thread on the Delta?

-----------------

Captain! Oh thats a shop! And I bet you know where every is... sort of... :) :lol:

Paul I did a search on Workshop and Shop, but restricted it to the Galleries section. And this thread popped up. At the time it had a single post, I figured rather than start a new thread....

Mancave... never did like that term... would never have dawned on me to search for that. Nonetheless I figure things like this are new to some as there are always new people joining up.

That Astrobee-D. Aerotech or your own? I cut some 6mm (1/4") ply fins for a scratch build 60mm (2.6") diameter. I figured I'd skip trying to bevel them. Instead I though I might try painting the illusion of bevels. The only other idea I had was putting balsa laminations on each side covering the non-beveled area and using something to fill the beveled areas. Doing that though makes me wish I'd cut them from something thinner.

Nice Shop! Did you do a build thread on the Delta?

-----------------

Captain! Oh thats a shop! And I bet you know where every is... sort of... :) :lol:

Yah ,I`m not all that crazy about the "man cave" thing myself ,but it was all i had at the time LOL

The Astrobee D is the AT kit ,but it begs to be upscaled to 4" at least.Indeed ,those fins could be a bugger to shape ,but as you mentioned ,a wood skeleton /frame overskinned with thin plywood ( 1/16 ") would be the answer .........unless you like sanding/shaping :puke:

Not sure what Delta you speak of Jeff ?

Paul T

Here's my space.
John

That's not a shop... thats a museum! :y::y: There is NO dust there? Impossible. Nothing's ever been built there... no way. No glue on the floor... cob webs... ya can't build without spiders... I'm not buying it... that's a photoshop'd picture...

Yeah, those rockets were all pre-made!!!!
;):D

Yeah, I'm jealous. I'm man enough to admit it.

Second rocket to the right of the Maverick. Maybe it's' an Atlas... the one with the strap ons. :)

Get confused... I guess the Atlas vs Delta guys would kill me! :D

Ohhhhhhhh...OK. That`s a Delta -IV Medium 5+4 24mm motor mount w/ 4 break away 18mm SRBs. That`s a great kit ,made by Carl (member here on TRF) of DFR Technologies.I have the whole set that he offers ,pretty much museum pieces these buggers !

Paul T

John Brohm's showpiece workshop is clearly an outlier. Are any rockets ever actually built in that space? :p

A peek in from the door to my new rocket building and storage room. I am still in the process of setting it up. This room will be the permanent location, I hope. Up until now, all of my previous workshops in my house were temporary, subject to eviction at a moment's notice.

DSCF0755-1.JPG

If I ever get a house, it will be to have a garage which I would convert part of into shop space. Not a full blown rocket lair, but a place with a nice big table and a shelf for "project bins."

One thing I didn't show in my picture above is my folding shop table. Black & Decker, I think. Has a table top big enough for any of my small power tools (scroll saw, drill press, belt/disk sander). I drilled holes in it to mount each of these tools. Top and frame fold flat. I keep it in the storage closet off of my apartment balcony. Heavy duty shelves in there hold my tools, paints, bins of projects, etc.

The attachment shows my drill press mounted on it.

hubdrill3_lo.jpg

Rare shot of my shop when it is clean. ;)

All major power tool operations and sanding are done outside.

shop-1.jpg

shop-2.jpg

Here is a panoramic view of the broad array of power tools that I have at my disposal in my workshop. I have a substantial portion of my yearly income (literally tens of dollars) invested in tools here.

Now where is that blasted extension cord?...

Rocket workshop power tools.JPG

Last edited:
I'm horizontal surface challenged. I pretty much fill up any flat surface with junk. So I build rockets wherever I can. The two main places are my dining table and a small table I have in my computer room. I also do some things on my workbench. With all my mess and clutter, it's amazing to me I can build the rockets I do.
With all of my mess and clutter, it's amazing that I can find any of the rockets that I build! :rolleyes:

I agree!

Back