What do I cut piano wire with?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Question for those using snips/cutters of some sort-- what does the cut end look like??

I cut a lot of fence wire (farmer-- ya think? :wink:) and the "mini-bolt cutters" that I use tend to leave a "V" shaped end that is usually razor sharp. Not exactly what you want to have on a launch rod you'll have to handle frequently and that is sticking up in the air... Does music wire cut with snips make the same end?? I know I cut gaucho barb wire and it does it, and it's "spring" steel-- (hardened to SOME degree). Regular 12.5 guage mild steel barb wire cuts much easier despite being significantly thicker, because it's simply galvanized and not as hard as gaucho (not "springy")

The reason I ask is, it sorta goes back to the cutting it with a friction wheel, IE a dremel and cutting wheel. Either that, or filing the end down smooth after cutting with snips...

Makes it safer to handle that way, IMHO...

later! OL JR :)

JR:
Nippers, Hard-wire Cutters and bolt cutters all leave some part of a V'ed end. Most of which are simply touched up with a file, sandpaper or dremel cutting wheel.
I normally round off both ends of my Stainless Launch rods on a vertical belt sander just as a little extra safety measure.
Music wire pieces are generally being used for some other function (Making Antenna Launch Lugs, flexwing springs, helicopter pins and hinges etc) so they are either left with sharp points or dresses square with a needle file.
Cutting them first then finishing off the end has been IMHO a lot quicker then using a cutoff wheel alone.

Some of these photos may be of interest. All have been successfully used on Piano Wire, Hardened Stainless wire, Stainless Leaders and Stainless Avaition Cable with good cutting results and no damage to the jaws.

5in & 10in ViseGrip Wire cutter jaw locking Plier-Lg_04-90.jpg

5in Stainless Leader Wire cutting fishing plier-Lg_08-20-84.jpg

6.25in Hard-Wire .091 End Nippers-Lg_08-01-90.jpg

7in HD adjustable jaw Hard-wire End Nippers-Lg_04-17-95.JPG

10in Hard-Wire.091 End Nippers-Lg_12-12-00.jpg

Last edited:
Picked Up a pair of those HF 8" bolt cutters for 2.99 the other day just for S&G's.
Took them home got out some .091" dia Tempered Stainless steel Music wire and chopped the 12" piece into 1/4" long segments. went in and out on the surface of the blades to see if they would dent, chip or break.
Did a bang up job with absolutely no damage to the cutting blades that I can detect..didn't even scuff up the paint much LOL!
After the first cut I took a couple closeups of the cut ends as they were almost square. Slight V on both sides but cleaned up round with almost no effort.
Decided to try these cutters on some .469" dia. 1 x 19 strand Stainless steel Aircraft Cable. Doesn't cut cable stands all that well or as smoothly but did the job, Again no apparent damage to the cutting blades. Also lopped off the heads of a couple 8-32 Stainless and plated steel machine screws just for good measure.
I'd say this particular pair of 3 dollar cutters was a GREAT investment! Went back and got another pair for the better 2/3rds to use on her Craft-pick hardwire stems.

Thanks for the heads up whoever suggested these fine little tools!

8in Bolt cutter-a_Harbor Freight (2.99)-Lg_08-23-11.jpg

8in Bolt cutter-b_.091in  Hard St.Stl wire cut-Lg_08-23-11.jpg

Last edited:
Man, I was just at Harbor Freight yesterday, and forgot all about the micro bolt cutters. Darn it.

Man, I was just at Harbor Freight yesterday, and forgot all about the micro bolt cutters. Darn it.

Next time you go ya might want to look at their "pittsburgh" 6 piece 5" Plier set as well. The side cutter and end nippers do a fine job on .020" to about .032" hardened music wire. I'm using the end nippers to make Micro Flex-wing frame/strings. The sets other 4 pair aren't that bad either...for the PRICE;)

5in_6pc set-a_Plier(PittsBurgh-Harbor Freight)-Lg_08-23-11.jpg

Flexwing Spring Jig-sm_& springs_09-02-04.jpg

Last edited:
Got my 8" HF mini-bolt cutters yesterday but had to pay $3.99 for them. It seems none of my coupons would work on them. :(

Back