Priming over Duplicolor Sandable Primer

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jms

Reaction score
So I body filled my Super DX 3 with wood filler, and then I used Duplicolor Sandable Primer. Let sit for 24, hit it with 220, wiped with alcohol and laid down another thin coat.

What I noticed is that on some of the BT seams it looks like it's literally pulling the wood filler out of the seam, no big deal, I am not allergic to sanding, but now I'm wondering whether I should lay down a couple coats of either the Perfect Match Primer or their Filler Primer.

I can't find anywhere that says it would be a bad idea, my local autobody supplier said it would totally be fine, but I was curious what y'all thought about this, or if you had run into this problem with filler before.

I can also of course keep laying down the sandable stuff, sanding, rinse, wash repeat until I get it baby smooth...

I use high build primer. just the cheap stuff you get for painting beaters. 25.00 a gallon
2 or 3 coats and all the seams are usually filled. The only problem i get is i also buy the cheap laquor thinner, and sometimes it kicks off early in the heat of the day, and it gets a rough texture.

i usualy do a 4th coat for uniformity, and to "fill" any pits i may have.

i do all my first coats with 120grit wet. then my 4th with 220 then 400.

Primers once they are applied arent usualy incompatable like paint(Technicaly that is toataly incorrect..) but, off the shelf primers, should be fine to mix.

the solvents in the primer probably caused what you experienced.

Yeah, I was eyeing the spot putty last night while buying said primer and I was curious whether it would do a better job of filling the spirals. I'll just sand down the edges, in parts it totally looks ribbed for the clouds pleasure.

So I body filled my Super DX 3 with wood filler, and then I used Duplicolor Sandable Primer. Let sit for 24, hit it with 220, wiped with alcohol and laid down another thin coat.

What I noticed is that on some of the BT seams it looks like it's literally pulling the wood filler out of the seam, no big deal, I am not allergic to sanding, but now I'm wondering whether I should lay down a couple coats of either the Perfect Match Primer or their Filler Primer.

I can't find anywhere that says it would be a bad idea, my local autobody supplier said it would totally be fine, but I was curious what y'all thought about this, or if you had run into this problem with filler before.

I can also of course keep laying down the sandable stuff, sanding, rinse, wash repeat until I get it baby smooth...

Duplicolor makes great HBP's as far as the filler coming out I would probably just use a tacj cloth and avoid anything damp. I could be wrong, but just my two cents worth

For deeper spirals I use either 3m or Bondo spot putty---they are both comparable---even squadron spot putty is fine but takes a bit longer to cure. If the spirals are not too deep I simply use a few coats of HBP. For all intents and purposes single stage spot putty is nothing more than thickened HBP. I'd stay away from the wood putty unless you sand the surface of the BT first so you might get some adhesion. Wood filler also tends to have larger granuals than does auto body spot filler , so tends to not sand out as smooth.

Thanks guys. I'll remember the tips next time!

Back