SCALE - Nike Ajax (MIM-3) Gallery

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Addicted

Reaction score
It's done,not pretty but it should work.I'm going to build it again now that i have a better idea of how build a rocket.Just waiting for the Mantis launch pad to show up,then i can send it up!

Latestrocket001.jpg

Post copied to gallery with permission

Last edited by a moderator:
BEAUTIFUL !!!

I have the same kit to build and a real one in the Museum just down the street.........

Glasspack

Here's mine, scratch-built and based on one I saw at the Luftwaffemuseum, Berlin-Gatow. It's stable, but heavy. And the only reason the booster survived is that our flying site is marshy. :)

nikeajax.jpg

Here's mine, scratch-built and based on one I saw at the Luftwaffemuseum, Berlin-Gatow. It's stable, but heavy. And the only reason the booster survived is that our flying site is marshy. :)

Very nice ! Can you tell me how big it is and what it flies on ?

I must get mine built ,as it`s great looking missile.

Paul T

Ready to go on (3) E9s

Nike Ajax small.jpg

Here's mine.

Peanut scale, The pair are 1/12th scale and the last two are the Launch Pad kit.

smallnikeajax.JPG

Nike Ajax.JPG

onpadwpershing.JPG

nikeboost.JPG

Here's mine.

Peanut scale, The pair are 1/12th scale and the last two are the Launch Pad kit.

Are those in the first 2 pics ones you kitted?

I remember building the Estes version as a kid. It was one of the last I built and I never did get to fly it.:mad:

Are those in the first 2 pics ones you kitted?

I remember building the Estes version as a kid. It was one of the last I built and I never did get to fly it.:mad:

Yep, long OOP.

The bigger ones are the same scale as my bigger Nike Hercules and the smaller ones are the same scale as my 4 x 13mm Nike Hercules.

As a small side note on the Launch Pad version I built. It flew great on the launch photo I posted. I build light and I got some great altitude on a three motor cluster.

It wasn't until I went to launch it the next time that I discovered only 2 motors had lit!:y: If you look really close at the boost pic you only see two flames.

So, I basically got an extra motor out of it!;)

Last edited:
Yep, long OOP.

The bigger ones are the same scale as my bigger Nike Hercules and the smaller ones are the same scale as my 4 x 13mm Nike Hercules.

As a small side note on the Launch Pad version I built. It flew great on the launch photo I posted. I build light and I got some great altitude on a three motor cluster.

It wasn't until I went to launch it the next time that I discovered only 2 motors had lit!:y: If you look really close at the boost pic you only see two flames.

So, I basically got an extra motor out of it!;)

So the smaller one is 3x13mm and the larger ones are 3x18?

So the smaller one is 3x13mm and the larger ones are 3x18?

I must have written that wrong.

The Launch Pad kit is 3 x 24mm.

The tiny one is a singe 13mm and the middle two are single 18mm.

The two middle size ones have a BT-55 booster base but the upper section is only a BT-20. I could have put a single 24mm motor in it but I was a bit concerned about the shotgun ejection charges that some of the Estes D12's have.

I thought maybe with an overenthusiastic ejection charge, the BT-20 may be a bit too restrictive and blown the model in half so I stuck with an 18mm motor mount.

That would be bad.

I must have written that wrong.

The Launch Pad kit is 3 x 24mm.

The tiny one is a singe 13mm and the middle two are single 18mm.

The two middle size ones have a BT-55 booster base but the upper section is only a BT-20. I could have put a single 24mm motor in it but I was a bit concerned about the shotgun ejection charges that some of the Estes D12's have.

I thought maybe with an overenthusiastic ejection charge, the BT-20 may be a bit too restrictive and blown the model in half so I stuck with an 18mm motor mount.

That would be bad.

Now I have the data I need...assuming I ever get done wading through "Estes".

Welcome to the SCALE Nike Ajax (MIM-3) Gallery on TRF.

This gallery showcases the Nike Ajax (MIM-3) and those rockets derived from it. Particularly appropriate in this thread are the following:

Estes: Nike Ajax: #1279
Roachwerks: Nike Ajax (13mm):
Roachwerks: Nike Ajax (18mm):
The Launch Pad: Nike Ajax MIM-3A: K060

as well as any upscales, downscales, clones, kitbashes or other derivative works. Even Goonies qualify!

The first successful Nike test was during November 1951, intercepting a drone B-17 Flying Fortress. The first type, Nike Ajax (MIM-3), were deployed starting in 1953. The Army initially ordered 1,000 missiles and 60 sets of equipment. They were placed to protect strategic and tactical sites within the US. As a last-line of defense from air attack, they were positioned to protect cities as well as military installations. The missile was deployed first at Fort Meade, Maryland during December, 1953. A further 240 launch sites were built up to 1962. They replaced 896 radar-guided anti-aircraft guns, operated by the National Guard or Army to protect certain key sites. This left a handful of 75 mm Skysweeper emplacements as the only anti-aircraft artillery remaining in use by the US. By 1957 the Regular Army AAA units had been replaced by missile battalions. During 1958 the Army National Guard began to replace their guns and adopt the Ajax system.

Each launch site had three parts, separated by at least 1,000 yards (914 m). One part (designated C) of about six acres (24,000 m²) contained the IFC (Integrated Fire Control) radar systems to detect incoming targets (acquisition and target tracking) and direct the missiles (missile tracking), along with the computer systems to plot and direct the intercept. The second part (designated L), around forty acres (160,000 m²), held 1-3 underground missile magazines each serving a group of four launch assemblies and included a safety zone. The site had a crew of 109 officers and men who ran the site continuously. One launcher would be on 15 minutes alert, two on 30 minutes and one on two hour alert. The third part was the administrative area (designated A), which was usually co-located with the IFC and contained the battery headquarters, barracks, mess, recreation hall, and motor pool. The actual configuration of the Nike sites differed depending on geography. Whenever possible the sites were placed on existing military bases or National Guard armories; otherwise land had to be purchased.

The Nike batteries were organized in Defense Areas and placed around population centers and strategic locations such as long-range bomber bases, nuclear plants, and (later) ICBM sites. The Nike sites in a Defense Area formed a circle around these cities and bases. There was no fixed number of Nike batteries in a Defense Area and the actual number of batteries varied from a low of two in the Barksdale AFB Defense Area to a high of 22 in the Chicago Defense Area. In the Continental United States the sites were numbered from 01 to 99 starting at the north and increasing clockwise. The numbers had no relation to actual compass headings, but generally Nike sites numbered 01 to 25 were to the northeast and east, those numbered 26 to 50 were to the southeast and south, those numbered 51 to 75 were to the southwest and west, and those numbered 76 to 99 were to the northwest and north. The Defense Areas in the Continental United States were identified by a one- or two-letter code which were related to the city name. Thus those Nike sites starting with C were in the Chicago Defense Area, those starting with HM were in the Homestead AFB/Miami Defense Area, those starting with NY were in the New York Defense Area, and so forth. As an example Nike Site SF-88L refers to the launcher area of the battery located in the northwestern part of the San Francisco Defense Area.

During the early-to-mid 1960s the Nike Ajax batteries were upgraded to the Hercules system. The new missiles had greater range and destructive power, so about half as many batteries provided the same defensive capability. Regular Army batteries were either upgraded to the Hercules system or decommissioned. Army National Guard units continued to use the Ajax system until 1964, when they too upgraded to Hercules. Eventually, the Regular Army units were replaced by the National Guard as a cost-saving measure, since the Guard units could return to their homes when off duty.

Last edited:
Estes Nike Ajax (#1279) Basic Information.

estes.gif
Estes Industries

MODEL NAME: Nike Ajax Also known as:

NUMBER: #1279

Introduced: 1976
Final Year: 1981
Designer: Wayne Kellner

Type: Scale
Motor Mount: 1x18mm
Recovery: Parachute
Stages: 1
Length: 31.25"
Diameter: 1.325"
Span:
Weight: 2.6 oz

Mfg. Description: The first supersonic antiaircraft missile, the Nike Ajax, was developed to defend large cities and industrial complexes against enemy bomber attack. Actual vehicle has a range of 30 to 50 miles and an effective altitude capability of approximately 60,000 feet at a speed of more than 1500 miles per hour. Real vehicle is boosted by a solid propellant rocket which drops away at a predetermined height as a sustaining liquid propellant motor kicks in. Our 12.4:1 semi scale model comes complete with authentic U.S. Army decor and realistic detailing. Kit includes 18" parachute recovery, die cut balsa parts and a quick release engine mount. (Estes 1976 Catalog)

Advertising Liveries

estes-nike%20ajax%201279-1976%20cat%20livery.jpg
Estes 1976 Catalog
estes-nike%20ajax%201279-1977%20cat%20livery.jpg
Estes 1977 Catalog
estes-nike%20ajax%201279-1978%20cat%20livery.jpg
Estes 1978 Catalog

estes-nike%20ajax%201279-1979%20cat%20livery.jpg
Estes 1979 Catalog
estes-nike%20ajax%201279-1980%20cat%20livery.jpg
Estes 1980 Catalog

Face Card(s)

Instruction Header(s)

estes-nike%20ajax%201279-instr.jpg

First post in this thread featuring this rocket.

See Also: LINKS
EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

If you have any additional information on this rocket and/or catalog photos please let us know.

Last edited:
Roachwerks Nike Ajax (13mm) Basic Information.

roachwerks.gif
Roachwerks

MODEL NAME: Nike Ajax (13mm) Also known as:

NUMBER:

Introduced:
Final Year:
Designer: Gordon Agnello

Motor Mount: 1x13mm
Length:
Diameter:
Span:
Weight:

Mfg. Description: DESC

Advertising Liveries

Face Card(s)

Instruction Header(s)

EMRR
RocketReviews
]Mfg. Page

If you have any additional information on this rocket and/or catalog photos please let us know.

Last edited:
Roachwerks Nike Ajax (18mm) Basic Information.

roachwerks.gif
Roachwerks

MODEL NAME: Nike Ajax (18mm) Also known as:

NUMBER:

Introduced:
Final Year:
Designer: Gordon Agnello

Motor Mount: 1x18mm
Length:
Diameter:
Span:
Weight:

Mfg. Description: DESC

Advertising Liveries

Face Card(s)

Instruction Header(s)

EMRR
RocketReviews
]Mfg. Page

Last edited:
The Launch Pad Nike Ajax MIM-3A (K060) Basic Information.

launchpad.gif
The Launch Pad

MODEL NAME: Nike Ajax MIM-3A Also known as:

NUMBER: K060

Introduced:
Final Year:
Designer:

Type: Scale, Cluster
Motor Mount: 3x24mm
Length: 55.5"
Diameter: 2.6"
Span:
Weight:

Mfg. Description: In 1953, Nike Ajax was the first guided SAM system in the world to enter operational service. The guidance hardware was derived directly from that used to aim radar-controlled anti-aircraft artillery guns towards the end of WWII. The system used two separate radars; one to track the target and another to track the missile. A computer intersected the two beams at a predicted future point and, when the missile was just below the nose of the target, a pulsed code was sent to explode the fragmentation warheads. Nike Ajax contained not one, but three warheads, weighing 12, 179, and 122 pounds, respectively. Burnout speed was Mach 2.3, well above that of any attack aircraft of the time. It had a range of 25 miles. Although ambitious for its day, it was quickly outdated, and was soon replaced by Nike Hercules.

This is the first kit The Launch Pad has offered using a three motor (24mm) cluster. It stands 55.5" tall (1/7.5 scale), and is recovered by two 18"x30" parachutes. Despite its size, this rocket can still be fired from a three foot long, 3/16" diameter launch rod. Calm winds and a 12 volt launch system for clustered ignition are recommended. (TLP 2012 Web Ad)

Advertising Liveries

launch%20pad-nike%20ajax%20k060-2012%20web.jpg
2012 Web Ad

Face Card(s)

launch%20pad-nike%20ajax%20k060-face%201.jpg
launch%20pad-nike%20ajax%20k060-face%202.jpg

Instruction Header(s)

EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

Last edited:
Back