Optimum Coast Time for Delayed Staging . . .

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ez2cDave

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Is there a program that can determine the optimum coast time for maximum altitude on a rocket using delayed staging, assuming that it is at optimum weight ?

Dave

If you use rocksim, you can just change the delay to second stage from 0 after first burnout to when the curve starts going down, but i don't think there's any inexpensive program that can conduct optimization tests of this nature.

Is there a program that can determine the optimum coast time for maximum altitude on a rocket using delayed staging, assuming that it is at optimum weight ?

Dave

I have a program, 2DQD2.xls, that does a 2-D simulation and can find optimal staging delay using the Excel solver. I have to convert it to run on Office 2007 and 2010. Short conversion, but it requires a round tuit, and I have only square ones just now.

It is necessary to do at least a 2-D simulation for this application, because you have to check behavior at angles around the expected one. The penalty for not doing so is the risk of serious prangs.

There is the rocket tiltometer, which does all this in flight. It's pricey. (I hope and trust it's evolving into a full 6-DOF flight computer)

-LarryC

Back