SCRATCH - nFNC Gallery (Fins and a Nosecone)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bandman444

Reaction score
6 fins and a nosecone on this beast.

All Pml parts, and is unglassed phenolic. The 6 fins a 1/8" G10 cut by Ben Ullman (Big Thanks).

As the name says "Size Matters". The provocative name came from a friend and wanted to make this rocket as, um, geeky as me!

Everything is labeled, from the nose cone size, to the Cp, Weight, MMT size, parachute size.

Decals are by Mark at StickerShock23

Its maiden flight was NSL 2011 on K550W to about 2900' (She weights about 21pounds)

With dual redundant altimeters, a Missleworks RRC2 and a Perfectflight MAWD. She flies single deploy.

Uses a 120" Topflight parachute to bring her down at 14fps.

She will fly again at ROC's ROCtober weekend on a K700W and possibly a Pro75 3G L851White at XPRS.

Hopefully sometime in the next couple years (After I get L3) I'd like to see on a AT M650 or CTI M840 (Can you tell I like Longburns and White propellents)

If you want you could check out my Build thread and if you have some questions, post them there. I love getting feedback on my builds especially scratch designs.

Thanks guys for looking!

Bryce

Attachments

• Size Matters K550.jpg
    Size Matters K550.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 66
  • 243119_1749208663687_1642961940_1730850_2452772_o.jpg
    243119_1749208663687_1642961940_1730850_2452772_o.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:
I checked out your build thread. The pic comparing the two motor sizes is cool. I enjoy seeing pics like that posted. The reason being is, when I tell people about being a rocketeer, there are times I get "oh ya ya " I did that when I was a kid. I tell them that they dont get it with all the new stuff out there and now the HPRs.Then I show them a pic like yours and thier view of rocketry changes in a hurry.:y:

My favorite scratch build so far is my Slipstream. 79" tall and 3" in diameter. Three upswept fins. There was some concern by the LCO at its first launch about whether or not the fins would stay on. They did, and I've flown it several times now with no problems. I love it on G53 FastJack reloads. It's a great flier!

IMGP8290edit.jpg

IMGP8295.JPG

IMGP8297.JPG

IMGP8301edit.jpg

IMGP8307edit.jpg

One of my fun scratch builds. The Redneck is BT-80 and a little over 5ft tall. My one and only camoflage paint job. So far I haven't had any trouble finding it. My later scratch builds all break in the middle and have zipperless designs. Redneck did suffer a minor zipper on its last flight.

lunar_launch_050110_105.JPG

lunar_launch_050110_144.jpg

redneck2.jpg

redneck3.jpg

redneck_zipper1.jpg

My first scratch build as a BAR was my 2x24mm cluster Double Pumper. 3" diameter and 31" tall. It flies great on two E9-6's!

Image00192.jpg

Image00201edit.jpg

lunar_launch_050110_031.jpg

lunar_launch_050110_033.jpg

lunar_launch_050110_050.jpg

My first scratch build with a transition, the Step It Up. 3" transitioning to 2.2", and 77" tall.

That`s a great looking rocket you have there sir ! I bought a plasic/poly LOC transition years ago and never used it, perhaps I should do something about that.

Very nice.

Paul T

That`s a great looking rocket you have there sir ! I bought a plasic/poly LOC transition years ago and never used it, perhaps I should do something about that.

Very nice.

Paul T

Why thank you! I used a LOC transition on my second scratcher with a transition, Tank Girl. I like the plastic a lot better than balsa.

tank_girl4.jpg

I have no name for this rocket, 1.637" diameter 24mm motor mount rips on a D12.

Nameless3.jpg

Nameless1.jpg

Nameless5.jpg

Nameless4.jpg

Aziz, my 4" left-over parts rocket with Preator inspired fins.
Aziz-H236-James-Weaver-A.jpg

My first scratch design. 30.5 inches tall, BT-55 tubes, my first papering of fins and a 24mm "D" mount. sandman produced the decals. No clear coat—yet. "Acacius" It's supposed to mean "thorny." But, I can't find it again in any dictionary. All I find now are Saints.

Acacius-1.png
Acacius-2.jpg

Last edited:
Hey, thanks qquake!

It's my first, but I'm pretty sure it won't be the last. I'm already considering some adjustments to the rake of the fins and a paint scheme that shows them to better advantage for another round. Can't wait to fly it.

Hey, thanks qquake!

It's my first, but I'm pretty sure it won't be the last. I'm already considering some adjustments to the rake of the fins and a paint scheme that shows them to better advantage for another round. Can't wait to fly it.

You did a great job, especially on the paint. It should be an awesome flyer.

This is my latest scratch built 3FNC, the Plasma Fart. 4" diameter, 33" long, single 38mm motor mount.

157_plasma_fart.jpg

Attachments

• 156_plasma_fart.jpg
    156_plasma_fart.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 67
  • 159_plasma_fart.jpg
    159_plasma_fart.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 62
qquake, that little baby should s––t an' git! The name would appear to be appropriate. Fun spraying some florescent paint, eh? Looks great!

I finished this one this morning. Two-staged, gap staged, B6-0 eliminator.

photo.jpg

qquake, that little baby should s––t an' git! The name would appear to be appropriate. Fun spraying some florescent paint, eh? Looks great!

I'm thinking an H73 for its first flight. Should be a fun ride!

I finished this one this morning. Two-staged, gap staged, B6-0 eliminator.

That looks very nice! Any idea on altitude? There were a lot of two-stagers at the last launch. Some of them really weather cocked and some got lost in the wind.

I finally got up off my lazy butt to take pictures of some of my rockets, so here ya go. BT-60, 24mm MMT.
n=19
19FNC Full.jpg19FNC Fincan.jpg

I decided I wanted to build something in the 'Bertha-class of rockets. Every manufacturer has one. An 18", BT-60 tube with fins and a nose cone of some description. I'd been working on an Astron Drifter clone and I really like the flat-footed, long sweep fins. A gorgeous little rocket that looks (to me) like the epitome of a 1960's style model rocket. I wanted something that had that look and flavor.

Rambler (or Space Rambler) is what came out of it. As far as paint went, I wanted something like the rockets in the '69 Centuri catalog. So, that's how the paint scheme came about.

The fin pattern is nothing special and you'd think it would have been used on at least a couple of old-timey rockets, but I can't find any that look like they do. Some that are close, but none with the wedge in the crotch. If anyone knows of a rocket with them; sing out.

The bottom line for me is: I'm fairly happy with it, it's somewhat unique and I think it fits right in with the rest of the rockets of it's ilk. The Big Betty and Rhino fall into this class as well. I did put a "D" mount in this—in case I wanted a little extra "umph.'

Here's my favorite. This rocket is Groovy, Man.

(yes, that's its name.)

BT-55 sustainer, A8-3, B6-4, C6-5. I ordered a BT-55 nose cone and body tube from Semroc as part of a large order, then when I got it, for some reason I didn't like the shape of the cone. So it laid around for a long time, until I got this idea for a rocket with holes in the fins. I cut Baby Bertha fins down to the shape shown, stacked and drilled them, and hey, there you go. But I had a heck of a time naming it, and for the life of me I can't remember how I landed on Groovy, Man.

Here's my favorite. This rocket is Groovy, Man.

(yes, that's its name.)

BT-55 sustainer, A8-3, B6-4, C6-5. I ordered a BT-55 nose cone and body tube from Semroc as part of a large order, then when I got it, for some reason I didn't like the shape of the cone. So it laid around for a long time, until I got this idea for a rocket with holes in the fins. I cut Baby Bertha fins down to the shape shown, stacked and drilled them, and hey, there you go. But I had a heck of a time naming it, and for the life of me I can't remember how I landed on Groovy, Man.

The photo's not working.

I decided I wanted to build something in the 'Bertha-class of rockets. Every manufacturer has one. An 18", BT-60 tube with fins and a nose cone of some description. I'd been working on an Astron Drifter clone and I really like the flat-footed, long sweep fins. A gorgeous little rocket that looks (to me) like the epitome of a 1960's style model rocket. I wanted something that had that look and flavor.

Rambler (or Space Rambler) is what came out of it. . . .

I like the looks of that one; the blue/black/white color scheme really sets it off.

Hey, thanks Cookie. Originally wanted a pale green but couldn't find the shade I wanted and opted for Tamiya's "Coral Blue."

I don't know what I did to make the photo so bad. The masking and edges appear distorted. This is a slightly cleaner shot without some of the distortion. The jpg seems to be more accurate than the png. I don't know why.

RAMBLER.jpg

Last edited:
Back