epxoy clay

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Humma

Reaction score
I was at my local hardware store and saw something called plumbers epoxy.Is this the same as epoxy clay?

Also keep in mind that it is brittle and cracks easily. I used to use it for fins but now switched to good old Epoxy. I use it now for securing weight in nose cones.

Epoxy clay is definitely not the same thing as plumber's epoxy putty. The epoxy clay that is sold for hobby use contains lightweight fillers to lower the density, lessen the weight penalty and to make it easier to work with and to sand after it has cured. Plumber's epoxy putty is very dense, tends to be rather grainy and is quite difficult to work with for more than about 45 to 60 seconds. Plus it is impossible to sand after it cures.

JB Stik, made by the same people who make the popular JB Weld epoxy, is better than most stick-style putties that I have tried; most notably it is much smoother in texture and overall it just feels like a quality product. I have used small amounts of it a couple of times on things like motor mounts in certain unusual situations. I would certainly use it again in a situation that could benefit from its particular features. But talk about a fast set; I got no more than 30 seconds to apply it after kneading together a slice of it! (That activates the curing process.) I would never use it for the sorts of things, such as fin fillets, that epoxy clay is advertised for, though. Epoxy clay has a much longer working time, I believe.

I tried JB weld putty on my fillets and did not like it. It is a great product but I found it hard to apply smooth in a short amount of time. I will use it again but not in an area I want to look pretty.

Hahahah that's hilarious because I was cracking billy mays jokes all the way outta the store shen I bought it.

Back