re-finishing a rocket

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

r1dermon

Reaction score
i have a rocket i'd like to re-finish...the fin roots are fiberglass filleted in there and they look pretty sloppy...i did a poor job finishing this rocket several years ago, and i'd like to make it look nice now. would i be better suited to remove all existing paint via sanding, or just scuff it and paint over it? im going to go over the fillets with epoxy clay and make them nice and smooth, im planning on sanding down to the FG. any advice before i begin?

sounds like you pretty much have it figured out. sand it till you have it smoothed out, do any filling if necessary, prime and paint. put up a photo after you refinish it. fresh paint always looks so good.

Last edited:
i've got this thing entirely stripped, but one of the fins has broken loose from the internal fillet.

im thinking of dremeling through the FG, pulling the fin out and sanding the root entirely...for reattachment, im thinking JB weld? does anyone have any advice for sanding the motor tube through the fin slot? just roll up some 100 grit and have a good time?

is there a better bonding method for the root, since i can't readily access it? maybe epoxy putty?

i've got this thing entirely stripped, but one of the fins has broken loose from the internal fillet.

im thinking of dremeling through the FG, pulling the fin out and sanding the root entirely...for reattachment, im thinking JB weld? does anyone have any advice for sanding the motor tube through the fin slot? just roll up some 100 grit and have a good time?

is there a better bonding method for the root, since i can't readily access it? maybe epoxy putty?
Dont know if I would roll the sand paper. Maybe fold it over a piece of balsa narrower than the fin slot, or even just the end of a metal ruler.This way youll have a flat surface down in there???????

Back