Pledge w/ Future Shine now called Tile & Vinyl Floor Finish

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pippen

Reaction score
I went to reach for my bottle of Future/Pledge and found it missing. I think it may have gone home with one of the kids who built with us last year and since I couldn't track it down, I went out in search of a new bottle. I couldn't find it in the usual stores.

What I brought home was Pledge Wood Floor finish with Future Shine and it didn't seem right. I called the company and the packaging and name has been changed. Now it's called Floor Care Tile & Vinyl Floor Finish with Future Shine. Sure an easy name to recall, don't you think? The product for wood floors says Future Shine but doesn't have acrylic.

Makes me long for the good ol' days when it was all just called Future.

I haven't got a bottle of this yet, as I found one with the old packaging at Ace Hardware.

https://www.pledge.com/en-US/Products/Pages/tile-and-vinyl-floor-finish-with-future-shine.aspx

At least they put the Future logo on the label. That makes it somewhat easier to identify. Was the wood floor finish also clear and in a clear bottle? The "clear in clear" should be another signifier that it's an acrylic floor finish. Thanks for the update. If you have Family Dollar in your area, you can find an identical product there under their own brand, called, simply enough, "Acrylic Floor Finish." It's also a "clear in clear" and is about $2 for a bottle.

At least they put the Future logo on the label. That makes it somewhat easier to identify. Was the wood floor finish also clear and in a clear bottle? The "clear in clear" should be another signifier that it's an acrylic floor finish. .

Unfortunately the stuff for wood is clear in a clear bottle and is also labeled with Future shine.

https://www.pledge.com/en-US/Products/Pages/default.aspx

Too bad I didn't know about Family Dollar this morning before I did all that running around and spent a lot more than $2! This kiddo's rocket didn't make it to the fair last year so I wasn't wanting to risk him trying something I wasn't 100% sure of.

Ok, newbie question - are you using this to shine low powered rockets? if

If so what is your technique? just squirt into a cloth and polish? Last time i built rockets we didn't have the public internets so much...

also- have you tried mop and glow thinned with water? I know some florists that used to use that on plants going out to parties where it didn't matter if the plants died later. Makes the leaves real shiny...

Ok, newbie question - are you using this to shine low powered rockets? if

If so what is your technique? just squirt into a cloth and polish? Last time i built rockets we didn't have the public internets so much...

Forum member MarcG recently posted a thread on the application of Future. Use the Search feature and look for threads started by him. It was not all that long ago. I'd dig it out myself for you, but it's quitin' time.

I paint it on with a foam brush. Just remember to seperate your nose from your body tube, lest you cement them together.

The short answer is that it puts on a nice gloss AND adds some protection/durability. It protects decals well.

See the post above for more detailed info.

Forum member MarcG recently posted a thread on the application of Future. Use the Search feature and look for threads started by him. It was not all that long ago. I'd dig it out myself for you, but it's quitin' time.

I paint it on with a foam brush. Just remember to seperate your nose from your body tube, lest you cement them together.

Thanks - great instructions in that thread!

P-G

Future is least likely to react with the paint and decals, and it provides a clear coating that does not yellow with time or fake off. I apply it by dipping a small sponge in a shallow pan containing a little bit of it, squeezing most of the liquid back out, and then swiping the rocket with the sponge. (I use a piece cut from a brand-new, never used dogbone sponge, the type using for washing your car. Stay away from cellulose sponges, because they contain dyes and also shed crumbs or flakes.) This gives me much better control than I ever got when I used a foam brush, and you do need to control it, because the stuff is "looser" and more runny than water. I also follow this same procedure with sheets of decals before using them; I give them at least 3 coats of Future. It makes them easier to manipulate and less likely to shred/shatter on contact. I haven't read the aforementioned "application technique" thread, but this technique works beautifully for me.

Mop 'N Glow does not work well, I have read, but off the top of my head I cannot recall the reason why.

snip.....If you have Family Dollar in your area, you can find an identical product there under their own brand, called, simply enough, "Acrylic Floor Finish." It's also a "clear in clear" and is about $2 for a bottle.

Maybe I'm missing something here.

I've been intrigued by the whole "Future finish" concept and wanted to try it. I don't have a local source for the actual "Future" product, but there is a Family Dollar close by, and when I saw this post I figured, "what the hey, I'll spend the $2 and give it a test". So I went down to my local FD and picked up a bottle. (was actually $2.99, but no quibble there).

I decided to test it on a scrap piece of tubing I'd been using as a painting "handle". It had some bits with gloss paint on it, some bits with flat, and also an area that was unpainted, so I figured this would give me a good show of what "Future" can do. So, I applied some - pretty thick as some have suggested - and let it dry.

and......no real difference as far as I could tell. So I applied a second, third, and even fourth coat (letting them dry in between of course).

Quite honestly, I really saw no significant difference in the result. The gloss paint areas were maybe a small bit glossier - but a very small bit at the most. The flat areas saw no change. And the unpainted areas seemed to just soak up the finish and looked completely "unfinished". Perhaps this provides some protection on a painted model, but as far as aesthetics, I saw essentially no real change - not enough to warrant the time/money/effort to take this step from my viewpoint. And it really doesn't appear to be enough of a coating to provide the level of protection that some have implied either.

So, what am I missing? Am I expecting too much?

s6

I've been intrigued by the whole "Future finish" concept and wanted to try it. I decided to test it on a scrap piece of tubing I'd been using as a painting "handle". It had some bits with gloss paint on it, some bits with flat, and also an area that was unpainted, so I figured this would give me a good show of what "Future" can do. So, I applied some - pretty thick as some have suggested - and let it dry.

and......no real difference as far as I could tell. So I applied a second, third, and even fourth coat (letting them dry in between of course).

Quite honestly, I really saw no significant difference in the result. The gloss paint areas were maybe a small bit glossier - but a very small bit at the most. The flat areas saw no change. And the unpainted areas seemed to just soak up the finish and looked completely "unfinished". Perhaps this provides some protection on a painted model, but as far as aesthetics, I saw essentially no real change - not enough to warrant the time/money/effort to take this step from my viewpoint. And it really doesn't appear to be enough of a coating to provide the level of protection that some have implied either.

s6

I suspect your using the wrong product.

Maybe I'm missing something here....

Quite honestly, I really saw no significant difference in the result. ...

s6
I only use it on decals, both before and after I have applied them to the rocket. Plain paint doesn't need it. Try it on a whole rocket, rather than just on a paint chip, but even then it isn't all that visible on just paint; that's the idea. It's primary use in our context is as a coating for decals.

I apply it in multiple thin coats. Trying to spread on a single thick coat, even if you could manage somehow to keep it from running off, is asking for trouble. That's why I don't like to use foam brushes to apply it anymore - they lay down too much at once. On a sheet of decals, that leads to the creation of puddles, which eventually become "fisheyes" when they dry up. Swiping the surface with a better-quality sponge, such as a piece cut from a car-wash sponge, that has been dipped in the product avoids this problem.

I bought my bottle a couple of years ago; either I don't remember the exact price I paid, or it has gone up since then. It's still a good price, though.

You will get no additional gloss from Future when applied over a nicely finished glossy paint job. What you do get is a layer of protection from the mishaps of transport and flight of a rocket. The scratches and chips at the paint layer are reduced substantially and when/if you ever have to refinish just use some ammonia diluted in water to remove the Future and touch up the paint. Re-apply the Future for a spanking brand new protective shine.

Have they renamed it once again?
https://www.pledge.com/en-US/Products/Pages/floor-care-multi-surface-finish.aspx#OverviewTab

Overview
Directions
Ingredients

Restores, shines and protects tile and
vinyl floors and a whole lot more.

Pledge® FloorCare Multi Surface Finish provides a beautiful, transparent, long-lasting shine that stands up to the wear and tear of heavy traffic without yellowing. It helps restore the shine of older floors and prevents dirt from getting trapped in grooves and indentations, which makes cleaning vinyl and tile floors easier.

Pledge® FloorCare Multi Surface Finish is safe to use on:

Subject of Pledge with future being discontinued was raised yesterday in a model building group on Facebook.
I asked if it might instead be renamed, once again, as it was when this thread came up a couple years ago in my other hobby, and posted link to here.
Interesting the people pointing out to me that this thread here is from 2011, not 2014. Really? Wow, I had no clue the thread from 2011 was not from 2014.
Now, what I didn't know was the commentary about a move to use citrus in more formulas of things; which, I guess, means the new mutation of the product leans toward citrus scented?
Looked at new packaging at Walmart yesterday; directions on back of front label seem identical to Pledge wit Future generation of product.

So... Does anyone know if the new product packaging above actually IS the same product? I've been interested in trying it, but have not found the old product.

So... Does anyone know if the new product packaging above actually IS the same product? I've been interested in trying it, but have not found the old product.

I always looked for the words "acrylic protection" on the bottle as a guide to the right stuff. It used to be prominent on the front label but now I only found it used in the short product summary here: https://www.pledge.com/en-US/Products/Pages/default.aspx <scroll down a ways>. Anyway I think Floorcare Multi Surface Finish is the current "right stuff".

full disclosure - my five year old bottle with "tough acrylic protection" big as life on the front label is still going strong.

There are two versions of the product, so look carefully. The YELLOW spout is for wood floors, and the BLUE spout is for tile and non-wood floors. I don't know if the chemistry is the same or not. But normally, you want the BLUE spouted bottle.

There are two versions of the product, so look carefully. The YELLOW spout is for wood floors, and the BLUE spout is for tile and non-wood floors. I don't know if the chemistry is the same or not. But normally, you want the BLUE spouted bottle.

I can at least tell you blue for sure. I used it on the 20 mill build and it's the way to go over silver !!

Oh good, I got the blue one (so is the yellow for balsa nose cones?:wink:)

Anybody ever try tinting the stuff?

Also, I tried the stuff recently, and yup it is indeed excellent. Nice and self-leveling for smooth and shiny.

Back