Dead Ringer Build Thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dragon_rider10

Reaction score
I know there's already one of these threads...but it's my first true MMX so I am proud of it.

I wanted to try to do something different with my little Dead Ringer and the open area of the fins was beckoning me. I've always liked the 'string art' that middleschoolers do with yarn and nails. That inspired the addition of 'rigging' to the inner fins of the Dead Ringer. Originally I was thinking a more complex spider-web/dream-catcher design. Then I woke up. Less is more you know.

2011-07-07%25252021.25.09.jpg

The rigging is simply thread, which was in my father-in-law's random hobby materials box. I believe it was intended for rigging on those scale tallship models.

2011-07-07%25252021.37.13.jpg

It is cut to length and secured with a drop of CA gel. Several of my fingers are still glued together.

2011-07-07%25252022.33.12.jpg

Painted and built in an evening. I hadn't built a rocket in months and was rushing it through. The threads resisted the spray paint. I highlighted them with craft paint.

2011-07-07%25252023.27.06.jpg

It survived three launches in my sister's GA back yard.

2011-07-08%25252017.00.54.jpg

Glamourous, I know.

2011-07-07%25252023.27.22.jpg

Looks great! And I know what you mean about the CA and fingers. Been there done that!

Outstanding! Me likey the spider web look.

It never ceases to amaze me how people put their own spin on rocket design.

Keep up the good work and yes I too have also fallen into the " I glued stuff together non rocketry related" LOL

it's my first true MMX so I am proud of it.
As you should be.Very nice thread (job) ;) The box is none existent in rocketry!

Very nice detail for the Dead Ringer :)

Now about gluing yer fingers with CA...

RANK AMATURE! :D

You don't graduate from CA Academy till you've...
  • Glued the palm of your hand to a 600 pound oak desk JUST out of reach of the debonder....
  • glued your lips shut (and the tip of the bottle to them) on your way out to a launch
  • Glued yourself TO a rocket ON the pad as you tried to do a quick fix on the pad...
  • Glued yerself to one of your students as you TRIED to show the proper way to use CA...

I could go on, but it's embarassing enough as it is... LOL

:)

very nice, love the web.

My favorite mmx flyer that was a part of my fleet, sadly mine fell victim to the "did you see (crunch) where i...t... lan...." and with all those motors you should keep busy for a little while. now quick onto that harder one you have in the queue lol

So, how did it fly?
I'll try and make it to NEFAR and we'll compare MMX notes.
I just got an order with 48 more MMX engines so I should be set for a year.

Now you can't make fun of my leetle rockets anymore.

For best performance (these are smaller and from the ground they look like they are going much higher than you think)
try the FliKits Honest John, Flis Crayon or the MMX SkyWriter on my blog.
Those are the models that shine on these engines.

(email me your phone number, we should catch up.)

very nice, love the web.

My favorite mmx flyer that was a part of my fleet, sadly mine fell victim to the "did you see (crunch) where i...t... lan...." and with all those motors you should keep busy for a little while. now quick onto that harder one you have in the queue lol

Now how do you know that?! :)

I've been thinking about what to do with that one. I've already got the upscale alien vehicle of death so I'm thinking about a theme that's more benign. A space NASCAR ride maybe?

Chris, I will email you my # so we can catch up. Haven't been able to make it to a NEFAR launch lately. Maybe this month. Sure wish I hadn't paid all my launch fees in advance!! :)

I'm thinking about a theme that's more benign. A space NASCAR ride maybe?

QUOTE] Me too. Its weird, I can come up with some really off the wall ideas, but when it comes to building/designing a Nascar themed rocket , Im drawing a blank and have been for aloooooong time. We (wife and I) want an M&Ms Nascar rocket. It will be interesting to see what you come up with.

Last edited:
Perhaps a better description of my concept is a Space version of an Air-Race plane, like they used to do in the 50s. I believe the secret will be found in the Pinecar Derby section of HobLob. :cool:

Last edited:
Perhaps a better description of my concept is a Space version of an Air-Race plane, like they used to do in the 50s. I believe the secret will be found in the Pinecar Derby section of HobLob. :cool:
They still have Air Races. Are you talking about the 50s style planes?

Back