Squat-o-mania!!! LPR! MPR!! HPR!!!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was really hoping the Mega Squat was going to stick the landing with a perfect 3 pointer. Almost but a tumble when pulled over by the chute.

Amazing for an L3 cert flight.

Thank you everyone!!!

This project has been a long time coming and was well worth the wait!

You know the deal Derek, I build the rocket, you build the motor.

Jim. Both of your altimeter functioned flawlessly for this flight. (Both Betas)

Overview and video below:

Check out the video my Level 3 Certification flight. The rocket is 20" in diameter, over 11ft tall and tips the scale at over 150pounds. This was her maiden flight on a Aerotech M1550Redline. The 28ft parachute brought it back undamaged and she will fly again. It reached a max altitude of 875ft and a top speed of 149mph. 

Enjoy.
https://youtu.be/fpS1OTLmZow

Glad you got a better video, nice!!!!!! I cannot believe the complexity you incorporated in making that nose cone!!!

Outstanding!

Congrats on your L-3......

.......Ummm ya better keep Fywrxz away.....he got some kind of envy going on there, but best not trying to figure that one out....:eyeroll:

Congratulations Bryce! I will just add a couple more shots to this well documented flight:
002.jpg

007.jpg

009.jpg

013.jpg

016.jpg

020.jpg

021.jpg

I think there might be a bigger motor or three in this rockets future...

I can honestly say I've never seen an "M" motor work so hard in my life for so little altitude. The words 'majestic', 'thrilling', 'scary' and the phrases 'awe-inspiring', 'wicked cool', 'freaking crazy' and "how Mother F*%$#g COOL is THAT? all came from the crowd around me as we watched this lift off. I know I already gave you a hearty pounding on the back for this so here's your public virtual round of applause also. It was also brilliant to post that up by the flight line. That was the iconic rocket I can't tell you how many people ask me to take their picture standing in front of-even after dark! I think the teachers at Emby- Riddle will have their hands full of you while you school them for a bit. Nice job mate, and hope to see you in Vegas or at least ROCstock 40. Maybe a drag race? I'm gonna have to get busy. Let's see...I need a 5 tonne Box truck, a mold from the Pillars of Hercules, and oh-"Dear Mr. Loki-I need a 200mm case and load. You see there was this punk out at ROC..."

Nice Flight and congrats on the L3. How did the actual flight results compare to your sims? Did you do any special analysis to convince your TAPs this would be a safe flight? Honestly, I am surprised the RSO/TAPs approved this marginal flight combination.

Todd

Nice Flight and congrats on the L3. How did the actual flight results compare to your sims? Did you do any special analysis to convince your TAPs this would be a safe flight? Honestly, I am surprised the RSO/TAPs approved this marginal flight combination.

Todd
Bryce is so good he does OpenRocket in his head....

Bryce, as promised, here is our slo mo video of your epic flight. I was setup to shoot my flight, so timing worked out. This was shot on an iPhone 5s with a telephoto lens, so it captured everything up close in 120fps. The pilot chute worked perfectly to pull open that monster main. Very well done! enjoy.

https://vimeo.com/98349729

There should be an active link, so you can download a copy.

Mike & Preston

Bryce, as promised, here is our slo mo video of your epic flight. I was setup to shoot my flight, so timing worked out. This was shot on an iPhone 5s with a telephoto lens, so it captured everything up close in 120fps. The pilot chute worked perfectly to pull open that monster main. Very well done! enjoy.

https://vimeo.com/98349729

There should be an active link, so you can download a copy.

Mike & Preston

Great video! That was on a cell phone with a telephoto lens? Amazing.

Neat pics! If you look close at the ones from the boost phase, you can actually see the low-pressure, base-draggy zone --- looks like some water condensation :D

Todd

They were pushing him to launch on whatever they could find. It had a 3:1 liftoff T:W, and the rail was long enough, so everybody was very "helpful" in getting Bryce going.

Awesome flight, how did you prep that parachute the night before? ;)

I had some idiot pull it out without my permission and nearly kill himself flying down the lakebed till he hit a group of people who nicely deflated the chute.

Was I more worried about the idiot, or the chute? Hmmmm...I'll have to think about that one... ;)

When you do you next "prettier" nose cone, post a thread. I want to see your improvements.

I had some idiot pull it out without my permission and nearly kill himself flying down the lakebed till he hit a group of people who nicely deflated the chute.

Was I more worried about the idiot, or the chute? Hmmmm...I'll have to think about that one... ;)

In my defense I really wanted to! I wish the 11.5" was still kicking, we could have done a "drag" race :p

When you do you next "prettier" nose cone, post a thread. I want to see your improvements.

You may have to wait a while for that one. With a new school out of state next year (Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University in Prescott, Az) I don't know if I will be building too much more. It took over 3 years to finish this beast. I would happy to provide input if I saw someone working on a project like this.

You may have to wait a while for that one. With a new school out of state next year (Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University in Prescott, Az) I don't know if I will be building too much more. It took over 3 years to finish this beast. I would happy to provide input if I saw someone working on a project like this.
What???! No drag race?? "Scott-yeah it's Dave again....cancel that 200mm motor order-sorry!"

Todd
They were pushing him to launch on whatever they could find. It had a 3:1 liftoff T:W, and the rail was long enough, so everybody was very "helpful" in getting Bryce going.

Awesome flight, how did you prep that parachute the night before? ;)

2.3 to 1 based on the average thrust. :y:

NAR Safety Code "Size. My rocket will not contain any combination of motors that total more than 40,960 N-sec (9208 pound-seconds) of total impulse. My rocket will not weigh more at liftoff than one-third of the certified average thrust of the high power rocket motor(s) intended to be ignited at launch."

:facepalm:

That is a beautiful flight. Congratulations Sir.

Now back to the talk of that O motor and the 3 outboards!

Back