I HATE Kyrlon!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

troj

Wielder Of the Skillet Of Harsh Discipline
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Made the mistake of using some Kraplon given to me by a friend, and it perpetuated my hatred of the product.

The paint applied yesterday, from the recommended distance, left spatters and rough spots. So I got to sand those off (yay).

So, I moved in a little closer so it would cover properly, and what does it do this time? A couple runs. :eyeroll:

There's a reason I don't buy this product....

-Kevin

I loved old Krylon, and I have actually become a fan of the new formulation.

Several things come to mind:

1. If your paint is old, it likely needs to be shaken for 2-3 minutes, and more is better. But, that is not all ...
2. If it is an old can, it may not spray very well, no matter what you do. I clear my cans by spraying them upside down. Those that have not been treated this way often do not spray very well if they have sat awhile. If that is the case, I toss the can (hate to do this, but better to do this, than to risk a blob ruining the paint job). One last ditch effort to try is to soak the can in a sink of pretty warm water, to try to "break it up and get it flowing". Do not use hot water!
3. Paint must be pretty warm for at least a day or so, for me to get really consistent results. I store spray cans in my basement during the winter, to prevent freezing. I transfer them to the garage when summer arrives, so they will stay warm. I've had colds cans spit globs of paint, even when shaken for minutes. I discovered more cans in my basement the other day, and I moved them to the garage, but vowed not to use them until they sat a few days, just to be sure.
4. Lastly, it is dry here in Colorado, so humidity may be as much to blame for your problems, as anything (not sure where you live?). If it is slightly humid here (rarely), I do not paint.

We all experience a bad can now and then, but following the steps above has given me great paint jobs. This techniques applies to other brands. I had Rustoleum cans that were notorious for throwing globs, and since I started keeping them warm, they work just fine.

Last edited:
1. The paint is old, and needs to be shaken for 2-3 minutes. But, that is not all ...

I wonder if a pound of BP will shake it enough? :)

2. If it is an old can, it may not spray very well, no matter what you do. I clear my cans by spraying them upside down.

To be honest, my current experience matches my experience with Kraplon, in general. I've called it that for years, because I've always had problems with it that I don't have with any other brand of paint.

-Kevin

I am using Valspar on my current project. I have had much better results. I am still careful about curing time, etc. But it seemed that no matter how long I let Krylon cure, I got wrinkles on later coats. I put on several coats of Valspar primer and the base color (yellow) with no problems. Finally, I masked the rocket for black on yellow, sprayed on a light coat of Testor's clear coat to prevent seeping, waited 24 hours and sprayed on Valspar black. It is pretty hot and a little humid up here in New England but I got no wrinkles, bubbles, etc. :D

Mike

PS: I always use the upside-down can thing. Keeps the nozzle from getting all gunked up.

I am using Valspar on my current project. I have had much better results. I am still careful about curing time, etc. But it seemed that no matter how long I let Krylon cure, I got wrinkles on later coats. I put on several coats of Valspar primer and the base color (yellow) with no problems.

I've never used Valspar, but I know several who have who like it.

I tend to use Rustoleum, but will likely try the Valspar at some point in the future.

-Kevin

Stuff like this is why I have moved almost exclusively to lacquers for nearly all painting now. Using Rustoleum, valspar, testors, duplicolor, or Lustrekote lacquers I've rarely had any of those oddities and in the rare case of a run it can quickly be sanded down. Also I have found putting laquer over Rusto fluorescents works fine. All of those brands have played nicely with each other when using their laquers at least in my hands.

Good luck recovering from the trouble.

One other thing. I bought a bunch of replacement spray caps online for a few bucks and have found this fixes some wonky cans of enamel.

i bought some rustoleum enamel at lowes, its not srpay paint its in a smallish can. we will see how well i like using it...

spray paints in general make me mad... if you have ever used a paint gun, you know why.....

I caved in over the winter and purchased an airbrush. The newer airbrushes (I have a Grex) have pistol grips and are incredibly easy to use and clean. The difference between rattle cans and airbrush paints especially the custom automotive lines is incredible.

If you are a bottom feeder like me, just put a search on ebay for a used Grex Tritium, or Iwata eclipse G series. I was able to buy a complete package for about 60% off retail, which comes out to about $160.

m_Tritium.TG.jpg
iwata-g6-with-bottle.jpg

I am using Valspar on my current project. I have had much better results. I am still careful about curing time, etc. But it seemed that no matter how long I let Krylon cure, I got wrinkles on later coats. I put on several coats of Valspar primer and the base color (yellow) with no problems. Finally, I masked the rocket for black on yellow, sprayed on a light coat of Testor's clear coat to prevent seeping, waited 24 hours and sprayed on Valspar black. It is pretty hot and a little humid up here in New England but I got no wrinkles, bubbles, etc. :D

Mike

PS: I always use the upside-down can thing. Keeps the nozzle from getting all gunked up.

I'm in New England too, and have been slowly switching over to Valspar as my supply of rustoleum wanes. I like it a lot better. Paint jobs over the last few days have been much better than I'm used to getting with Rustoleum.

I caved in over the winter and purchased an airbrush. The newer airbrushes (I have a Grex) have pistol grips and are incredibly easy to use and clean. The difference between rattle cans and airbrush paints especially the custom automotive lines is incredible.

If you are a bottom feeder like me, just put a search on ebay for a used Grex Tritium, or Iwata eclipse G series. I was able to buy a complete package for about 60% off retail, which comes out to about $160.

m_Tritium.TG.jpg
iwata-g6-with-bottle.jpg

I am a harbor freight kinda painter.... 24.00 for a kit, and if it gets bad i chuck it and get a new one...
seriously i have gone through 3 in the last 10 years... so .. they work....

i like the 10.00 coupon for the small gravity feed, i have 2 of them and they work great.

MEK cleans them right up...

an auto painter is who turned me onto painting the way i do, he said you can paint a car with any kind of paint you want to... you just have to clear it the right way, and "your process" has to work...
i have found that to be true...

I've never had any trouble with Krylon.
I have use it for almost all of my rockets.
On others I used Dupli-color.

You do need to shake the crap out of it if it has been sitting for a long time.
One trick is to place the can in a bucket of warm water to bring the propellant up to speed. That's if it is not already 100 degrees outside like it is here.

JD

Krylon is one of those things that you CAN get good results out of, IF you BABY it, do everything PERFECTLY, and have God on your side... Maybe...

BUT, that's also why it's the "paint of last resort" AFAIC...

Why would one want to mess with something SO finicky when you can get something that has results SO much better that is MUCH easier to use?? (Ie Valspar, W/M Colorplace, Duplicolor, Rusto, etc...)

It's like getting a high-maintenance girlfriend who's not very attractive and mean versus the cute friendly girl next door who adores you...

Later! OL JR :)

I don't know; it either works for you or it doesn't. I'm in the first group. It's not the only brand I use, but when I do use it, I don't have any problems. My only issue with it is that the gloss white is pretty thin. I always shake paint cans for two minutes before use.

I wonder if a pound of BP will shake it enough? :)

To be honest, my current experience matches my experience with Kraplon, in general. I've called it that for years, because I've always had problems with it that I don't have with any other brand of paint.

-Kevin

Go with Duplicolor...

I use both their primers and enamels and never had any issues. The color I use most is Gloss White. Why? because gloss white always seems to be the base color and from there I just add whatever accent colors I want. I also heard their lacquers are great too!

I am a harbor freight kinda painter.... 24.00 for a kit, and if it gets bad i chuck it and get a new one...
seriously i have gone through 3 in the last 10 years... so .. they work....

i like the 10.00 coupon for the small gravity feed, i have 2 of them and they work great.

MEK cleans them right up...

an auto painter is who turned me onto painting the way i do, he said you can paint a car with any kind of paint you want to... you just have to clear it the right way, and "your process" has to work...
i have found that to be true...

I like the idea of using a spray gun. I think I will buy one like you said from Harbor Freight since I am now working and can afford a few new toys. I just stocked up on some gloss white Duplicolor from O' Reilly / Kragen. They are having a 2 for 1 sale. Two cans for $5... I can't go wrong. Airbrush would be nice to have too, but I would probably only buy one for scaled rockets and not what I am building.

I've never had any trouble with Krylon.
I have use it for almost all of my rockets.
On others I used Dupli-color.

You do need to shake the crap out of it if it has been sitting for a long time.
One trick is to place the can in a bucket of warm water to bring the propellant up to speed. That's if it is not already 100 degrees outside like it is here.

JD

Before I paint I usually sit the can in the sun and let it warm up some...seems to work well.

Go with Duplicolor...

I use both their primers and enamels and never had any issues. The color I use most is Gloss White. Why? because gloss white always seems to be the base color and from there I just add whatever accent colors I want. I also heard their lacquers are great too!

I've used a little bit of Duplicolor and it has worked well.

-Kevin

I've never had a problem with rustoleum, which is why I use it...I too have had rough experiences with krylon, so I stick with what I know. I've even painted guitars with rustoleum and they came out amazing looking.

Braden

Paint works best regardless of brand when you follow the instructions to the letter. Paint is intended to work as a system, that means using the same brand and product line from the start to finish, this avoids incompatibility problems, that is the cause of the majority paint problems. The directions on clearing the nozzle on a paint can is another important one, and save old paint for household projects that do not need to be perfect.

Jeremy

I don't know; it either works for you or it doesn't. I'm in the first group. It's not the only brand I use, but when I do use it, I don't have any problems. My only issue with it is that the gloss white is pretty thin. I always shake paint cans for two minutes before use.

Same here.I really don`t mind the stuff (I HATE their primers and gloss white.....total CRAP !!) as I use it once in awhile (just did actually on my Quest Minotaur ,Bahama Sea Blue)

Low humidity ,shake plenty and 3-4 light coats ,waiting 2-5 minutes between coats.

Sure don`t beat lacquer though !

Paul T

[/IMG][/CENTER]

Curious - what's the cup size on your Grex? How large of a rocket have you painted with it? What's the cleaning process like?

I'm used to using an airbrush or airgun---that said when I got back into MR I started using rattle cans--1) simple to use--2) lotts of you guys do it to so I tried. Never was fond of Rusto--I am now--used to like Krylon--or Kryalot- just junk, don't know what they did but it ain't good:eek:really only have problems with the gloss paint--busting up--cooking--call it what you may--IT IS NOT USER FREINDLY--Have had great LUCK with store brand paints--esp Ace-True Value- Wally world --etc. In the end airbrush/gun are the way to go if you have the room/money/set-up---by the way I like laquerLOTTS

I actually had more problems with the old lacquer-based Krylon than I have had with the new alkyl-based formulation. Go figure. :confused2: I have no explanation for why the new one works out better for me than the older version, but it does.

Troj,you are using it all wrong!! Here is what you gotta do,shake can 3-4 minutes,place can upside down on a Bible,pray the Rosary,shake can 3 more minutes,place the can right side up on a Bible and pray the Rosary again. Shake can 3-4 more minutes then start painting,works for me. :) :) :)

Troj,you are using it all wrong!! Here is what you gotta do,shake can 3-4 minutes,place can upside down on a Bible,pray the Rosary,shake can 3 more minutes,place the can right side up on a Bible and pray the Rosary again. Shake can 3-4 more minutes then start painting,works for me. :) :) :)
You forgot about hopping on one foot...

Low power, I use duplicolor primer and valspar rattles, mid power and small high power, I use duplicolor primer in a rattle and Alsa shot with HPLV. The bigger high power stuff I use only Alsa shot with HPLV for primer and color, clear and flake. I use the cheap harbor freight guns and keep them as clean. As I can and I get beautiful paint jobs.

Low power, I use duplicolor primer and valspar rattles, mid power and small high power, I use duplicolor primer in a rattle and Alsa shot with HPLV. The bigger high power stuff I use only Alsa shot with HPLV for primer and color, clear and flake. I use the cheap harbor freight guns and keep them as clean. As I can and I get beautiful paint jobs

The kit I bought came with 2,5, & 15ml cups. I then purchased a 50ml cup. I also purchased the $12.99 airbrush 'special' from Harbor Freight which I use on 6" and larger rockets

Curious - what's the cup size on your Grex? How large of a rocket have you painted with it? What's the cleaning process like?

Back