29mm Optima Build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The 29mm motors have a more robust ejection charge than the Estes D motors. Therefore the stuffer tube isn't as important - you can shorten it as much as you like, giving more room for the laundry.

Neat project

I am working on a 29 MM optima also but it is not as neat as yours. I am using Semroc tubes, an aero pack retainer, and Semrco repo laser cut fins. I am going to use epoxy for the fins.

I will be watching this build.

Hey Diz.

Sears makes a retro fit package for your radial arm saw. It's FREE because of a product safety recall. Takes about 2-3 hours to do the job. You get a complete new table assembly, full blade guard, and such.

Google Sears radial arm saw recall to find the link or just follow this...

https://www.radialarmsawrecall.com/

I like monkeys.

Mmmm... radial arm saw...

I've done an Optima clone with a 38mm motor mount, rigged for dual deploy. I was so happy with the way it turned out, I've been afraid to fly it... :eyeroll:

Stickershock has decals.

You might be better off using a fiber-reinforced abrasive blade, like for concrete cutting. It basically sands its way through the tube and shouldn't shatter the surface as much.

G.D.

I am working on a 29 MM optima also but it is not as neat as yours. I am using Semroc tubes, an aero pack retainer, and Semrco repo laser cut fins. I am going to use epoxy for the fins.

I just got my Semroc mini optima in the mail today. For $17, I'm impressed with this kit. Slotted body, sturdy tubes, and a payload bay. Probably all I'll change will be to use metal flake vinyl for the decals. Might grab one or two more to try out some paint jobs for this project. I've seen a ton of black/white optimas, a few Black white/yellow, but the directions also show a Blue/gray pattern I've never seen. Might give that a try on one. For my Blue Tube optima, all I know so far is I'll use blue metal flake instead of orange. other than that.... not sure if i'll go black/white, black/silver, blue/silver. I can't decide.

(this semroc kit puts me at 3 kits being built, 2 projects, and 3 kits on order coming in the next week. Also 4 rockets are on the repair shelf. I need to focus up and clear my table.)

I'm enjoying watching your "build." The Shadow/Optima is one of my favorite of Estes's designs.

I had a Shadow that I flew and repaired dozens of times. It never flew high enough on a D motor to give the parachute time to open. So, I was often reparing broken fins. This was, of course, before I discovered Aerotech's composite motors.

Later I made a beefier clone of the Shadow using Aerotech parts. I used a pre-slotted Aerotech body tube and an Aerotech motor mount kit, so the build was rather quick and easy. I cut the fins from thin plywood and glued them into Aerotech's "Fin Lok" thing.

I flew the clone often on F and G motors until I had a G motor fail sending flames up through the rocket.

Aerotech sent me a new motor mount kit and body tube and I rebuilt the Shadow clone. But, I accidently mounted the rear fins upside-down so it looks a bit off. :)

-- Roger

My father has an Optima (which I'm currently rehabbing some things on), and I've got the Shadow. I've always enjoyed those two rockets over all others we've had. But they always seemed to be reaching a touch too much in size for the motors. Tried a D12-5 once and nearly had a heart attack, Optima needed some finwork after that. The Shadow weathercocked badly once, and flew into the nosecone when it deployed, cracking a dorsel in half. Most of the flights I'd consider a success. But it seems to live on a fine line between a short slow flight to 200' and popping nicely, or crashing into the ground before getting under canopy.

This project was born out of a desire for a little sturdier rocket, and a little more power. Other ideas I had were a dual/triple/quad 24, or a 2 stage. I may build those still, though I'm not sure what with.

Heyy dude how you doin?

Did you flew it? Wich Motor you gonna take to fly this baby :)? Thanks and good luck

Not flown yet. I decided to add a Kevlar recovery harness. Waiting on that to come in the mail. Then I can finish off the build. In the above photos everything is just dry-fit. Nothing has been glued.

I plan to fly it locally on small F motors. It is being built in theory, to handle any 29mm motor up to I200. If I even came close to that I'd convert to dual deploy first. Biggest realistically planned is an H128

Last edited:
Nice!!! I made plans nearly same as yours (don't be mad at me), i would use a G80 Motor and it would fly 600 meters (2000feet) high aprox.
I would love a cover up too. Where can i find them? I do it as an Graduation work :) Your idea is damn good! I'm really looking forward to build it! One more questions, did you designed the fins or where you have them from?

sry for my bad english :/

Do you cover your rocket? Or you fly it like that? Or you paint it?

Last edited:
It's a very beautiful rocket! I love it! ok great thanks!

I'm gonna buy all stuff from apogee and than the journey can begin :) I'll message you when i build it. And i'll do a thread too :). Ok thx for the informations they helped me out alot!

looks awesome :) great job.! When will you launch it? and wich motor you choosed?

Thanks! Motor mount tube and fins are all epoxied in place. Rear Rail button was drilled out and installed. Rear CR and Aeropack are JB welded in.

I'm aiming to launch before the end of August.

For the first launch motor, I'm thinking F23FJ-4, or F42T-4. I have to get a real weight and CG to punch into RockSim before I finalize that.

The recovery harness looks pretty stout. Actually the whole rocket does. Nice job.

Where'd you get the Kevlar? Did you sew your own loops?

Hmmm how about a G80 motor? goes up to 2000 feet :) I hope so bad my rocket will look as badass as yours! The recovery harness looks really strength. I don't think you will have that much problem. After you did your RockSim file could you pls post it? I don't think i'll be using the same recovery harness but approximately i should have the same weight as you do! Can't wait to get my stuff in the mail!! Will you use a Altimeter?

beautiful work! I just don't get why you did that little hole into your rocket?

And how did you fixed your very first CR that ones that holds the parachute line.
The retainer you hit with a hammer to make it fit and attached it with epoxy right?

The "little hole" is for a rail button, an alternative to launch lugs.

okok i'll use launch lugs :p 1 more question could you give me the name of the epoxys that you used? I need to order them! Now i ordered everything else for the rocket!! "super exited" :) !!!!!

Really, it could be built entirely with any 5 minute epoxy. I don't know enough to recommend one over another. The only specific requirement is for the aeropack retainer. It's recommended to use JB weld epoxy due to the high heat it's subject to.

The top CR, I put a bunch of epoxy on it, then stuffed in the whole motor tube and rolled it around to spread the epoxy.

But, to be precise, the epoxies I used are as follows-

Top CR, mid CR to 29mm MMT. Ubolt nuts to top CR, Top CR to main airframe, Fins tacked onto MMT (root edge into slots) - loctite 5 minute epoxy

Internal fin fillets, lower CR to lower fin tab edges- Peratex 30 minute epoxy (picked up at local autoparts store in a a dual syringe. I got 2 of them.) I used a long set time so it'd soak into the wood and tubing. In theory.

Rail Buttons- Permatex 4 minute metal epoxy. Also an autoparts store pickup, in a syringe. It's a nice thick paste.

Lower CR to MMT, aeropack, and main airframe- JB weld.

I haven't done the external fillets yet. They're going to be thin, and I'm not sure If i'm going to use 30 min, or the 4 minute metal. The 4 minute is thick, and works easy. The 30 would bind better, but really at this point... those fins are in there.

Only work today was ordering the decals.... stickershock in the mail :) :) I still don't know what I'm goign to do for paint....so I ordered both black and white logo's.

Oh, and I don't recall doing it, but I got an email this morning telling me I ordered an 8 foot rail from 8020. Guess I won't need to install a lug for park flying.

Last edited:
Ok great thank you!! Really awesome work i'm speechless!

While trying to decide on a color scheme, I laid out the rocket next to my Optima and Shadow.

It's an inch shorter.

I measured all three about a half dozen times trying to figure out what I did. I looked at my notes, and saw the Shadow/Optima at 39.5" of BT, and the planned 38.5" for the new one written in. Measured the Blue Tube again, and saw the pencil marking for 37.5" written right on the tube.

I'm feeling pretty stupid at this moment. But, It answers the question of adding an av-bay. I don't think I'll do it right now, but in the very near future. *sigh* I can't believe I just did that.

edit: just ordered the e-bay from apogee. figure I can rig it for single deploy for now, and it'll be easier to do now than after it's finished. I didn't plan for this, gonna have to check space for laundry, decided where to cut for it....Bleh, and I was almost done too.

Last edited:
*sigh* I can't believe I just did that.

At least you didn't glue the fins on upside-down. I can't imagine anyone doing that .....

My rebuilt Shadow clone ended up a couple of inches too long. I forgot to cut the battom tube to the right length when I was rebuilding it. But, I decided that I liked the longer look. Then, on the first flight after the rebuild, I used too long of a delay in too small of a motor. The rocket hit the ground nose first, just an instant before the ejection charge fired. It crumpled the lower body at the top of the tube, So, I was able to repair the damage by cutting away the damaged section. Now, my Shadow clone is a little too short.

The photo above was taken before the circumcision. The Optima/Shadow is definitely one of the coolest designs ever from Estes. I have an original Shadow decal ... somewhere. Eventually, I'll locate it and add it to the rocket.

-- Roger

Last edited:
You know, the fins kinda look cool that way. Optima is a great design. Always fun to fly, and low enough to use huge chutes. I really think my next prOject is gonna be a dual cluster, a two stage, and maybe a quad cluster. Lots of bt 80.

Back