Another QCC Explorer build thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got two of the fins/intakes epoxied on. This sure has been a slow build for me.

55_fins.jpg

57_fins.jpg

58_fins.jpg

59_fins.jpg

Got the other two fins/intakes epoxied on. It's almost flyable!

62_fins.jpg

63_fins.jpg

64_fins.jpg

65_fins.jpg

Looking good.....very good ! I like that trick where you used the aluminum angle to sand the radius on the intakes, great idea ,one which I will have to use.

paul T

Looking good.....very good ! I like that trick where you used the aluminum angle to sand the radius on the intakes, great idea ,one which I will have to use.

paul T

Yeah, I wish I could take credit for the aluminum angle trick, but like I said, I saw it on YORF. Sanding the intakes against the body tube worked out well, it made them almost self aligning when I epoxied them on.

Got the coupler/bulkhead epoxied into the upper tube. All that's left is to attach the launch lug before I start the finishing.

67_coupler.jpg

68_coupler.jpg

66_rocket.jpg

70_rocket.jpg

Hmmmmm , I never noticed that there was a tail cone on the kit ,really nice touch !

Very handsome looking rocket ,if I may use that term.

Paul T

Got the launch lug glued on. Also knocked it off the table and broke a fin. I was surprised it broke, it didn't land that hard. The fin snapped off right at the tab that goes through the intake. I'll definitely need to put fillets on the fins.

73_launch_lug.jpg

71_broken.jpg

72_fixed.jpg

It's looking good. I just primed mine. This is one heavy rocket. Are you going to fly on D's, or E's?

It's looking good. I just primed mine. This is one heavy rocket. Are you going to fly on D's, or E's?

Have one also, now ready for another round of primer - any QCC rocksim file to compare C, D, & E 's (like the package says) estimated performance ?

Only a couple of flights at rocketreviews so not a lot to go on, and no one has posted the .rkt there yet .

Kenny

Have one also, now ready for another round of primer - any QCC rocksim file to compare C, D, & E 's (like the package says) estimated performance ?

Only a couple of flights at rocketreviews so not a lot to go on, and no one has posted the .rkt there yet .

Kenny

I have a feeling a C11 would be way underpowered. It's a fairly heavy rocket, and very draggy.

I have a feeling a C11 would be way underpowered. It's a fairly heavy rocket, and very draggy.

The C11-3 is the perfect small field engine for this rocket, It gets up there like 200' feet with a perfect boost...For my field a D would way too much.

I'm thinking a D12-3 for the first flight. It's really HEAVY. But, I fly in a 300 acre pasture.

Finally got some more done on the Explorer. I decided to try some spray sanding sealer on the fins and intakes. I don't do a lot of balsa fins, and finishing them certainly isn't my forte. I'm curious to see how the sanding sealer does. Lots of sanding in my future...

The rolled up paper in the aft part of the body tube is to keep sealer and paint out. I tried masking tape, but it didn't stick well for some reason. That's where the tail cone will be epoxied in.

76_sealer.jpg

77_sealer.jpg

78_sealer.jpg

[POW]Eagle159;228306 said:
ALL I would say is a D12-5 IF you use a D...

I'll wait until I get the final weight before I decide on D12-5 or D12-3. If it's too heavy, I'll go with an E reload.

I got the upper section primered and painted, and the nose cone primered. Before I primered the nose cone, I sanded it and washed it with hot water and dish soap.

88_primer.jpg

90_gray.jpg

92_primer.jpg

Is that Rustoleum 2x primer ? If so, how do you like it. I bought a few cans while down in the US last winter ,but have not used it yet.

Paul T

Is that Rustoleum 2x primer ? If so, how do you like it. I bought a few cans while down in the US last winter ,but have not used it yet.

Paul T

I absolutely love it. I use both the 2x primer and paint. It covers better than any other spray paint I've ever used.

I think the Rustoleum 2x gloss apple red is my favorite color. It hasn't disappointed me yet.

93_red.jpg

This is a sweet-looking kit! Looks like a pretty involved kit. Beautiful work!

[POW]Eagle159;228306 said:
ALL I would say is a D12-5 IF you use a D...

I flew it this past Saturday. D12-3, blew the cone WAY before apogee. D12-5 deployed about 50' before apogee. My last flight was a D12-7, and the ejection charge popped the cone at the arch, just before it nosed over. I'd say a D12-5, at the least. Next time, I go with an E-15...

Now, I'm thinking of upscale to BT-80, 55 inches tall, 29mm.

Its a neat looking rocket and i think you are doing a great job on it:)
Cheers
fred

Thanks for the compliments, everyone. I probably could have done better, but I get impatient. It's not a kit I would have chosen for myself, it's a little tedious for my liking. But it is a unique looking rocket with the intakes. I like it, and I'm hoping it'll be a good flyer. Next will be the decals. I haven't applied waterslide decals in many years, so this should be interesting.

94_rocket.jpg

95_rocket.jpg

You know I just noticed you didn't use the included tail cone. You also moved the intakes forward of the rear tube. Was this done on purpose?

John Boren

You know I just noticed you didn't use the included tail cone. You also moved the intakes forward of the rear tube. Was this done on purpose?

John Boren

I haven't painted the tail cone yet, but I am going to use it. And I thought I had the intakes positioned according to the instructions. Did I miss something?

John Boren

Oh, I think I figured out the intake issue. In the paint photos, I put a rolled up strip of paper in back to keep paint out of the inside of the body tube, because of gluing in the tail cone.

96_paper.jpg

97_no_paper.jpg

Back