Rust-Oleum Black Lacquer 11oz.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rocket_Man

Reaction score
Okay first off I dont paint my rockets. I use monokote to finish them. But I am finishing a plastic X-15 and had no choice but to reach out for a paint can. My last painting experience was with Krylon and the infamous 2nd coat disaster so I was nervous when I pushed the spray nozzle.

As a matter of fact, I used a Testors Lacquer paint a couple of weeks ago on another plastic model and it bubbled really bad. Seems the cause was the paint and or model was too warm and the paint was "filming, drying to quickly" trapping bubbles underneth the drying paint film.

HOWEVER;

My experience with Rust-Oleum's Black Lacquer was completely different. The stuff sprays on really nice and seems to be forgiving enough that even I, a non-painter, can get a very good shiny finish. The paint dries fast, I applied a 2nd coat withing 3 hours of the first. I appllied 2 coats yesterday and after the humidity burns off today I will apply the 3rd and final coat. The model is EXTREMLY shiny even without a coat of clear which I will apply after letting the decals dry today.

The Rust-Oleum Lacquer spray cans come in only 3 colors: Black, White, and Red. Plus a Clear. Price at walmart was $4.27 per 11oz can; Bringing the price for a Black can and a Clear can just under $10.00 including tax.

xsDSCF0006.jpg

SIDE NOTE: Rust-Oleum has a color shifting paint that changes colors depending on the viewing and light angles. It is designed to be applied over a Black finish!

Last edited:
I have used the color shift paint on a bertha I recently built.
1a50e9ae.jpg

It looks good but you have to ensure that there are NO HOLES in your black - the colorshift isn't able to fill in popped bubbles and whatnot.

A word of warning - you can't see the color shift until it dries so go lightly and take your time. It is FAR too easy to pool colors you can't see!

Good luck!

Back