Saturn V

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phantomregiment1227

Reaction score
Hi, I'm Matt. This is my first post here. Me and my friend build rockets together. We recently lost our prized Estes Eliminator and we're looking for a suitable replacement. We found an Estes Saturn V, but it was discontinued. We were wondering if there is another manufacturer that produces the Saturn V that has a decent peak launch altitude to it (1,000-1,500 ft.)

Any suggestions?

In addition to the genuine Estes (available through Commonwealth), there are a few other options at various ends of the price spectrum. The Estes, due to collectible nature, will run around $100-150. On the low end is a Dr. Zooch kit--decent looking, fun/easy build, flies on A/B/C motors, sells for about $25. Mid-range would be Saturn Press (Peter Alway) at about $45, flies on C motors. Higher end would be Apogee at about $250, flies on 29mm motors (figure G80 or thereabouts). Among the grandaddies of the all would be Sirius Rocketry's 1/64th scale at $360 or Sheri's Hot Rockets at $460. You can find more about any/all of these at rocketreviews.com.

P.S.--If you wait a month or so, Semroc will be releasing one very similar in size/design to the Estes at around $50. Given their established quality/value, this might be your best overall bet in terms of bang for the buck.

Unless you mod the Estes kit to a cluster or a 29mm motor (which Commonwealth sells a conversion kit for both) you will not get any higher than about 150 ft out of it. It is not a bad kit, I am almost done building mine myself, but I did build it into a cluster.

The Dr. Zooch, while small, will get you some good height, and Semroc should have a great kit when it comes out. Estes is reported to be re releasing their Saturn V but I don't think it will happen.

Back