painting/finishing question

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skybuster

Reaction score
hey everyone,
I have so far built a grad total of two rockets, so I am brand new into rocketry as you could expect. With both of mine, (A big Bertha and an Astron Elliptic II), I have used spray paint on both, and I have had an awkward finish on some parts. The awkward finish looks like a hard boiled egg shell when you crack it; small, jagged, geometrical pieces. I was just wondering if anyone knows what can cause this, and if there's any suggestions/methods to correct/fix it?

thanks for the help

Last edited:
hey everyone,
I have so far built a grad total of two rockets, so I am brand new into rocketry as you could expect. With both of mine, (A bib Bertha and an Astron Elliptic II), I have used spray paint on both, and I have had an awkward finish on some parts. The awkward finish looks like a hard boiled egg shell when you crack it; small, jagged, geometrical pieces. I was just wondering if anyone knows what can cause this, and if there's any suggestions/methods to correct/fix it?

thanks for the help

Time... ...let more of it pass.

did you use more than one coat? if so you probably used enamel paint and reapplied the second coat too soon - does the paint say second coat in an hour or after 48 hours? or something similar. with that paint if you apply too soon that is what happens, even though the first coat looks diry it really isnt. if this is the type of paint you have (probably is as that is what is most available these days thanks to EPA)then follow the recoat times carefully and going even longer between coats is even better, especially if you are going to mask parts for a second color

If that isnt the case other things can cause that like grease or oils on the surface or high humidity

did you use more than one coat? if so you probably used enamel paint and reapplied the second coat too soon - does the paint say second coat in an hour or after 48 hours? or something similar. with that paint if you apply too soon that is what happens, even though the first coat looks diry it really isnt. if this is the type of paint you have (probably is as that is what is most available these days thanks to EPA)then follow the recoat times carefully and going even longer between coats is even better, especially if you are going to mask parts for a second color

If that isnt the case other things can cause that like grease or oils on the surface or high humidity
Yes, reading the fine print it does say an hour or after 48. With it being fast drying, I thought that when it was dry I could add another one onto it. Also have had high humidity due to daily monsoons, but I'd say it's my fault. Is this something that can be sanded off when dry, and be painted over or would I be in the SOL position?

Thanks for the info,
:cheers:

Last edited:
it is something we all have had to come to grips with the last couple of years as a lot of spray paint has changed. You can sand it off and start again - only bad thing is you will sand off most of the paint and will be starting over. going forward, if you want a second coat of the color you just used, do it in in less than an hour or wait several days - 3-4 not out of the question and a week never hurts. If you are going multi colors and are going to mask definitely wait 4 days minimum, I would wait a week. If you let it dry in the garage when it is humid out I would wait the week, if you let it dry in an air conditioned area then 3-4 days should be ok - but the week never hurts

Last edited:
hey everyone,
I have so far built a grad total of two rockets, so I am brand new into rocketry as you could expect. With both of mine, (A big Bertha and an Astron Elliptic II), I have used spray paint on both, and I have had an awkward finish on some parts. The awkward finish looks like a hard boiled egg shell when you crack it; small, jagged, geometrical pieces. I was just wondering if anyone knows what can cause this, and if there's any suggestions/methods to correct/fix it?

thanks for the help

You could let it completely cure -- give it a few days, the more the better with enamel. And if you have high humidity, might want to give it up to a week.

This will give you the opportunity to go build your 3rd rocket while waiting for this one to cure.:)

Something I've done when having paint issues, or giving an old/beaten-up rocket a new paint job, is to lightly sand the rocket, and re-prime it. Then you have a base to sand off. You use the primer to fill all the cracks, and take off most of the primer when sanding. In this way, you allow the primer to build up in all the cracks.

But I'd say don't worry too much about getting it perfect. Go fly it, and enjoy it. Each rocket you build will be better, and your finishes will improve with practice.

Pay attention to the recoat times stated on the label. If the manufacturer says to recoat within an hour or after 48 hours, they mean it; stay within those time limits. Otherwise you will get "lifting" and wrinkling, sometimes referred to as "orange peel." Each coating of paint goes through various phases as it dries, and at some points it is not strongly bonded to the surface. A subsequent coat, applied at the wrong time, can pull up and shrink the underlying coat. This shrinking action produces the network of wrinkles that you saw. If you apply another coat within the first block of recoat time, you'll get the second coat on before the first coat has entered this delicate stage. Both coats will be in the same phase of the drying process, so they will dry together, more or less as a single coat. If you wait until the second recoat interval, then you will be applying it after the first coat has fully dried and adhered to the substrate. At that point you'll be applying paint to a hard, dry surface.

Keep in mind that one of the constituents of spray paint is solvent, and that gets applied to the surface along with the rest of the paint components. So in a sense you are not just spraying the surface with paint, but also with solvent. If you apply a solvent to fresh, still wet paint, no problem; the solvent from the second coat just gets added to the solvent that is still there from the first coat and the two evaporate away together. If you apply a solvent to a coat of fully dried paint, it will have little visible effect on that first coat, because the dried paint by then is strongly bonded to the surface and is pretty resistant to attack by the spray's solvent. It is when you apply solvent to partially-cured paint that you have problems. There are more technical explanations of the phenomenon that involve the chemistry of spray paint and the physics of drying, but this is the overall picture in a nutshell.

Last edited:
If the problem is widespread on the rockets as opposed to a few small spots, it's going to be a pretty big job to fix. In that case I'd probably chalk it up to experience (maybe draw on a fish or lizard face :wink:), fly the things, and move on to the next builds.

When you're starting out, it isn't a bad idea to use the same brand of primer as paint. We live in high humidity and most of the time we use Rustoleum primer and paints, as we've had better results with that brand than others. We also usually bring the rockets into the house to dry, as the humidity is lower with the AC on. Most of the time we wait a few days between coats of primer and then let a full week pass before starting the paint.

Thanks for the help everyone, I was able to get it off and put on a nice finish.

I have encountered a couple of plastic nosecones and a solid tube connector from two different companies, though I assume they were molded at the same Chinese factory and supplied to both kit companies, that have defied any and all attempts to get a good paint finish.

The plastic, as it arrives, feels “waxy” and it doesn’t wash-off. I shot it with Krylon primer and two hours later it was still sticky. In fact it never dried I had to use paint stripper to remove it so as to try, try, try, try, try, try and try again with various types/brands of paints and primers.

Eventually it went into the trash can and I replaced them both with balsa offerings from Semroc and BMS.

I hope this is not indicative of future plastic parts in our kits.

I have encountered a couple of plastic nosecones and a solid tube connector from two different companies, though I assume they were molded at the same Chinese factory and supplied to both kit companies, that have defied any and all attempts to get a good paint finish.

The plastic, as it arrives, feels “waxy” and it doesn’t wash-off. I shot it with Krylon primer and two hours later it was still sticky. In fact it never dried I had to use paint stripper to remove it so as to try, try, try, try, try, try and try again with various types/brands of paints and primers.

Eventually it went into the trash can and I replaced them both with balsa offerings from Semroc and BMS.

I hope this is not indicative of future plastic parts in our kits.

If the plastic has a waxy feel, it's probably polyethylene, which has the peculiar property that nothing will stick to it. I know that Sunward uses polyethylene in their canopied fighter cones. You have to sand with an agressive grit, and cross your fingers. If the parts are polystyrene, then there's a possiblilty that the Chinese use a funky mold release agent. If it's styrene, I recommend washing the parts with Dawn dish liquid, which is a decent grease cutter. You might try using Krylon Fusion, which is specially formulated for plastics.

More than likely, it's the crappy overseas mold release.

To tell the difference between styrene and polyethylene, dab the part with acetone or liquid model cement. If the solvent doesn't leave crazing on the part, then it's polyethylene. Nothing sticks to polyethylene.

Last edited:
Rustoleum Plastic Primer is worth a try here. You will prbably have to go to an auto parts store to find it tho.

Sand the nose cone with 60 or 80 grit to raise some "hair". Spray according to the directions on the can. Pay particular attention to the need for a seven day cure before you do anything else with it.

You should be able to lay down some regular Rusto primer and carefully sand the hairs down. Reapply regular Rusto primer as needed and paint when you're happy with the primered cone.

This method has never failed me.

PS. Seven day cure period. Really.

I like monkeys.

Pay attention to the recoat times stated on the label. If the manufacturer says to recoat within an hour or after 48 hours, they mean it; stay within those time limits. Otherwise you will get "lifting" and wrinkling, sometimes referred to as "orange peel." Each coating of paint goes through various phases as it dries, and at some points it is not strongly bonded to the surface. A subsequent coat, applied at the wrong time, can pull up and shrink the underlying coat. This shrinking action produces the network of wrinkles that you saw. If you apply another coat within the first block of recoat time, you'll get the second coat on before the first coat has entered this delicate stage. Both coats will be in the same phase of the drying process, so they will dry together, more or less as a single coat. If you wait until the second recoat interval, then you will be applying it after the first coat has fully dried and adhered to the substrate. At that point you'll be applying paint to a hard, dry surface.

Keep in mind that one of the constituents of spray paint is solvent, and that gets applied to the surface along with the rest of the paint components. So in a sense you are not just spraying the surface with paint, but also with solvent. If you apply a solvent to fresh, still wet paint, no problem; the solvent from the second coat just gets added to the solvent that is still there from the first coat and the two evaporate away together. If you apply a solvent to a coat of fully dried paint, it will have little visible effect on that first coat, because the dried paint by then is strongly bonded to the surface and is pretty resistant to attack by the spray's solvent. It is when you apply solvent to partially-cured paint that you have problems. There are more technical explanations of the phenomenon that involve the chemistry of spray paint and the physics of drying, but this is the overall picture in a nutshell.

Interesting... I was always taught that "orange peel" was the effect of getting too far away from the surface and the paint partially drying before it hit the surface, leading to the paint not flowing out properly and ending up rough, like the peel of an orange... get REALLY too far away and you get 'dry spray' where the paint surface not only doesn't flow out, but gets downright 'pebbly' from nearly dry sticky droplets of paint adhering to the surface coat...

YMMV... OL JR :)

Interesting... I was always taught that "orange peel" was the effect of getting too far away from the surface and the paint partially drying before it hit the surface, leading to the paint not flowing out properly and ending up rough, like the peel of an orange... get REALLY too far away and you get 'dry spray' where the paint surface not only doesn't flow out, but gets downright 'pebbly' from nearly dry sticky droplets of paint adhering to the surface coat...

YMMV... OL JR :)

Yup, that's pretty much the universal definition of "orange peel" in the painting world. https://pc.dupont.com/dpc/en/US/html/visitor/s/trouble/PDSG_OrangePeel.html What we're talking about here with enamels is called "lifting": https://pc.dupont.com/dpc/en/US/html/visitor/s/trouble/PDSG_Lifting.html Other than that little slip in terminology, Mark was spot on with the recoat problem.

Last edited:
If the plastic has a waxy feel, it's probably polyethylene, which has the peculiar property that nothing will stick to it. I know that Sunward uses polyethylene in their canopied fighter cones. You have to sand with an agressive grit, and cross your fingers. If the parts are polystyrene, then there's a possiblilty that the Chinese use a funky mold release agent. If it's styrene, I recommend washing the parts with Dawn dish liquid, which is a decent grease cutter. You might try using Krylon Fusion, which is specially formulated for plastics.

More than likely, it's the crappy overseas mold release.

To tell the difference between styrene and polyethylene, dab the part with acetone or liquid model cement. If the solvent doesn't leave crazing on the part, then it's polyethylene. Nothing sticks to polyethylene.

In my experience of painting plastic, and what I was taught in the theatre... contact cement. The stuff in the paint tins for laying countertops. brush it on thin as possible and wait a couple of days for it to dry. try sanding. Then paint. BIG DISCLAMER - i have not tried this on a rocket to date, but when i had a laminate bookshelf that wouldn't accept paint, contact cement worked, and worked well. Not a chip with 2 kids under the age of 5 storing toys on it now for 2 years.

pg

Back