Trying to decide what skill level to start with

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Addicted

Reaction score
So i need a new hobby to keep me busy at night and building a rocket has caught my interest.I Don't want to start a project and have it done in a few nights.Maybe a few weeks,i was thinking skill level 4.From what i see there is no reason why i could not complete it.I used to be in to nitro rc cars,have always been building/tinkering with stuff since a young age and am an auto mechanic so i feel pretty confident about starting with a level 4 kit.What do you think,good idea or not?

Thanks,
Jason.

It would help if we knew where you were going to launch this rocket. How big of a field do you have? How high do you want to go? Do you want to do a scale model or build something challenging? Do you want to fly low power, mid power or high power?

I want something challenging to build and there are some pretty big sand pits here.Mid or high power would be nice,do you have to be certified for high power?

Quick and easy answer is you can fly anything up to and including a G motor (less than 160 Newton-seconds total) without certification. Anything above 160 and you'll need to certify.

Personally, I would say build a couple of easier kits unless you've done a ton of modelling. I made this mistake and took on a kit that I ended up ruining, just simply because I didn't have near enough experience doing it.

If you're super patient, and you have some experience doing modelling before, then for sure hit a level 4 kit up! You can definitely build some big, cool rockets that are level 3 and let you stretch your rocket building legs a bit.

A cool, and challenging low-powered build is a Sunward Skybender, which is a three motor cluster and has a fairly unique design. I just finished one, and I love it.

Anyways, that's just my two cents :)

I am patient,i am looking for a project to take up some time.No rush.What would be a larger rocket maybe 3 feet and flies pretty high that is challenging to build?.I will look at the rocket you suggested also.

I guess it really depends on what you call really high :D

If you're looking for a real craftsman's challenge, take a look at FlisKits.com, they have some stuff that's pretty out there (awesome kits).

Or if you wanna try your hand at breaking Mach 1, and although it's not a fancy design, it takes skill to get the fins, etc. mach-ready take a look at the Apogee Aspire at apogeerockets.com

I'm sure others will have some recommendations.

EDIT: The King Kraken from Pemberton Technologies is pretty badass and seems to give folks a challenge as wellhttps://pembertontechnologies.com/modules.php?name=Kits

The Semroc Saturn 1B is a wonderful kit, but building it is a major project, especially if you want to add more scale detail to it. Skill Level 4 kits in general are not for slouches; they do require some project management skills and real commitment to see them through. You have model-building experience so you are hardly a rank beginner, but there are things that need to be learned about model rockets besides just how to build them to look nice. I applaud your ambition and do not want to say anything to tamp it down, but you did ask for advice. The Saturn 1B is a terrific build, but it is a project. I just wanted to make you aware of that. If you want to learn more about model rocketry, you might want to consider making a slightly less ambitious kit your first venture in the hobby. That way you can get out and start launching sooner and gaining some experience without being bogged down with a 3-month project. In this hobby, the "model" part is very important, but so is the "rocketry" component. It is important when you take up the hobby to start right away to learn about the "rocketry" part, and not put it off while you are creating your masterpiece.

Rocketroar,those fliskits look aesome!Thanks!

Mark,what do you think is the most challenging pasrt of a build like the saturn 1b,the build or the finish work?.I am actually looking for a long project,a 3 month build would be great.As long as i could get the build done fine i suppose the finish could always be improved with later builds.

Rocketroar,those fliskits look aesome!Thanks!

Mark,what do you think is the most challenging pasrt of a build like the saturn 1b,the build or the finish work?.I am actually looking for a long project,a 3 month build would be great.As long as i could get the build done fine i suppose the finish could always be improved with later builds.
Both! There is a multitude of detail to add to it to make it closer to scale, and that will require some research and some ingenuity in creating the various items. The paint schemes and roll patterns were different for each Saturn 1 that was flown, so you'll have to decide which one you are going to model. Portions of the exterior are corrugated, and painting them can be challenging. Basic components, especially the open strut tower of the launch escape system and the reaction control system thrusters are real bears to build on any Saturn 1B or Saturn V, and this one is no exception. And remember, you are building a model that will fly through the air under rocket power, so you have to build it to withstand the rigors of launch, flight and recovery.

If you elect to build a stripped-down version, you will still have to deal with, for instance, the scallop fairing at the base of the 1st stage tanks, getting the fins right and applying the corrugations. You'll have to decide if you want to build the motor mount for a single motor or for a cluster, and having an idea of how such a rocket will fly on each of the two options will need to be taken into consideration. The decision about the motor mount comes very early in the build process and cannot be put off. The recovery system and how it attaches to the rocket may need to be modified based on how you plan on launching your model. Since you won't have any experience with launching rockets of similar bulk, you'll need to be proactive about getting advice about these practical considerations from experienced fliers. (Don't worry, we all help each other out. It's a natural component of the hobby.) Someone may suggest that you to try to attend at least one organized launch in your area so that you can observe how rockets of various sizes and motor configurations actually fly and recover. You'll undoubtedly gain insights there that you can apply to your own project. If nothing else, the experience may very well shed light on aspects and areas that you realize you need to know more about. Above all, do not be afraid to ask questions at organized launches or here. We were all novice rocket builders once, so we know the feeling. We have all received vital and timely help at some point, and giving back and paying forward are two of the hobby's core values. And besides, as you can tell, we just love to talk to each other about rockets. ;) :D

As a new rocket enthusiast, my recommendation would be to practice launching some, let's say, expendable rockets while you build a nice one. My first two rockets logged two launches each before they were lost :2:

Finally, just as pilots don't learn their discipline entirely within the hangar, model rocketry people don't learn everything in the workshop. You have to start getting in some flight time. Flight experience informs every aspect of the hobby, and that is especially true when it comes to constructing the rockets. There are a multitude of questions that can only really be explored and understood out at the range. Bad decisions or overlooked wrinkles can turn your beautifully built rocket into splinters in seconds. In contrast with RC nitro, once the motor starts you have no ability to actively control the rocket. Your "flying skill" is all in the preparation beforehand. From the moment that the motor ignites to the moment the rocket touches back down on terra firma you can only stand by with fingers crossed, hoping that you correctly anticipated all of the variables, made the right decisions and effectively implemented the solutions. You'll get better at it with practice and experience in an perpetual, iterative process. Each flight teaches you something. But to begin learning, you have to start flying.

I agree with the advice to build some low power expendable rockets. This will give you some ideas on what you like to build as well as on what points in the build where you need to pay special attention.

A lot of people upgrade certain parts of kits based on personal preference. Things like shock cords, motor mounts, etc. Without any experience you don't know what you would like to customize.

Another thing to consider is your price range, which is the biggest drawback in rocketry.

I assume by the premiss of your original post that you have some experience in modeling or related crafts and you are looking to channel that into model rocketry? I so then I see no harm in jumping in at the higher skill levels. You must remember though that building is only half the game and flying your creation is the ultimate goal. I would hate to see anyone spend many hours building a beautiful rocket to have it end up in a million little pieces at the end of the day. Go ahead and build your Sat1B but launch a few less complex models first.

I would recommend the Estes Big Bertha as a good model to familiarize yourself to the techniques and materials of rocketry and as a good flyer. Many of us have started with this model and the kit itself has been around for almost 50 years. It builds quickly and is a very forgiving flyer.

Whether you build a Big Bertha or one of the many other fine kits available get some experience launching before putting your prize work of art into the air. Just think of it as the sacrificial lamb on the alter of model rocketry. I've seen grown men cry when their Saturn V suffered recovery failure. It's not a pretty sight.

I usually build a few at a time. That is, a few different LPR (Low Power) kits at teh same time. that way, you're working a fair amount, and not just 5 minutes here, 1/2 hr there, etc.. At least, for me..

I would sugest a few kits, of various skill levels. that way, you will always have something in your hand, and something always curing / setting (glue drying). You may then discover that one skillset might be better suited and the harder one can then be put aside if needed..

If you can afford it, one of the Fliskit Fleets woudl be a good bet. A few kits of varying degree for a discounted (bulk!) price..

With a few weeks and some established building skills and wanting to cluster with a cool scale look I would recommend the Flis Kits Tres with a cool custom paint job. Others would be a Launch Pad Nike Hercules if you can find one - would need Excelsior or Sticker Shock decals, or maybe one of the easier two motor cluster Launch Pad Kits. Basic Cluster kits from Sunward, Apogee or Quest could fill the bill as well. Go to rocketreviews.com and take a look, great place to see all the kits in one place.

Thanks for all the great advice guys!.Right now I'm leaning towards the Launch pad Nike Ajax.It's big,has a three motor cluster and is cheap.Looks like it will be a fun first rocket and if i smash it up oh well :)

Any suggestions for what to order with it for building supplies?

Last edited:
Back