Centuri - Hustler Gallery

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BEC

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
....or any variations on that theme. Mine is a Semroc Mini Hustler. This one has quite a few flights in service of my small altimeter comparison project. The payload section can handle several at once with ease.

This one is completely stock except for the static ports in the base of the payload section for use by the various altimeters, and the shock cord attachment has been redone after a particularly bad choice of delay (way too long) on an early flight.

IMG_0696.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Mine is the Semroc SLS Lil' Hustler. One of my favorites, but tossed a fin on the last flight. I need to get it fixed before NARAM.:cool:

506904481_319cde480e_b.jpg

I made a clone of the Hustler several years before the Semroc release:
hustler_pose.jpg

I don't have a picture of my (Semroc) Lil' Hustler handy, but here is . . .
6180207644_8a5ee31bac.jpg

Mrs. Hustler! It is in-between the Hustler and Lil' Hustler; it uses a BT-60 and BT-70 and a BMS reproduction of an old Estes BT-70 clone. It pretty lightweight and uses 24mm motors only.

Here's my first version of the Semrocian Hutsler on a D12-3. After a number of flights, I ended up blowing the fins off on an H-148R.

DSC03638.jpg

... and the second build taking off on an I49 to 5400 ft. I fiberglassed the fins and extended the payload for dual deploy

SLS%20H1.JPG
...[/IMG]

Last edited:
This project turned out right nice.

John

Copy of Lil_Hustler (6).JPG

Copy of Lil_Hustler (3).JPG

The Hustler was a big rocket for its time. I saw an original MM Hustler flown in 1970 on a MM F14 motor. It maybe went 400 feet up. Black powder did not have the Nt-sec. needed to really make this one fly.

Few pics of my recently completed Semroc SLS Hustler (thats the big one).

Decided on a really plain scheme for the big bird. Actually it was due to unavailability of paint, lack of imagination and lack of skill to execute anything more flashy :) But she turned out nice in the end.

Semroc SLS HUSTLER 001.jpg

Semroc SLS HUSTLER 002.jpg

Semroc SLS HUSTLER 003.jpg

Last edited:
Few pics of my recently completed Semroc SLS Hustler (thats the big one).

Decided on a really plain scheme for the big bird. Actually it was due to unavailability of paint, lack of imagination and lack of skill to execute anything more flashy :) But she turned out nice in the end.

Turned out very nice indeed!! Ordered the parts today to start cloning my own, thanks for the build thread.

Welcome to the Centuri Hustler (KF-10 or #5180) Gallery on TRF.

This gallery showcases the Centuri Hustler (KF-10 or #5180) and those rockets derived from it. Particularly appropriate in this thread are the following:

Centuri: Hustler: KF-10 or #5180
Centuri: Lil' Hustler: KF-8 or #5178
Semroc: Mini Hustler: KA-20
Semroc: SLS Hustler: KV-11
Semroc: SLS Lil' Hustler: KV-57

as well as any upscales, downscales, clones, kitbashes or other derivative works. Even Goonies qualify!

Last edited:
Centuri Hustler (KF-10 or #5180) Basic Information.

centuri_engineering.gif
Centuri Engineering

MODEL NAME: Hustler Also known as:

NUMBER: KF-10 or #5180

Introduced: 1965
Final Year: 1971
Designer: Lee Piester

Type: Payload
Motor Mount:
Recovery: Parachute
Stages: 1
Length: 37"
Diameter: 2.25"
Span:
Weight: 8.2 oz

Mfg. Description: A real work horse!! Designed to carry your biological specimen or instrumentation payload to extreme altitudes. Study acceleration effects -- build miniature camera -- build radio transmitter or receiver. The Hustler and its payload returns safely by large hemispherical silk parachute for many repeat launchings. (Centuri 1965 Catalog)

=====

1967 Catalog text identical to 1965 Catalog
1968 Catalog text identical to 1965 Catalog

=====

A real work horse!! Large capsule designed to carry your biological specimen or instrumentation payload to high altitudes. Study acceleration effects -- build miniature camera -- build and launch radio transmitter or receiver. The Hustler and its payload returns safely by large hemispherical silk parachute for many repeat launchings. Comes with engine mounts and shock cord/secure cable already installed. (Centuri 1969 Catalog)

=====

1971 Catalog identical to 1969 Catalog

Advertising Liveries

centuri-hustler%20kf10-1965%20cat.jpg
1965 Catalog
centuri-hustler%20kf10-1967%20cat.jpg
1967 Catalog
centuri-hustler%20kf10-1968%20cat.jpg
1968 Catalog

centuri-hustler%20kf10-1969%20cat.jpg
1969 Catalog
centuri-hustler%20kf10-1971%20cat.jpg
1971 Catalog

Face Card(s)

Instruction Header(s)

centuri-hustler%20kf10-instr%201.jpg

First post in this thread featuring this rocket.

See Also: LINKS
EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

If you have any additional information on this rocket and/or catalog photos please let us know.

Last edited:
Centuri Lil' Hustler (KF-8 or #5178) Basic Information.

centuri_engineering.gif
Centuri Engineering

MODEL NAME: Lil' Hustler Also known as:

NUMBER: KF-8 or #5178

Introduced: 1967
Final Year: 1971
Designer:

Type: Payload, Downscale
Motor Mount:
Length: 29"
Diameter: 1.33"
Span:
Weight: 6.5 oz

Mfg. Description: A real payload carrier!! The "LIL' HUSTLER" is a 3/4 scale version of its big brother, the HUSTLER. Designed for its higher altitude capability, the LIL' HUSTLER will carry up to 6 ounces of payload. Comes with pre-installed engine mount and recovery system. Includes 3 powerful MINI-MAX F10-4 rocket engines with igniter packet and complete instructions. Safe recovery with colorful silk parachute. (Centuri 1967 Catalog)

=====

1968 Catalog text identical to 1967 Catalog

=====

A real payload carrier!! The "LIL' HUSTLER" is a 3/4 scale version of its big brother, the HUSTLER (on page 84). Designed for its higher altitude capability, the LIL' HUSTLER will carry up to 6 ounces of payload and return it safely via colorful SILRAY parachute. Comes with pre-installed engine mounts and recovery system. Kit includes 3 powerful MINI-MAX F55-4 rocket engines with igniter packet and complete instructions. (Centuri 1969 Catalog)

=====

A real payload carrier!! The "LIL' HUSTLER" is a 3/4 scale version of its big brother, the HUSTLER (on page 86). Designed for its higher altitude capability, the LIL' HUSTLER will carry up to 6 ounces of payload and return it safely via colorful SILRAY parachute. Comes with pre-installed engine mounts and recovery system. Simply attach fins and finish. Kit includes 3 powerful MINI-MAX F type rocket engines with igniter packet and complete instructions. (Centuri 1971 Catalog)

Editorial Note: The Lil' Hustler is mis-labeled as KF-10 in the 1967 catalog.

Advertising Liveries

centuri-lil%20hustler%20kf8-1967%20cat.jpg
1967 Catalog
centuri-lil%20hustler%20kf8-1968%20cat.jpg
1968 Catalog
centuri-lil%20hustler%20kf8-1969%20cat.jpg
1969 Catalog
centuri-lil%20hustler%20kf8-1971%20cat.jpg
1971 Catalog

Face Card(s)

Instruction Header(s)

centuri-lil%20hustler%20kf8-instr%201.jpg
centuri-lil%20hustler%20kf8-instr%202.jpg

EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

If you have any additional information on this rocket and/or catalog photos please let us know.

Last edited:
Semroc Mini Hustler (KA-20) Basic Information.

semroc.gif
Semroc Astronautics

MODEL NAME: Mini Hustler Also known as:

NUMBER: KA-20

Introduced: 2010
Final Year:
Designer:

Type: Payload, Downscale
Motor Mount: 1x18mm
Length: 22.7" (57.7 cm)
Diameter: 1.34" (3.4 cm)
Span: 6.8" (17.3 cm)
Weight: 1.9 oz (53.9 g)

Mfg. Description:

Advertising Liveries

semroc-mini%20hustler%20ka20-1012%20web.jpg
2012 Web

Face Card(s)

semroc-mini%20hustler%20ka20-face%201.jpg

Instruction Header(s)

semroc-mini%20hustler%20ka20-instr%201.jpg

EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

Last edited:
Semroc SLS Hustler (KV-11) Basic Information.

semroc.gif
Semroc Astronautics

MODEL NAME: SLS Hustler Also known as:

NUMBER: KV-11

Introduced:
Final Year:
Designer: Lee Piester, Carl McLawhorn

Type: Payload, Clone
Motor Mount: 1x24mm
Length: 39.7" (100.8 cm)
Diameter: 2.34" (5.9 cm)
Span: 11.8" (30.0 cm)
Weight: 9.0 oz (255.4 g)

Mfg. Description: 1965 Retro Repro (Semroc 2012 Web Ad)

Advertising Liveries

semroc-sls%20hustler%20kv11-2012%20web.jpg
2012 Web Ad

Face Card(s)

semroc-sls%20hustler%20kv11-face%201.jpg

Instruction Header(s)

semroc-sls%20hustler%20kv11-instr%201.jpg

EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

Last edited:
Semroc SLS Lil' Hustler (KV-57) Basic Information.

semroc.gif
Semroc Astronautics

MODEL NAME: SLS Lil' Hustler Also known as:

NUMBER: KV-57

Introduced:
Final Year:
Designer: Lee Piester, Carl McLawhorn

Type: Payload, Clone
Motor Mount: 1x24mm
Length: 29.8" (75.7 cm)
Diameter: 1.84" (4.7 cm)
Span: 8.7" (22.1 cm)
Weight: 6.0 oz (170.2 g)

Mfg. Description: 1967 Retro Repro (Semroc 2012 Web Ad)

Advertising Liveries

semroc-sls%20lil%20hustler%20kv57-2012%20web.jpg
2012 Web Ad

Face Card(s)

semroc-sls%20lil%20hustler%20kv57-face%201.jpg

Instruction Header(s)

semroc-sls%20lil%20hustler%20kv57-instr%201.jpg

EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

Last edited:
Here are a few photos of an original Centuri MM Hustler kit. These are BIG balsa nosecone and payload transition pieces.
Every Centuri Minimax rocket kit I ever saw, except for one example in 1969, already had the factory included motors removed. Too bad.

mm hust.jpg
MM HUST 2.jpg
mm hustler1.jpg

Thanks for the photos of the kit, NikeRam. I see that the motor mount was separate in this version. Did the shock cord come installed?

I've been flying my "Mrs. Hustler" a lot. It really flies beautifully on D and E motors, and I think I'll write up plans for it.

Here are a few photos of an original Centuri MM Hustler kit. These are BIG balsa nosecone and payload transition pieces.
Every Centuri Minimax rocket kit I ever saw, except for one example in 1969, already had the factory included motors removed. Too bad.

Is that your kit, NikeRam?

Very nice.

I have a couple of boxed Enerjet kits but no MM models.

I'm more into Aero-Darts but I have built and flown the Semroc SLS Hustler.
Semroc SLS Hustler.jpgSemroc SLS Hustler launches on an AeroTech E15-4W.jpg

Did the shock cord come installed?

I cannot recall. Give me a few weeks to research your answer. I will respond then.

In the one I acquired, the motor mount was installed from the factory. So also was the shock cord and the fine steel 'secure cable' which parallels the shock cord. Interestingly, Centuri already glued the payload tube to the aft transition balsa section (they called it the "reduction fitting").

The photos I posted of the Hustler kit were not mine.

I had to make an attempt at rescuing your photos:44907b.jpg
44908b.jpg

Attachments

• 44907b.jpg
    44907b.jpg
    158.3 KB · Views: 0
I flew my Semroc SLS Hustler this past Saturday.

I have been wanting to fly the model with a Quest E-26-4W Q-Jet for quite awhile but there never seems to be a long enough 3/16" launch rod available on any club launch pad.

This launch was different. You had to bring your own launch equipment and I have a five-foot launch rod for my Mantis pad.

A very nice flight. :)
An excellent motor/model combination.

Can anyone point me to further information that would allow cloning of one of the variations? In particular what are the 2 body diameters of the original? The specifications usually list only the body diameter of the payload section, not the diameter of the main airframe. I searched for sims such as rocksim or open rocket and couldn't find any.

Can anyone point me to further information that would allow cloning of one of the variations? In particular what are the 2 body diameters of the original? The specifications usually list only the body diameter of the payload section, not the diameter of the main airframe. I searched for sims such as rocksim or open rocket and couldn't find any.
https://plans.rocketshoppe.com/centuri/cenKF-10/cenKF-10.htmhttp://www.spacemodeling.org/jimz/kf-8a.htmhttps://www.insanerocketry.com/user/semroc/flightlog/66258fd212204239/fbc845f0145c4d00.pdf
erockets is your best bet for parts, but they seem to be closing out the Centuri/Enerjet sizes.
They might even have the decals (haven't checked).

Here's the exploded view, with all the parts called out, from the Semroc SLS Hustler instructions. This should get you a good long way towards a clone.

Attachments

• SLS Hustler exploded view.pdf
    114.6 KB · Views: 0
https://plans.rocketshoppe.com/centuri/cenKF-10/cenKF-10.htmhttp://www.spacemodeling.org/jimz/kf-8a.htmhttps://www.insanerocketry.com/user/semroc/flightlog/66258fd212204239/fbc845f0145c4d00.pdf
erockets is your best bet for parts, but they seem to be closing out the Centuri/Enerjet sizes.
They might even have the decals (haven't checked).
BT55 and BT60 look like almost exactly the right proportions, I could use 24mm motors. BMS seems to have a cone and transition that would work.

Back