Making Tubes

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eggplant

L3 | NAR 93664, TRA 17791
Reaction score
I would like to save some money and skip waiting for shipping by making a 29mm motor mount tube and a 98mm coupler. I have already seen the method of making a coupler where you cut off part of the tube and slit it, but it doesn't appeal to me, as the rocket is fairly short as it is. Any tips?

Last edited:
Find a mandrel and roll your own out of craft paper. A motor casing will work for the motor mount tube. The coupler will take some imagination.

What weight of paper do I need? What is a "mandrel"? And finally, how do I start it rolling, and what should I use for adhesive?

A mandrel is a form upon which the tube material is rolled. It is usually treated with a release agent (wax, PVA, etc.) to aid in the removal of the airframe material from the mandrel.

Greg

There was an Apogee Components publication that I ran across that showed how to do it. I can't seem to find it though. You might contact them to locate it for you.

Here is a video "how to" to wrap fiberglass on a mandrel (in this instance it's a motor case). It might be adaptable for paper.

Greg

I created a high power rocket with airframe components made from hand-rolled tubes and couplers. I rolled the tubes out of multiple layers of 110 lb. cardstock. (Paper rockets were the inspiration for the project and building a huge one was the goal.) I used a length of Schedule 40 PVC that was left over from a recent renovation as the mandrel and I did not need to use any release film. For the couplers I found a can of tomato paste in the cupboard that was about the right diameter for a mandrel. I didn't have a 38mm motor case at the time, so for the motor mount I used another piece of pipe that I built up to be 1.5" in diameter. (When I got my case, I tried it in my mount and the fit was perfect.) Because of the width of the cardstock I had to make the airframe in four sections and join them together with three couplers. I ended up rolling the tubes out of 7 layers of cardstock and the couplers out of 4 layers. The rocket is very strong! So not only can it be done, but depending upon how you do it, the process can be surprisingly simple. I rolled mine on the dining room table while I watched TV, and just used white glue on each layer except for the final one, which got regular Devcon 30 Minute epoxy. I didn't need release film because I was careful to avoid getting glue on the pipe when I rolled the first layer. For mandrels, look around the house for everyday objects that might be the right size. A barrel-type container of rolled oats is almost exactly 98mm in diameter. You can get one cheap for a buck or two at a dollar store.

For the mandrel for a 29mm motor mount adapter for that rocket, I used a 1.125" dowel and built it up with two or three layers of cardstock until the diameter read 29mm on my pocket caliper.

I created a high power rocket with airframe components made from hand-rolled tubes and couplers. I rolled the tubes out of multiple layers of 110 lb. cardstock. (Paper rockets were the inspiration for the project and building a huge one was the goal.) I used a length of Schedule 40 PVC that was left over from a recent renovation as the mandrel and I did not need to use any release film. For the couplers I found a can of tomato paste in the cupboard that was about the right diameter for a mandrel. I didn't have a 38mm motor case at the time, so for the motor mount I used another piece of pipe that I built up to be 1.5" in diameter. (When I got my case, I tried it in my mount and the fit was perfect.) Because of the width of the cardstock I had to make the airframe in four sections and join them together with three couplers. I ended up rolling the tubes out of 7 layers of cardstock and the couplers out of 4 layers. The rocket is very strong! So not only can it be done, but depending upon how you do it, the process can be surprisingly simple. I rolled mine on the dining room table while I watched TV, and just used white glue on each layer except for the final one, which got regular Devcon 30 Minute epoxy. I didn't need release film because I was careful to avoid getting glue on the pipe when I rolled the first layer. For mandrels, look around the house for everyday objects that might be the right size. A barrel-type container of rolled oats is almost exactly 98mm in diameter. You can get one cheap for a buck or two at a dollar store.

For the mandrel for a 29mm motor mount adapter for that rocket, I used a 1.125" dowel and built it up with two or three layers of cardstock until the diameter read 29mm on my pocket caliper.

Mark,
I'd love to see pictures of that, that sounds awesome!

Braden

Here are a few pictures that I have posted before. In the first photo, it is the big one. I'll take some more detailed photos and post them later. It is about 2.6" in diameter (totally coincidental!) and 41" tall.

DSCF0059-2.jpg

DSCF0350-TRF-1.jpg

DSCF0599-1.jpg

Back