Duplicolor Perfrect Match Cure Time?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

El Phantasmo

Reaction score
Does anyone know the cure time or recoat time after 1 hour for Duplicolor Perfect Match spray paint?

All I can find, on the can and online, is recoat after 10 minutes within 1 hour, no cure time. Other Duplicolor acrylic enamels, say to wait 7 days for paint to cure before applying more paint. Consequently, I'm waiting 6 more days...

What other rattle can paints are widely available (Houston, TX) in the variety or colors Duplicolor offers? Has anyone ever used Montana Gold on their rockets?

Thanks

I'm about to use some perfect match LACQUER. In fact in 5 minutes I'm going to mask over the white lacquer I shot 90 minutes ago to make a clean line.

The lacquers are easy to work with; haven't had great luck with their enamels due to long recoat window waits.

The warning on the Perfect Match cans mention acetates while the regular acrylic enamels don't...

) s? Has anyone ever used Montana Gold on their rockets?

Thanks

Montana paints were started in Spain [I think] for use as high quality paint for "taggers". You know those pesky folks painting everything from train cars to your house with pics and signs. They needed finer fan spray patterns and changeable fan tips for using upside down and better art.[ "OK"]

Somewhere along the line there was a falling out and Germany now claims the brand. It is good stuff & not cheap, I first saw it last year being used on rockets by a friend. BUT upon some Googleing and investigation soon found out that both Montana and Dupli-Color are both very similar [if not the same] being made by the same parent company.

If we were talking a car then after and hour cure time you would have to scuff the paint so the new has something to grab onto. I would just give it a light scuff the next day with a scotch pad.

I know the "history" of Montana Gold paints, thanks nonetheless. I'm really picky about color selection when I paint my rockets anything but red, white, blue or black. I really hate settling on non primary colors just because that's what the local stores have. Usually, Walmart's one or two different yellows really isn't what I'm looking for, and the hardware stores aren't really much better. I'm not a big fan of the home decor spray cans either (they're usually pastels to boot); for the price I might as well use Testors or order some Montana Gold. The color pallet Montana Gold offers is amazing. The other alternative is to use automotive paints and a spray gun/air brush $$$$$$$$... not happening.

A little math for those who care:

Testors 3.5oz spray can $5.25 (MSRP) = $1.75/oz

Montana Gold 13.53oz (400mL) matte only $6 = $0.44/oz

Rust-Oleum Lacquer 11oz $4.98 = $0.45/oz

Additional taxes, shipping and clear coats may apply.

Back