Flew the doo-Hickey

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr. Larry

Reaction score
Flew the Fliskits doo-Hickey today. It flew great but not very high. Streamer deployed at apogee and everything looked great. I also flew my Bic with nose blow recovery and it went about 3 times higher than the doo-Hickey. I checked the weight of each rocket and the doo-Hickey was about
a .10 oz. heavier than the Bic. Also, I'm thinking that the streamer for recovery for the doo-Hickey really isn't necessary. Have a great 4th of July.

Last edited:
Good to hear about the Fliskit. I sure need to order the Dead Ringer after the fun of the Little Joe. And a good 4th to you, and all, too.

I got 2 flights on my Doo-Hickey a couple of weeks ago - my first attempt at MMX. I had no problem with ignition using the toothpick method. My flights were, well... , underwhelming. I knew I wouldn't get 100 feet because of weight, but I did well to get 30 feet. I could really launch this baby in my (smallish) back yard.

I have other MMX rockets to build, so I'm looking forward to some higher flights.

I do like to be able to watch it through the whole flight cycle. Another 100 ft. would be nice though.

There is always a trade off to be made with flying models regardless of Motor class.

with our Micros larger easier to handle parts mean a little more mass and frontal area drag = lower altitude.
about all that can be done to increase altitude with our T4 and T5 models is:

A) Build them as light as possible, Limiting excess Glues, Paint and Primer to a single coat. Rounding or airfoiling the fin unit. And using as little wadding or switching to a Teflon Streamer/wadding. My finished Do-Hickey weighs in at 10.0g without motor giving a lift-off mass of 11.1g iIt generally gets about 35-40feet on a single MMX-II.

B) Add a couple motors to the model in external minimum T2+ pods. Might be a perfect place for a couple MMX-II-NE motors;) I'd think 2 making the model a 3 motor cluster would give plenty of altitude without drasticly altering the look of the model.

Larry: While Streamers may not seem to be required it's been my experience they help in visual tracking returning model and finding said model in high grass or other ground clutter. Streamers also give the model an active recovery system which makes those who don't know about model rocketry see we are SAFETY First minded. Use an active recovery system whenever you can...it's good for the hobby;)

Thanks for the feedback, John, the streamer will be back on the doo-Hickey for the next flight.

Larry

Many of our Micro to the MAXX models turn in much better flights (altitude wise) than the doo-hickey. That model, along with the Mud Wasp aren't designed for high flying. Rather they are designed for easy assembly to get younger kids (and older) introduced to micro rocketry with the greatest chance for success. For that reason, the parts are a bit bulky, as are the kits themselves, and they use basswood instead of balsa, cuz balsa breaks easier.

For speed/altitude, take a look at the Crayons and the Big Honkin' Rocket :D

Other models that don't fly terribly high are the Stinger and the TOG as their claim to fame is appearance and not performance.

It all depends on what you are looking for in a model :)

jim

Thanks for the info, Jim. I guess at this stage of the game I'm trying to get a sense of what it is like to work with small parts and also to see what the flight patterns are like. I actually enjoy seeing the whole flight pattern and the doo-Hickey gave me all of that. It was also easy to work with. I also have the Crayon and Mud Wasp to work on. It should be interesting.

Cheers,

Larry

Thanks for the info, Jim. I guess at this stage of the game I'm trying to get a sense of what it is like to work with small parts and also to see what the flight patterns are like. I actually enjoy seeing the whole flight pattern and the doo-Hickey gave me all of that. It was also easy to work with. I also have the Crayon and Mud Wasp to work on. It should be interesting.

Cheers,

Larry

Larry:
Cluster the Mud Wasp! it's just TOOOO heavy on a single MMX-II only gets about 8-10feet LOL!!!
I'm looking at adding at least 2- T2+ Capped pods inside the a couple of the outer T3 body tubes for an in-line 3 motor cluster to mine:)

MM 342p4_MudWasp Decaled Complete_02-10-08.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back