Open Rocket???

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

justinaskin

Reaction score
I just came across the program Open Rocket.

Does any one have insight on how to use the program. I am havig a big problem with all the different material and terms they are using.

LOL I am very new to rocketry.

Start by clicking on the nose cone icon. A window will pop up to set the nose cone parameters. Select shape, length, diameter, material type, whether it's filled or not. Click on the shoulder tab and set those parameters.

Once you have the nose cone set close that window and click on the body tube icon. A window will pop up with the body tube parameters. Select length. diameter, wall thickness and material type. If it is a minimum diameter rocket click on the motors tab, check the "this component is a motor mount" box, click the select motors tab, choose the motor to be used in simulatons.

Next do fins, centering rings, inner tubes, engine block, chutes, streamers, shock cords etc. Each icon will bring up a window with a new set of parameters to be selected.

Once you have "assembled" your design select the flight simulations tab. Click the new simulation tab, select simulation parameters and click the run simulation tab. Sim data will be posted, you can plot the sim by clicking on the plot simulation tab, there are more parameters that can be selected.

The best way to become familiar with the program is to sit down and start working with it. After an hour you will be familiar, after a few hours you will be a pro. It is a very simple and intutitive program and a useful tool for designing rockets and running simulations.

There is much more to the program but if I were to go into every detail this post would become a users manual. If you post specific questions I will be happy to answer them to the best of my abillity.

I just started using this program tonight and it is pretty cool, especially with the plots to estimate proper delay time.

It was estimating my rockets at less than their actual weight so I added a "mass" right at the CG to make up for the difference. I'm assuming this difference is largely paint and finishing? I don't have an unfinished rocket at the moment to test this theory :)

some is paint/glue, and some is simply the wrong densities for various materials...Estes bt55 for example has a density of .5oz per in^3. it is fairly easy to weigh your materials before hand and use the mass over ride as needed.
rex

What's with what looks like wedding bands on the nosecone of the splash screen on 1.1.5?

OR.JPG

Last edited:
I just came across the program Open Rocket.

Does any one have insight on how to use the program. I am havig a big problem with all the different material and terms they are using.

LOL I am very new to rocketry.

One thing that will help you is a chart of the various body tube diameters and wall thicknesses. Here's one for the Estes body tubes.

View attachment estes body tubes.pdf

It doesn't seem to compute changes to the CG from composite propellent burn correctly. If the CG is in the center of the motor when new, it should be there when used as the propellent burns inward longitudinally from both ends. Instead, it will show the rocket going unstable during the burn.

I downloaded the software, double clicked on the file. My compression software opens, I extracted the files to its own directory...

How do I open the program?? There is no Start/install/icon whatever???? :confused: :confused:

Edit... Never mind, I found the answer in another thread discussing the same problem... "Right click, open with, Java".... stupid me...

Last edited:
Back