Fin beveling using a Chicago Electric Power Tools 95380 Router Table with Router

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Estes

Reaction score
Has anyone used a Chicago Electric Power Tools 95380 Router Table with Router with any great success to bevel fins? If so, please advise. Here is the link where I found info: https://www.harborfreight.com/router-table-with-router-95380.html
image_3236.jpg
Please note that I'm not an affiliate for Harbor Freight or endorsing this product. I am just doing a little fact finding prior to making a purchase. Thanks!

Never used a router since I don't own one, but I have used a Dremel grinding stone that had a grove cut into it from sharpening my lawn mower blade. Works great on the thicker, 1/8 to 1/4 inch basswood.

One tool I have found to be really great is a multi-tool. My is a craftsman but harbor freight sells a cheaper on.

Andrew

Jeff, I love using my router for all kinds of projects, but do not have a table for it. I think the one you have found is a good option and would work for your fins. We havnt met yet, but my son and I have been attending your club launches and ST2011, we have had a great time.

Has anyone used a Chicago Electric Power Tools 95380 Router Table with Router with any great success to bevel fins? If so, please advise. Here is the link where I found info: https://www.harborfreight.com/router-table-with-router-95380.html
View attachment 52125
Please note that I'm not an affiliate for Harbor Freight or endorsing this product. I am just doing a little fact finding prior to making a purchase. Thanks!

I would use a strait bit, use a lenght of 1" wood that you can bevel to the desired degree of bevel and attach it to your backstop.
then i would start the router and push the backstop backwards until you have the "protrusion" of the bit the same as you want your bevel depth.

I dont have a table, but my router came with a guide, so i just screwed a beveled jig to my guide, and use that.. using the bit to cut into the aligning jig, ensures you dont have gaps between the bit, and the supporting back stop(to kickout fins and cutoff fingers...) (i will see if i can get some pictures, works like a charm...) much better than i first started cutting bevels with a table saw.

some HF stuff is ok, the rest....ehh.

Suggestion:

use the $100 for a DeWalt, porter cable, etc. brand.

then use a piece of MDF to make a simple table and fence. just clamp the fence. Works much better than you might imagine.

You will probably want to make a zero clearance fence for this, for starters.

+1 to the small $100 DeWalt router recco. Be sure you buy one with a clear baseplate as they have much better visibility.

Back