NEWB Estes QCC Explorer Question

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi I'm new to the forum as well as new to model rocket building. Recently I purchased the Estes QCC Explorer kit, I realize that this is a skill level 4 rocket, and I am fairly new to rocket building, but I felt I would be up to the task if I took my time and followed the instructions carefully. Unfortunately by following the instructions carefully, I encountered a problem. In the section of the instructions for building the engine mount, they neglected to tell the builder to install the green engine block ring. It wasn't until after I have nearly completed the rocket did I notice this oversight. My question is, how important is the green engine block, and will the rocket function properly without it, or do I need to dissemble the rocket to install the ring? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

At this point, assuming that you installed the motor hook, you have two choices:
  1. You could wrap about 4 or 5 layers of 1/4" tape around the nozzle end of every Estes motor you use, remembering to cut a notch in the tape for the retainer hook.
  2. You could invest in a 24mm rms casing from either Aerotech or Rouse-Tech (which have thrust rings built into the nozzle end) and commit to using only composite motors in this particular model.
If you also left out the motor hook, your options broaden somewhat, with being able to install the green motor block, or using a CTI Pro24 motor.

Engine blocks are not a requirement, and if you ask Layne Pemberton, they could possibly cause cancer and infertility. You nearly never see them in high power rocketry, but in LPR they are used because it makes flight prep a little faster.

Find a rocketry club in your area, and bring the model to their next meeting or launch. Someone there will be happy to explain your options, and you just might learn some new tricks along the way.

G.D.

I'm a newb here too but here's an idea to throw at you, assuming you installed the metal clip.

What if you cut a notch in the block big enough to clear the clip end, spread the ring of glue with the scrap of balsa method, and then pushed the block in to the right depth with a motor casing?

Welcome to TRF, heavymetalrocket, and kudos to you for catching the error.

Welcome to TRF, heavymetalrocket, and kudos to you for catching the error.

I think he is looking for advise not welcomes though...:wink:
I just finished this rocket a few days ago and if you are only going to use C11-3 andD12-5 but not E's engines you could put the engine block 2 1/4'(I think) into the mount. so it is all good if you do that
I would never fly E's on this thing...1225' feet high, never see it again! :y:
Plz. ask any more questions if you have more!

Thanks for the ideas guys, and for welcoming me to the forum, I'm going to attempt pick1e's notched ring idea.

[POW]Eagle159;212193 said:
I think he is looking for advise not welcomes though...:wink:
I just finished this rocket a few days ago and if you are only going to use C11-3 andD12-5 but not E's engines you could put the engine block 2 1/4'(I think) into the mount. so it is all good if you do that
I would never fly E's on this thing...1225' feet high, never see it again! :y:
Plz. ask any more questions if you have more!

This is also a good idea, however I'm taking the balls to the wall approach, and I'm going with the e engines, I understand that there is a risk of never seeing the rocket again, but that is a risk I'm willing to take.

Hey heavymetalrocket,

first off, welcome to TRF.

I have made this mistake before and figured the hook would be enough. I would strongly recommend taking pick1e's advice and try to get it installed by cutting a notch into the block and sliding it past the hook. The force of the engine will eventually rip the hook through the engine mounting tube and pull it clear out. This happened to me on a rocket after just a couple launches, the biggest motor being a B6-4. I can't imagine it would last with an E motor

This is also a good idea, however I'm taking the balls to the wall approach, and I'm going with the e engines, I understand that there is a risk of never seeing the rocket again, but that is a risk I'm willing to take.

Maybe you should try a smaller engine like a C11 first so you can see how it flies... and don't loose it on the first flight. :wink:
Have you ever flew a D engine before... that is VERY powerful, I have never used an E before but wow your risky! You don't really need the engine block if you are only going to fly one flight,put some tape on the engine. As long as you have a engine hook than its O.K. to have no engine block...

Just wanted to let everyone know that with pick1e's advice and some clever positioning I was able to install the engine block. I actually spun it into place inside the engine mount tube. Just so I'm clear I have flown several rockets before, but I am new in the fact that I'm taking building more seriously, so though this is my first flight with a larger engine, I have build and used rockets before, so I'm not a complete newb.

Just wanted to let everyone know that with pick1e's advice and some clever positioning I was able to install the engine block. I actually spun it into place inside the engine mount tube. Just so I'm clear I have flown several rockets before, but I am new in the fact that I'm taking building more seriously, so though this is my first flight with a larger engine, I have build and used rockets before, so I'm not a complete newb.

:cyclops:

Last edited:
Way back in the dawns of time (early 60's) there was only the engine block. And friction fit via tape around the engine was the only way to prevent the engine from being spit out at ejection.

Then came the engine hook (chorus:"Yayyy"). Both engine block and hook were used, and everyone was happy.

Then came the late 70's, and the engine block was occasionally considered superfluous. That's fine, one less part to think about.

But then in the early 90's people noticed that in some rockets, after a few flights, the engine hook was ripping the tube, until the hook came loose, or some other catastrophe occurred.

So, the engine block is back.

But...

If you failed to put one in, it should be no big deal. If eventually you notice the hook moving forward a bit, just use a little tape around the motor to make movement a bit more difficult.

I'm glad you got it fixed heavymetalrocket. I just saw this thread so this is no use to you now, but if it happens again you might try feeding it down the body and gluing it in from the top.

I am thinking lightly tape the engine block to a wooden dowel or other long skinny object. Then feed it down from the top of the rocket. I will admit that this is going to be a lot harder than it sounds, but with a steady hand you could do it. After practicing a few times put some glue or epoxy on it (maybe 30 minute epoxy to give you the most time?) and then do it for real.

I'm glad you got it fixed heavymetalrocket. I just saw this thread so this is no use to you now, but if it happens again you might try feeding it down the body and gluing it in from the top.

I am thinking lightly tape the engine block to a wooden dowel or other long skinny object. Then feed it down from the top of the rocket. I will admit that this is going to be a lot harder than it sounds, but with a steady hand you could do it. After practicing a few times put some glue or epoxy on it (maybe 30 minute epoxy to give you the most time?) and then do it for real.

I am not familiar with this model but this is how I would have done it.

Back